Author Topic: A total noob to Ice Hockey - sore and loving it  (Read 24293 times)

AndyinSwindon

• When Hell Freezes Over...At least we can skate!
Re: A total noob to Ice Hockey - sore and loving it
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2017, 03:40:46 pm »
Hi Leif, sounds good to me, would be nice to meet a fellow aspiring player.

I played on Tuesday night (first time at home for weeks), and there were only 12 of us, so we played a 3 on 3 scrimmage.  Was immense fun, I scored a couple of goals (though one was a bit of a gimme, the other was pure luck).

Somehow, something just clicked a lot more.  I think the game in Manchester the other week somehow gave me the confidence to be a lot more physical.  I just have to discipline myself to keep both hands on the stick a lot more.

Started skating 07.01.17
Currently working through NISA LTS Levels.
Currently wobbling through hockey LTP sessions.

AndyinSwindon

« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2018, 08:50:59 pm »
Good Lord....has it really been that long!

Due to a few busy weeks, I've barely had a chance to get onto the forum, but I'm still here.

Updates.....hmmm, lots of them!

My son made it into the Swindon Wildcats Ice Hockey Academy, so has now officially left me in his wake.
My LTP sessions are still coming along, though not as quickly as I would like, but we are now focusing more on positioning, rather than acting like a group of cats chasing a laser pointer beam.
I have just passed my 'Learn To Skate' level 6, but have declined the option to move to level 7, as I'm still not happy with my inside 3 turns (bearing in mind I do them in hockey skates).  I have discussed with my coach that I am likely to stop lessons now, as my backwards crossovers are coming along, and I have no real interest in anything on levels 7 & 8 other than Mohawks.  I have suggested that rather than waste hours practising the impractical, I focus on the skills I do need on a one-to-one basis with him.
Skated at Braehead the other week, gorgeous rink, fantastic ice.  Skated on the Thursday (excellent) and Friday (not so excellent, was disco night and full of kids, so I left before I was chased out by a vigilante group).
 :-)
Started skating 07.01.17

Leif

« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2018, 09:06:00 pm »
Hi Andy

Glad to hear you are progressing. Yes it has been a long time since you last posted.

By the way, there’s a charity hockey game at Swindon in July for the Brimble school, I don’t suppose you’ll be watching? I was wondering about going down, and maybe skating too.

Leif

AndyinSwindon

« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2018, 06:06:16 pm »
Hi Leif, good to hear from you.

I wasn't aware of the July game, but would be good to go and watch, and nice to meet up for a skate.

Started skating 07.01.17

Leif

« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2018, 09:57:03 pm »
Hi Andy, the charity game for Brimble is 28th July at Swindon in case you can make it. Details on Facebook. No idea about public skate times. I have an away match on Sunday, also at Swindon, assuming we can get enough players! I’m supposed to train Saturday evening, ha ha ha. Who are they kidding.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy