Author Topic: Ice skates, sharpening and radius of hollow  (Read 2945 times)

Leif

Ice skates, sharpening and radius of hollow
« on: November 01, 2016, 01:33:58 pm »
I'm a recreational skater and I recently bought some new ice skates, Bauer Vapor X500, to replace my very old cheapo Bauers, which were probably made from sealskin and whale bone.  :) Anyway, the new ones were a nightmare for the first 10 hours or so on ice. I checked the blades, and the new ones have a much smaller radius of hollow. The old ones sometimes slipped sideways, maybe because I am not heavy (5'11" and 11 stone).

So, when you get your hockey skates sharpened, do you ask for a specific radius of hollow? If so, what? In the past I've just asked for them to be sharpened.

Giuli.Jules

Re: Ice skates, sharpening and radius of hollow
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 12:34:05 pm »
I'm not a hockey skater but I always specify what hollow to sharpen my figure skates at...  I'm sure it can apply to hockey skates as well.

Leif

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 02:35:02 pm »
I'm not a hockey skater but I always specify what hollow to sharpen my figure skates at...  I'm sure it can apply to hockey skates as well.

Thank you, that is useful to know. I'll have a chat with the sharpener next time I see him and see what he recommends. I read that a large RoH is more suitable for inexperienced skaters, and I think that is what he put on my old skates, but the new ones were already sharpened, so probably a RoH for the typical hockey player.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 05:07:08 pm »
A 1/2" is a good grind to start with; but each to their own.

As you mention you recreational skate at the moment; if you try playing hockey just remember that the ice pad temperature might be reduced (colder) which will mean slightly less grip.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Leif

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 06:35:09 pm »
Thank you. I will try that. Sadly I am too old (53) for hockey. I don't think the knees would survive.  :)

Leif

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 07:22:26 pm »
Thanks again. The skate sharpener said he thought my skates had been badly sharpened. He did not say it but I suspect he thought they still had the original manufacturer sharpen. Anyway, he sharpened them and refused payment, which is good of him, as he said the rink shop should have done it properly. I asked for a 5/8" radius of hollow (I asked an attendant what he asked for) and the difference is astonishing. After a few minutes warming up, confidence was coming back, and I was able to slide again.

Leif

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 06:59:03 pm »
Just to add that I had the new skates sharpened at a reputable shop to a 5/8" hollow, as before, but the difference is significant, I am much more stable now, only fell once last session, when trying a tricky move, I normally fall many times. Guildford rink seem to have done several poor sharpens on my skates. I had the old ones checked, and the left one had almost no outside edge, no wonder my foot would sometimes slide sideways without any effort. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy