Author Topic: Giving Hockey a go!  (Read 1921 times)

LauraJane

Giving Hockey a go!
« on: December 01, 2015, 05:55:44 pm »
Hey everyone!

I'm making the move from figure skating to hockey and am going along to my first session tonight! Anyone else made the move over? I was a confident skater in figures but am seriously missing the toe picks and had no idea how much the balance differs. I can just about manage crossovers, backwards skating and stopping so think I just about meet the basic skating level required.  I've never played hockey before so any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Laura

Steve+Kayleigh

Re: Giving Hockey a go!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 04:40:28 pm »
I never played hockey, but I went the other way.

When Kayleigh started skating I bought some Graf f-10's, trying to re-capture my boyhood days I guess.
But after a while I realised that I wanted to do more than just skate around so purchased some Graf 500 figure skates.

These wore out and I'm now in Jackson Freestyles in which I have done many Skate UK grades ans some bits from Bronze  dance. I did have a part in our local ice production too.

Good luck with the hockey. As someone once said to me, figure skating is difficult, but hockey is hard!

alextom1988

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 02:49:55 pm »
The best advise I can give you is bend your knees. Hockey stances tend to be lower so get comfortable in more of a crouch position but still keep your body weight over your skates. The main skating style is the power stride, where you keep your leading foot straight whilst pushing with your following foot angled in a T shape. Practice pushing with full extension and then switching quickly..

Dont be afraid to ask your teammates questions too.

Hope you enjoy the switch.

MadMax

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 09:43:36 pm »
You tend to learn to skate fast when you play hockey as your brain switches from what you are doing to the puck. Always try and keep your stick on the floor and lean on it to balance
Ice Hockey is DEFINITELY harder, but Figure Skating is DEFINITELY more difficult.

Skate UK 1-10, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and playing Hockey.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy