Author Topic: How to get the best score  (Read 4714 times)

stevedunkgrass

How to get the best score
« on: June 11, 2015, 06:53:42 pm »
Hi all
My daughter is going to compete for the first time in September at Lee Valley. She has competed in a team event more for experience than anything. How ever not being to clued up on figure skating a thought I would try and guess what sort of score some of the skaters would get in the individual competition and was hopeless. So what I would like is what gets a good score;
ie, would a good high single jump score more than a bad double.
Also having had experience in competing in gymnastics to get a good score toes needed to be pointed legs straight body straight.
What else can effect the score I a routine positive and negative.
Thanks Steve

katepilarr

Re: How to get the best score
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 10:07:05 pm »
i think the best would be to leave it to the coach who knows better than us skaters.  Perhaps people whose children compete will come up with some advice.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:15:08 pm by katepilarr »
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

beginner skater

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 09:07:22 am »
I' m no expert, judging is very complex. Ice skating for dummies has a lot of info, altho is American & out of date, it will give you an idea. But for your daughter's level, you would have to find info from NISA and ask her coaches. I suspect it would be hard to summarise in a post. HTH

stevedunkgrass

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 09:42:33 am »
Thanks for the replys
I think I will have to do a bit more reading (ice skating for dummies). Think I will need to be a little more patient. Hopefully the more comps we go too and the more routines and scores I see I will start to get a better understanding. To be fair I have utubed the jumps several times but still cant tell the difference when watching other skaters. Hopefully though, over time my eyes will become more tuned in.

granita

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 12:23:51 am »
If she's competing under IJS (which I guess she is if she's doing the Lee Valley September event) then to understand how the scoring works, there's a big helpful table of how judges mark the elements here: http://sk8stuff.com/traindocs/5_levels_perspective.pdf

So to answer your specific question eg. a plain base value single toeloop is worth 0.4. If it's really good, it'll get +3 grade of execution, which is another ).6, total 1.0

Meanwhile a double toe is worth 1.3, but -3 GOE would knock 0.6 off it, total 0.7. So at the extremes, the good single is better. But I think you'll rarely see +3GOE at lower levels.

To understand what makes a jump "good" for GOE, scroll down in that document to p10 for the jump bullet points and you'll find height, extension, flow and several other things.

Hope that's helpful. That document only covers the technical elements side of scoring, there's also scoring for skating skills, transitions etc, which is even more complicated!

Good luck to your daughter!
Passed level two field moves 29/5/12
Passed level two elements and free 17/6/14

stevedunkgrass

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 12:52:16 pm »
Thanks Granita. Great link.
Wife filmed daughters routine on her phone and to be fair I think first thing she needs to work on is linking the moves better as you can almost see her thinking what she has to do next, so it doesn't flow to good at the moment. Only in June so got 3 months to hopefully improve. Only her first comp so will be just happy for her to complete her routine with out falling and hurting herself. Anything else would be a bonus.
Thanks Steve

kmatch

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 07:08:06 am »
You will have received a "pdf" after the competition which lists the scores for each part of your daughter's skating.  The coach will explain what all this means.  If you need a list of scores for each element you can see the information on "pdf"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISU_Judging_System 
You can see pdfs for the top competitors at international competitions as well - just try looking up the skaters name and pdf!

One interesting point about competitions is the need to concentrate on spins, especially at the lower levels, they can score quite good marks and are often given no mark at all if the number of revolutions is too few, if not low enough in sit spins, if leg not high enough in camel spins etc.  The first time my daughter competed in an IJS at level 3, she didn't get either spin marked at all even though they looked fine to me - but she was not alone, she came 4th out of about 20 - nearly all of those with lower scores had the same problem!

After a competition you can look up the pdfs of all the competitors so this can be helpful to see what you need to work on for the next competition.

Best of luck for the future!

stevedunkgrass

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 07:36:59 am »
Thanks Kmatch. Mollie-j has now competed and finished 14th scoring 10.7.
She wasn't quite ready for Lee Valley but competed at Basingstoke. Looking forward to the competition at Bradford.
The only negative I have regarding the comps and I'm sure I am not alone is that we don't find out till about a week before if Mollie-j gets in the competition. This makes thing difficult as we cant make any arrangements till then.

kmatch

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 01:08:13 pm »
Just a few points which may be helpful as a competition mum regular.

Usually the competition organisers will let applicants know if there have been too many entries and whether or not there is a reserve list in case of withdrawals.  You can withdraw before the closing date and get refund but not after unless you have a medical reason to withdraw.  If your daughter passes a test before the closing date you she would have to compete at whatever level that puts her in.  If she passes a test after the closing date she can skate at the level applied for or choose to move up - best to check that is what her coach wants! 

The worst part is not knowing which day the competition will be - usually a competition timetable (not the draw) will be published shortly after the closing date, although this depends on the organisers.  You may be able to ask them by email sooner.  The organisers are usually Club volunteers so some are quicker to organise the schedule than others.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions about competition will be happy to help.   :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy