Author Topic: Queens Ice and bowl - lessons for children  (Read 2066 times)

Senca

Queens Ice and bowl - lessons for children
« on: March 19, 2015, 10:54:14 am »
My 8.5 year old daughter would like to learn ice skating. I can't skate and have no experience with any aspect of it (apart from 1 trial at Hampton Court at Christmas :-) I am not sure if group lessons or 1 to 1 would be more suitable. We don't live very close to it and not sure if going to a group lesson once a week would be too time consuming for not much progress. Any thoughts/recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance!

granita

Re: Queens Ice and bowl - lessons for children
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 04:24:26 pm »

Queens skater here - welcome!

Group lessons are generally terrific for beginners and once a week would be fine if what she wants is to learn to confidently move about and have fun on an ice rink. Her first lessons would cover things like basic gliding and balance, stopping, getting up safely from a fall and so on.

The kids groups at Queens go right up through the 10 levels of Skate UK and "Passport" (it's officially known as Skate UK Star if you want to look it up). So she could get all the way up to a couple of single jumps and basic spins in just group lessons, although progress can slow down once you get up to turns and at some point you have to add in practice time as well as lessons. Loads of kids only ever get that far and it's a lot of fun before you get into more time-consuming and expensive advanced skating (which is also fun, but a very different level of commitment).
Passed level two field moves 29/5/12
Passed level two elements and free 17/6/14

Senca

Re: Queens Ice and bowl - lessons for children
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 04:31:50 pm »
thank you so much for your reply Granita!
We will go for a group lesson and she can always stay longer and practise so that our long journey there is worth the effort.
Thank you!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy