Author Topic: backwards lemons  (Read 8475 times)

Slippy Slider

• My 'expression of horror' on ice is Concentration!
Re: backwards lemons
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 07:59:31 pm »
Aww they will come with time!  Promise ;) 

I find them a good thing to do as part of my warm up.  They good for stretching the inner thigh and also means I practise them every time I go on the ice.  Means you can't escape them but they don't get rusty.

One of the other people who I was chatting to at the rink on Friday said that Lemons were always good to do as they tone up your legs - which sounds good to me!  They also recommended practising them regularly.
Lost in a world of infinite possibilities, but with no Chocolate Hobnobs  :P

allycat

• やった!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 08:10:48 pm »
I always practiced them at the side at first so I could get a push-off, but it's fine now. The bend and rise rule just seemed to work. Now I got the hang of them I've started to transition them into regular backwards skating - I find this a lot easier than moving backwards using that stepping motion from SkateUK Level 2!
Finally officially NISA Level 1 ;) :D

がんばってください!

Airyfairy76

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 08:17:36 pm »
One of the other people who I was chatting to at the rink on Friday said that Lemons were always good to do as they tone up your legs - which sounds good to me!  They also recommended practising them regularly.

I still do these most times that I skate, both forwards and backwards - and sweeneytodd is absolutely right that they will get easier with time   :)   I think its a mixture of your inner thighs getting stronger, and finding the rhythm with your knees bending. 
AMANDA

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance . . . "

www.iceneasy.blogspot.com

Gareth

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 08:31:01 pm »
This is taken from the coaches manual:

Stand with feet in an inverted 'V' position

Keep knees slightly bent and maintain posture

Push feet apart to approx. shoulder width by applying force to the inside edges of both feet

Pull feet together by bringing heels towards each other

Repeat the movement usig a rythm of 'bend-rise-bend-rise'. Bend the knees when feet go out, rise in the knees when the feet come back together.

Basically you need deep knee bends and a strong push outwards, when you get half way straighten the knees slightly and pull your heels together, then bend again ready for the next one. But remember...ALWAYS keep your back straight.

One thing i like to teach is a fairly big lemon followed by a two foot glide

Slippy Slider

• My 'expression of horror' on ice is Concentration!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 08:39:16 pm »
Hurrah, that was exactly what I heard when I went onto the NISA Skate UK Level 3 lesson (as per the similar thread). 

Skatingbabe, are you able to access this website with the Skate UK Lessons?  Certainly I find it helpful (although not as helpful - and friendly - as this forum!)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 09:09:47 pm by Slippy Slider »
Lost in a world of infinite possibilities, but with no Chocolate Hobnobs  :P

onlyhappyonice

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 01:19:56 pm »
It took me about 4 public sessions self taught to get backward sculling properly.  Now I'm helping my daughter to try and get her to pull her feet back together and not lean forwards :) and my 4 year old says he wants to have a go at skating backwards but he won't ACTUALLY listen to me or try it haha
Yes, I'm a guy... feel free to add me to MSN ([email protected])

Broke Back Ice Rink
I WISH I KNEW HOW TO QUIT YOU!

angel

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 08:14:31 pm »
I know that feeling. My 4 year old wants to learn how to skate but once she has sliped over once she cant stop laughing long enough to regain her balance.
skate uk level 1 started on 11/06/08
completed skate uk levels 1 and 2, 16/07/08

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 08:17:56 pm »
I remember years ago that I fell over and this little girl around 3 or 4 was in stitches for ages. For some strange reason it stuck in my mind all these years!!
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

sweeneytodd

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 08:24:31 pm »
It's amazing what you do remeber and the youngsters come out with some right classics.  I remeber walking into the Lady's and two girls about aged 8 in there talking about boys.  One said shut up when I walked in.  The other looked round and said.  Oh it's OK shes old!  Take it deafness comes automatically at age 35

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 08:28:47 pm »
If you have seen the new St Trinians movie, there is a scene where Flash Harry (not George Cole!!) is sorting out the vodka still racket that girls have going and asks if they have sorted out the problems after the snag with the woman who died from the vodka. The girls (ages about 12) said "yeh but she was old" and flash replied that she was 37!!!!
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

sweeneytodd

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 08:31:13 pm »
Oh I am old then.  This was going back couple of years so before the new film came out. So they didn't take it from there.  (maybe film was quoting them).

Thing that gets me is I spell checked previous post and alterations haven't gone through.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy