Author Topic: Backwards skating, Skate UK 4 HELP  (Read 10488 times)

Loops

Re: Backwards skating, Skate UK 4 HELP
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 08:28:21 pm »
Thanks Loops :) the really frustrating thing is feeling like I've gone backward (no pun intended) in my ability to do this. I can do a reasonably good ski-sit (against a wall) or 'invisible chair', thanks to doing gymnastics for a couple of years over my PE A Level so I guess it shouldn't be too bad, just need to remember not to lean forward and stick my tush out to counterbalance. All practice I suppose!

I have a couple of videos taken a few weeks ago of my backwards skating before everything seemed to go downhill, of anyone wants to see them?

Definitely don't lean forward and stick your bum out.  That will deffo bring you up on your picks.  Plus, you did gymnastics, so you probably have a nice bum, but "putting it out there" isn't considered good form  ;) 

Seriously, it's a weird feeling when you're doing it right (caveat- I learned how to do this 30 some odd years ago, but have just come back from a 25 year hiatus, so had to relearn some of these things even though they were kinda natural...body and thus balance points have changed a wee bit).  But you'll get used to it, and then you'll feel more comfortable.

Mieke_the_Hobbit

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 09:05:04 pm »
Plus, you did gymnastics, so you probably have a nice bum, but "putting it out there" isn't considered good form  ;).

More or less exactly what my coach said the other week haha!!

HannahB

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 08:25:11 am »
I'm also having problems with backward skating. This week in my lesson we went through all the level 3 and 4 stuff and started on outside 3 turns. My coach tells us that all our backward skating will pass if we get it a little faster. My problem with it is although I can do the push and keep the speed up I feel very unsteady gliding backwards on one foot for more than a fraction of a second because I don't feel like I have the balance right. Now that we're moving onto 3 turns I need to be able to do a backwards one foot glide. There are some suggestions about slowing it down to get technique right which I will try when I go this morning. I'm hoping it will come with practise as my coach hasn't mentioned that the technique is wrong. I can't offer any help I'm afraid, just giving you my experience of it so far- you're not alone! Good luck with your backwards  :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 08:27:49 am by HannahB »
What seems hard today, will one day be your warm up.

Noorah101

• Started skating April 2010
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 05:03:07 pm »
HannahB,

I'm sort of at the same point you are.  My backwards skating on 2 feet is OK, I can swizzle and also shift weight back and forth as long as 2 feet are always on the ice.  Shifting weight and picking one foot up is just scary, and I can do it (like you) for a fraction of a second.  I can hold it longer if I'm holding Coach's fingertips, and she swears I'm not using for balance, it's just a confidence thing.

Regarding 3-turns, I can tell you that I started learning 3-turns way before I started learning 1-foot backwards glides.  Coach had me learning the toe loop jump and Salchow jump, both of which involve a 3-turn before the jump (toe loop uses a right inside edge 3-turn, Salchow uses a left outside 3-turn, assuming you jump counter clockwise).  We used the wall to do the 3-turn part and then the jump.  So I just wanted to let you know, don't stress out about not being able to hold a backwards 1-foot glide before learning a 3-turn...you can use the wall for support while learning the 3-turn, even if you can't hold the glide after turning.

Actually I can hold a backwards 1-foot glide when I'm coming out of a jump like that, much better than I can from just a 2-foot backward glide...probably because my weight is most definitely over my landing foot, I don't have to "shift" my weight.  I am still doing these jumps by the wall, although I'm only lightly touching the wall.  So to practice backwards 1-foot glides, what I try to do is:  Do one of those jumps by the wall, landing on my right foot and holding that backwards glide as long as possible...then put my left foot down, do one backwards swizzle, then try shifting weight to pick up my right foot.  That way, I've already got some speed going backwards, plus a very obvious weight shift already there.

Keep practicing!

Rene
"When you truly want something, all the universe conspires to make it happen". ~ The Alchemist
http://britishexpats.com/blogs/MySkatingJournal

Mieke_the_Hobbit

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 06:57:37 pm »
Thought I'd give an update: you two ladies seem to be learning skills at a much faster rate than we are, other coaches at our rink did this with the 1-2 group, who were doing 3-turns and crossovers in their second week - this was met with annoyance from skaters and our coach especially. Admittedly they had only been skating for 2 weeks and not several years.

At my lesson yesterday we had a different coach, our usual one is away. As I hadn't managed to get to Ally Pally on Friday morning it was my first time onto the ice since Wednesday's frustration. This new coach explained much better the process of skating backwards, so now I understand what Steve-o is trying to say (a case of 'he thinks he's bringing across what he means but there is some room for slight misinterpretation). That allowed me really figure out the root of the problem: I'm terrified of skating backwards on one foot! After an hour on the ice I managed to get some wobbly 1-foot glides in, but I'm no more comfortable moving backwards on one foot. I suppose it's just a matter of practice to build confidence.

I'm having trouble with the backwards to forwards two foot turn though, probably not helped by the difficulty I still have with gliding backwards at any speed, as I don't want to fall backwards, which I've done on both back-to-front and front-to-back turns. I'm still concerned that I'm going to fail this grade.

Unrelated to backwards: does anyone know how to get more of a knee bend for forward chasses and edges - our coach wants bent knees and free leg in attitude - without loosening the top of my boots? Is it flexibility? Strength?

Noorah101

• Started skating April 2010
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 11:01:25 pm »
Unrelated to backwards: does anyone know how to get more of a knee bend for forward chasses and edges - our coach wants bent knees and free leg in attitude - without loosening the top of my boots? Is it flexibility? Strength?

The best tip that worked for me to get more knee bend is when my coach described it as "pressing into the ice" rather than "bending your knees".  So, if you are standing straight upright on the ice, start skating forward but try to feel like you're pressing your feet down into the ice (without leaning forward, backward, or anything).  Just a directly downward press.  That way, you get the correct hip / knee / ankle bend going on without losing your posture.

By the way, that "pressing down" technique helps with skating backwards, too.

Rene
"When you truly want something, all the universe conspires to make it happen". ~ The Alchemist
http://britishexpats.com/blogs/MySkatingJournal

iSk8

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 12:26:38 am »

Personally I'd just say practice, repetition and confidence.  Obviously if boots are too tight or stiff then it won't help.

As a first warm-up exercise on a dance course once we all had to skate round getting lower and lower with knee bend whist stretching the free leg and gliding.  Also to reduce number of strokes.  After a few circuits then other moves don't seem so bad ;) .  It isn't as easy as it sounds when you've just woken up.  It doesn't matter how much you think you bend, coach will always want more.

Mieke_the_Hobbit

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 01:56:20 am »
The best tip that worked for me to get more knee bend is when my coach described it as "pressing into the ice" rather than "bending your knees".

Yes, I've got that - sitting back as opposed to bending the knees and leaning forward, putting pressure through the knees into the ice, I find I balance best just behind the balls of my feet at a point when I can just feel my heels pressing down in my boots. Will that help with knee bends too? I find I can only bend so much before the boot itself restricts the depth of the bend, through my nearly-immobilised ankle. As I would like to eventually 'sit' all the way down in my teapots/sit spins (if I ever get there) I'm wondering how that's possible.

By the way, that "pressing down" technique helps with skating backwards, too.

Yes I know, t'was mentioned before (by you I think :) ). It has helped my stability, although I'm still terrified to go backwards on one foot!

Mieke_the_Hobbit

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 02:00:14 am »
Thanks for the exercise iSk8, I may give that a go tomorrow morning.

Obviously if boots are too tight or stiff then it won't help.

I don't think they're too right: I have small movement in my ankle, not so tight as to completely immobilise, not too loose so ankle is flopping every which way. They're not 'proper' skates, they're good-quality recreational skates and are by now well broken in and comfortable, they no longer feel stuff.

Loops

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2014, 08:15:17 am »
It doesn't matter how much you think you bend, coach will always want more.

Haha- that's the truth!

Mieke- when  you have a chance put your skates on and OFF ICE, without lifting your heels bend your knees forward.  If you can get them over your toes than your skates are just fine.  If you can't then stiffness could be a problem.  That knee bend is part strength (those wall sits) and I'm guessing part technique- just keep working on it and keep practicing.  The knee bend with the free-leg in attitude is good form and something you will be working on the entirely of your skating career, regardless of how advanced you get. Kind of like a Yogi trying to find perfect meditation. That's just the way it is. 

Mieke_the_Hobbit

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 03:42:06 pm »
Mieke- when  you have a chance put your skates on and OFF ICE, without lifting your heels bend your knees forward.  If you can get them over your toes than your skates are just fine.

I can do that - not immensely easily- so I suppose it's a matter of strength, as I presume I'm leaning forward too much, which doesn't help.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy