Author Topic: Backwards skating, Skate UK 4 HELP  (Read 10492 times)

Mieke_the_Hobbit

Re: Backwards skating, Skate UK 4 HELP
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 01:42:53 am »
lacey1, thank you for the videos.  I have a better idea what you mean now. :) 

Rene

Seconded, thanks very much, I'll give it a go on Friday morning when I go before my hospital appointment at Moorfields (I think I'd rather spend the day on the ice, even with my frustration right now!)

LissyJ

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 06:40:21 am »
Try to make sure to bend your knees enough so you can "get down into the hip" as you skate back. Before I did this, I found I was putting my weight towards my toes which led to speeding up without meaning to. As for turning your toes in, try to start from a /\ shape to begin with. That way you're forced to pick up the free foot (unless you want to practise the splits  ;) ).

You'll get the hang of it. I was the same as you, then one day to my surprise it just worked.

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 12:19:49 pm »
That's what we were told to do, start with toes turned in like for a lemon (or is it 'nomel' :P )

As forum members who know me, I have been using nomel for years

Welcome to the mad house

The Ice Mouse

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

Mieke_the_Hobbit

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 12:36:44 pm »
Try to make sure to bend your knees enough so you can "get down into the hip" as you skate back. Before I did this, I found I was putting my weight towards my toes which led to speeding up without meaning to.

Thanks for the tip; by 'get down into the hip' do you mean balance a bit further back by 'sitting' somewhat? Info seem to have my feet run away with me a lot as it were, I end up on my picks quite a lot, so I suspect I'm having the same problem you had.

As for turning your toes in, try to start from a /\ shape to begin with.

That's the issue I have. Unless I'm doing lemons I can't seem to keep my feet in /\ after the first push off, once I'm gliding backwards.

Mieke_the_Hobbit

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 12:38:10 pm »
Thanks for the welcome Ice Mouse :) I have, having been skulking around the forums for a while, noticed the use of 'nomels' by many. I like it!

Loops

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 02:23:40 pm »
Thanks for the tip; by 'get down into the hip' do you mean balance a bit further back by 'sitting' somewhat? Info seem to have my feet run away with me a lot as it were, I end up on my picks quite a lot, so I suspect I'm having the same problem you had.

Yes, I believe that's what she means.  When going backwards, knee-bend is very important (it always is, really), because you want to skate further back on your blades, and NOT be up on your toes (there should be no scratching with the picks).  The best way to achieve this is by bending those knees like you're going to sit down.  You'll be building some thigh muscles, too during this whole process!

You'll get it!  Just keep practicing and listening to your coach.  Going backwards is a big step.

Mieke_the_Hobbit

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 03:30:49 pm »
Thanks Loops :) the really frustrating thing is feeling like I've gone backward (no pun intended) in my ability to do this. I can do a reasonably good ski-sit (against a wall) or 'invisible chair', thanks to doing gymnastics for a couple of years over my PE A Level so I guess it shouldn't be too bad, just need to remember not to lean forward and stick my tush out to counterbalance. All practice I suppose!

I have a couple of videos taken a few weeks ago of my backwards skating before everything seemed to go downhill, of anyone wants to see them?

Noorah101

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 03:53:21 pm »
That's what we were told to do, start with toes turned in like for a lemon (or is it 'nomel' :P) but keep the toes turned in, so we're not skating backwards on 'straight' feet', and always bringing the toes back together, like bringing the heels together with each stroke in forward skating. Or am I misinterpreting my coach?

You know what's funny?  In today's lesson, my coach had me work a lot on backwards, still trying for 1-foot glides.  And without me even mentioning it, she told me to turn my toes in more!  She's never said that before!  How weird that I mention it on this thread, and then my coach mentions it to me today!  LOL

So yes, continue with what your coach is telling you....I just got told the same thing!  :)

Rene
"When you truly want something, all the universe conspires to make it happen". ~ The Alchemist
http://britishexpats.com/blogs/MySkatingJournal

Mieke_the_Hobbit

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 04:43:25 pm »
So yes, continue with what your coach is telling you....I just got told the same thing!  :)

That's the one thing Steve-o has been telling us since day 1! I guess different coaches have different methods, our coach is very technical. I'll continue to *attempt* to keep my toes in. My next lesson is Monday evening, but our coach is away for two weeks so we won't see him again until the assessment week GULP.

LissyJ

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 06:29:01 pm »

That's the issue I have. Unless I'm doing lemons I can't seem to keep my feet in /\ after the first push off, once I'm gliding backwards.

Yep, sorry I should have been more clear on that. You want to feel like you're sitting down but make sure you aren't leaning your torso forwards to compensate. That's what I was doing which put me onto my toes, then the toe pick. When you find your balance you should find it easier to start picking up your free foot more. I found that let me place my free foot at a /or \ angle close to the skating foot, giving me a better feeling of control. Before, I had my feet about shoulder width apart and it felt really unstable. 

Noorah101

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 06:41:56 pm »
Yep, sorry I should have been more clear on that. You want to feel like you're sitting down but make sure you aren't leaning your torso forwards to compensate. That's what I was doing which put me onto my toes, then the toe pick. When you find your balance you should find it easier to start picking up your free foot more. I found that let me place my free foot at a /or \ angle close to the skating foot, giving me a better feeling of control. Before, I had my feet about shoulder width apart and it felt really unstable.

That's part of my problem, too.  I keep my feet too far apart on the backwards 2-foot glide, making it more difficult to shift my weight over one skate...that makes it too far of a reach to pick up my free foot.

I'm glad I'm not alone in my backwards difficulties!!  :)

Rene
"When you truly want something, all the universe conspires to make it happen". ~ The Alchemist
http://britishexpats.com/blogs/MySkatingJournal

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy