Author Topic: Starting Out  (Read 2215 times)

SteveW

Starting Out
« on: June 09, 2014, 11:06:32 pm »
Hello all,

I took up skating at Christmas and I've been doing Skate UK/one-to-one tuition.  I'm keen to give hockey a go and I'm planning to go along to some Learn to Play sessions later on in the year.

I can skate backwards and I'm starting forward crossovers, but what level did you all tend to be at when you took the plunge and started playing hockey?  Any advice would be gratefully received!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:11:24 pm by SteveW »

Steve+Kayleigh

Re: Starting Out
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 12:02:41 pm »
If you can do forward crossovers, snowplough or hockey stops, and maybe c-cuts backwards, you'll probably be fine to go on  a 'learn hockey' course. Backward crossovers would be a bonus, as would a backward stop.

If your rink has hockey courses then ask the coach there, maybe even go for a try-out.

I used to skate with a friend who is very into hockey and has his own hockey related business.
I can speak to him and get some tips and info if that would help - PM me later if you want to.

Steve

SteveW

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 11:21:22 pm »
If you can do forward crossovers, snowplough or hockey stops, and maybe c-cuts backwards, you'll probably be fine to go on  a 'learn hockey' course. Backward crossovers would be a bonus, as would a backward stop.

If your rink has hockey courses then ask the coach there, maybe even go for a try-out.

I used to skate with a friend who is very into hockey and has his own hockey related business.
I can speak to him and get some tips and info if that would help - PM me later if you want to.

Steve

Thanks for that, Steve!  I've been in touch with the guy doing the hockey course and he's given me an idea, but I wanted to see what others' experience was because it's a very different view when you're coming into it from scratch!  I'll drop you a PM, appreciate it.

MadMax

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 03:14:33 pm »
For our guys it is crossover forwards and backwards both ways and hockey stop confidently  O0 . But we have had some worse skaters and they do tend to learn quick, but the main reason to be at that level is for safety (especially good stopping).
Ice Hockey is DEFINITELY harder, but Figure Skating is DEFINITELY more difficult.

Skate UK 1-10, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and playing Hockey.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy