Author Topic: Skipping Skate UK Level 6?  (Read 2573 times)

starz07

Skipping Skate UK Level 6?
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:32:08 pm »
Next week is my second lesson of level 6 and i feel like i've got the elements like outside three turn pretty solid. I currently take group lessons but do you think its possible for me to ask my coach whether i could move up to level 7?

Steve+Kayleigh

Re: Skipping Skate UK Level 6?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 04:48:22 pm »
Hi, and welcome to the forums.

I don't know how well you get on with your coach so it's hard to say if you should ask. I would normally say 'No'.

The SkateUK program has certain elements to be completed - you should have a log book with these moves listed and the ones you've already done signed off. What has happened so far for you to get to level 6?

Around level 4/5 Kayleigh started having 15min private lessons which did advance her a little quicker. She still had her group lessons but on one or two occasions she went up a grade or two within the 6 week course/level period.

It may just be an idea to ask your coach what your weak points are for the grade you're on, and for any tips to help pass them. That way you've expressed an interest in wanting to move on to the next level without actually asking, if you see what I mean.

Good luck,
Steve

granita

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:51:20 pm »
It depends on the format of your group lessons and how many students there are, but I'd think it wouldn't be fair to take up lesson time giving you an early test week. Maybe you could ask if they think you could get signed off in one extra 15 minute private lesson so you can jump up to level 7.

But bear in mind - what you think is a solid outside 3 turn could *always* use more work. It may pass L6, but you'll be working on them for years and years yet! And testing them in various forms again and again. So time spent on consolidating them now isn't ever going to be time wasted.
Passed level two field moves 29/5/12
Passed level two elements and free 17/6/14

hanca

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 02:44:04 pm »
I would book a coach for private lesson and ask her to test me from the level 6. If the coach thinks it is of acceptable standard, he/she will sign it off. Why should you waste the remaining 4 weeks on something that you can do? But be aware that if the coach doesn't think it is good enough, you may be advised to stay at the same level and practice more the weakest elements.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy