Author Topic: Learning to Ice skate, but painful flat feet...can't decide on skates...advice?  (Read 7531 times)

sscheinfe

So, I've been trying to get into ice skating. First, a few important stats:

-I am an adult, male, in so-so shape (yes, round is a shape!), decently tall - 5'8", or 172cm for you :)
-I have flat feet, and in the past needed orthotics (not so much so now).
-I've been self-learning on figure skates for a little while, so I am used to those.
-Oh, and I am from NYC, so pardon any American slang :)

I can "pseudo-skate" fairly with the crappy rentals, but after about 15-20 minutes the pain in my feet becomes unbearable. After an hour or so of going on and off the ice (as my feet allow), my feet hurt so much I can barely walk, my knees ache horribly, and my toes are numb (and frost-bitten).

I tried buying some stock insoles from a local pharmacy, which had absolutely no effect whatsoever.

I want to buy skates to learn on, but honestly I have no idea what kind.

It seems that most stores just do not sell figure skates for men, as hockey skates are the "manly" thing to skate in. I have tried hockey skates; while the setup felt much more stable and the boot far more comfortable than figure skates (which tend to have very hard, very flat bottoms), I found myself constantly falling backwards, because without that little extension at the rear end of the skate, I had nothing to apply back pressure-on. Perhaps I learned the wrong way on figure skates, relying on that extension for stability and balance, but I kept doing the "backwards run" (feet flying out forward) until I finally fell, over and over, backwards. Front stability was lousy as well and I ended up on my knees quite a bit...the hockey skate seems to require very precise balance, strength and control of foot pressure, which as a beginner I do not quite have.

I went to a local sports chain to try on skates, and of course they had no men's figure skates. Of the hockey skates I tried, some made my foot pronate (tilt outwards), while others were flat but tilted forward. Those that weren't too tight around the feet were not tight enough on the ankle (do I have wide feet??). The only one that felt remotely comfortable was an Easton; the Reeboks and Bauers were pretty hard and uncomfortable, and difficult to tighten around the ankle (stiff material). Of course all had very painful arches, with Easton being least painful (don't know if these are uniquely American-only brands).

So I guess I have a few questions:

(1) What do I do about the excruciating pain in the feet (and knees)? What are the best, most supportive insoles?

(2) Should I try to completely relearn to skate "from scratch" on hockey skates? Or stick with figure skates? Or is it possible to bolt a figure skate blade to a hockey skate body, for the best combo of comfort and stability?

(3) Anyone else have the problem of constantly falling backwards on hockey skates?

(4) How do i find a good boot balance between a not-too-tight foot with a sufficiently tight ankle?

(5) Do skating shops exist where they could evaluate me in person and have an experienced person assess my needs? The big sports stores obviously don't have the expertise...

(6) Are there exercise I can do to strengthen my feet, knees,legs and thighs? I am a little overweight, and not in the best shape...

From across the pond, Thanks!

black

• Skate free
Howdy!

I currently use these; http://www.yoursole.com/us/mens/footbeds/thin-sport/

With regards to the other things; what do you want to do with your skating? "get into ice skating" is a little vague.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Noorah101

• Started skating April 2010
(1) What do I do about the excruciating pain in the feet (and knees)? What are the best, most supportive insoles?
There is something called "Superfeet" insoles, I'm not sure if they are specifically for skating, but I use them.  I wear orthodics in everyday life, so I needed them.  I've used them since I started skating 4 years ago and have no problems with arch support or foot pain.  I got them at my local figure skating shop, but I see Amazon sells them:  http://www.amazon.com/Superfeet-Yellow-Premium-Insoles-Juniors/dp/B00354QU20.  Even if you buy on Amazon, I'd wait until you buy your figure skates, and have the fitter cut them down, he can determine exactly where you foot should be placed on the insole.

(2) Should I try to completely relearn to skate "from scratch" on hockey skates? Or stick with figure skates? Or is it possible to bolt a figure skate blade to a hockey skate body, for the best combo of comfort and stability?
It really just depends what you want to do more...figure skating or hockey skating.  Pick one, buy the correct boots for it, and take some lessons.

(4) How do i find a good boot balance between a not-too-tight foot with a sufficiently tight ankle?
The only way is to try on a variety of different boot styles and sizes.

(5) Do skating shops exist where they could evaluate me in person and have an experienced person assess my needs?
YES!  And I highly suggest that's where you go.  You'll get to try on a variety of boots, you can get professionally fitted, and they have specialty supplies, like thin cotton socks, those Superfeete insoles, blade guards, etc.  I'm on my second pair of boots and I can't imagine having to "buy them off the rack", or "sight unseen on the internet".  Definitely find a specialty shop and go for a fitting.

(6) Are there exercise I can do to strengthen my feet, knees,legs and thighs? I am a little overweight, and not in the best shape...
Yes!  Squats, lunges, balancing on one foot, extending the leg to the side or back while tensing the butt muscles (lol), etc.  Do a google search for off-ice skating exercises.  I recently bought a Bosu Ball and I love it!  It's really helping me with leg workouts and balance.

I am NOT a thin person at all, I'm overweight too, but that has not stopped me from skating.  I've discovered that you don't have to be a thin person to skate...you just have to have some core strength, balance, and determination. :)

You aren't across the pond from me, but across the USA...hehehe...I'm in Arizona. :)

Rene
"When you truly want something, all the universe conspires to make it happen". ~ The Alchemist
http://britishexpats.com/blogs/MySkatingJournal

akshayv

My plantar fasciitis is so much better and I felt the healing almost immediately. I say healing because with me using the inserts my feet are feeling so much better even when barefoot. I can get out of bed and walk in the morning with no problem. For over a year I was trying all sorts of inserts at the drug store and went for therapy, but no real change. Orthofeet inserts worked right away. I have had them a month and I ordered a second set just so I won't be without them. I also got the sandals which I love too. I use them as slippers. Maybe you will come out with slippers, I hope :) 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy