Author Topic: Who plays rec and where and to what standard?  (Read 1363 times)

bosh

Who plays rec and where and to what standard?
« on: October 11, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »
Afternoon,

Looking into rec hockey but don't know the standard level that is required / normal to start with.  Done a beginners course, got the gear but adult hockey training isn't really catered for (not round here anyway..West Midlands / Staffs based) so rec hockey seems to be the step forward....but will it be too big a step?

So my question is in the title...who, where and what standard were you when you started?

Cheers.

learnedrobb

Re: Who plays rec and where and to what standard?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 12:57:51 PM »
At the Silver Blades rink in Cannock (West Midlands), they run 'Learn To Play' sessions, and to participate there, you need to have reached Level 5 on the Skate UK 'Learn To Skate' program.

I would assume most clubs for insurance purposes will require a similar level of skill/qualification.

Try contacting the rink at Cannock to see if they have any rec teams who play there.

Lin k to the learn to play: http://www.silver-blades.co.uk/page/Ice_Hockey_Basics/Cannock

Florence

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »
Maybe give Uttoxeter a ring too, I've seen that they do hockey basics on a Monday now and seen nets there so maybe they do rec playing too

Sure Telford do hockey too, have a look on their website :)

bosh

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 11:11:32 AM »
Cheers for the feedback.

Always found Cannock to be a 'quirky' rink.  Its the central partitions that get to me and Uttoxeter is about the same size (minus the partitions) but everyone is on top of each other due to its size - while playing hockey anyway.

Can find only the Leisurebox in Brum do any training sessions that allows adults - Solihull don't and neither do Telford.  Sad really as I just want to get the basic skills up so I dont look like a waddling duck before attempting rec - the duck thing is something that I have a natural presence on ice to achieve. Damn my closed hips and lack of confidence.

Still got hopes up for the possible rink in West Brom next summer/autumn but will try out the Leisurebox in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again for the feedback.

MadMax

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 02:23:01 AM »
Just give it a try  :D you learn fast when you are out there in kit.
Ice Hockey is DEFINITELY harder, but Figure Skating is DEFINITELY more difficult.

Skate UK 1-10, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and playing Hockey.