Author Topic: Another rink to close  (Read 6786 times)

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
Re: Another rink to close
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 08:47:44 pm »
...and what will we do without the 5 pillars of wisdom?

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

iSk8

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 09:20:00 pm »
...and what will we do without the 5 pillars of wisdom?

Given those obstacles, wouldn't a replacement rink be a better objective?

I do note that the petition is more towards keeping ice skating in Hemel.
Also seems a good starting point for that person on the forum who wanted to build another ice rink in the UK.  Replace the rink.  Existing, enthusiastic and sizeable (?) group of local skaters - so instant income stream for return on investment.  Seems to tick a lot of boxes for making a successful investment.

23inmyhead

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 10:11:17 pm »
Given those obstacles, wouldn't a replacement rink be a better objective?

I do note that the petition is more towards keeping ice skating in Hemel.
Also seems a good starting point for that person on the forum who wanted to build another ice rink in the UK.  Replace the rink.  Existing, enthusiastic and sizeable (?) group of local skaters - so instant income stream for return on investment.  Seems to tick a lot of boxes for making a successful investment.

A replacement rink would be fabulous and I think that is probably the tack that will be taken with the council but at the moment it is nothing but a pipe dream. At the moment we are looking at no rink at all and no alternative place to skate within an hour's drive. So if that person who wanted to build a new rink is reading this, Hemel or that area would be a fab place to build a new rink.
In the meantime please everyone, sign our petition.

iSk8

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 10:46:30 pm »

A replacement rink would be fabulous and I think that is probably the tack that will be taken with the council but at the moment it is nothing but a pipe dream. At the moment we are looking at no rink at all and no alternative place to skate within an hour's drive. So if that person who wanted to build a new rink is reading this, Hemel or that area would be a fab place to build a new rink.
In the meantime please everyone, sign our petition.

First obstacle seems to be that the council claim that [Planet Ice say that(?)] the rink is uneconomic.  You seem to have had a good response, but from experience petitions, sadly, don't really count for much.  You  need an action group which gets some hard facts instead of emotions.

23inmyhead

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 06:39:26 pm »
First obstacle seems to be that the council claim that [Planet Ice say that(?)] the rink is uneconomic.  You seem to have had a good response, but from experience petitions, sadly, don't really count for much.  You  need an action group which gets some hard facts instead of emotions.

We are putting an action group together and gathering hard facts as well as getting as much press coverage as possible and contacting MPs.  To be honest, I'm not hopeful we will change anything but we have to try.

annagrainger

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 07:27:44 pm »

We are putting an action group together and gathering hard facts as well as getting as much press coverage as possible and contacting MPs.  To be honest, I'm not hopeful we will change anything but we have to try.

Good luck . I really hope you can get the decision reversed.
Started skating 26.7.13
Level 9 passed 13.3.14
Just 2 elements of level 10 left

katepilarr

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 10:16:05 pm »
hehe, every little helps :DD will sign when i get home and get reliable internet connections. sad to see any rink close!
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

23inmyhead

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 09:35:39 pm »
Thanks to everyone who has signed so far, it all helps. We've been getting some good publicity including 3 appearances on BBC London TV today and some radio interviews. We will not go down without a fight so if you haven't signed the petition please can you do so. It doesn't matter where you live, as skaters we should all be fighting to keep rinks open.
Thank you very much.
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/dacorum-borough-council-save-our-rink

santa-maria

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 08:49:15 pm »
On the contrary - John Neville stated in a meeting with us that site has been profitable..

Statement from Planet Ice:
 "The current landlord Capital & Regional have served notice on us forcing us to close as we understand that they have sold the site to Tesco Pension Trust Ltd on a conditional basis. We have known for some time now that this day will come and its particular disappointing that both sites will close their doors permanently as there is no intention to provide either an ice rink or water fun activity facility at the redeveloped site. As councils in the UK fight to gain leisure facilities such ice rinks and swimming pools it’s rather sad that Dacorum council has assisted this redevelopment by removing long standing covenants which has actively encouraged the closure."

And Council:
Statement from Dacorum Borough Council:
  "Operators were not willing to take the ice rink on as it was simply not making money, but we didn't want the site to sit empty and unused. There was... really no alternative but to lift the covenant which tied the land use to the ice rink.”
"The lease was signed nearly 20 years ago when leisure provision was very different, and contains a condition that we shouldn't hold back landlord consent as long as we were satisfied with their reasons for development.”
"We are confident that the landlord Capital and Regional have made the correct commercial decision and the regeneration of Jarman Park is a key part of our exciting plans for Hemel Hempstead."

And Capreg:
Statement from spokesperson for Capital & Regional: 
“The proposals for Jarman Fields will provide a long overdue, modern, twenty-first century leisure venue for the people of Hemel Hempstead. This will include the creation of a new restaurant quarter supporting the existing cinema, along with a new gym and bowling alley.”
“Sadly, the ice rink is not economically sustainable and, as a result, it is not possible to retain it as an ongoing part of the development. We have worked hard to find alternative uses for the site and strongly believe that the completed development will make a significant contribution to the leisure facilities available to the wider community in Hemel Hempstead.”

And

Statement from Tesco Pension Trust:
"The property is currently owned by Capital & Regional who introduced Tesco Pensions Trustees as potential investors to the proposed leisure centre redevelopment. At this point, plans had already been approved by the local planning authority. The Pension fund had no involvement in the decision about the  proposed development, which included removal of the ice rink. The ice rink tenant had been in Administration and the operation was deemed unviable prior to our involvement."

And please again, sign our petition even if you don't live in the area or never skated in Jarman Park. More support we can show - more chances to keep it open or find investments.

Thanx Santa

Life is just question of priorities...

For Fame, Glory and Cuddly toys..

iSk8

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 10:47:30 pm »
So, between them, they've decided that they don't really want an ice rink, but don't actually want to say that.  Instead they wish to make it appear to be everyone else's fault?

PR :(   Don't you just love it.

black

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 08:18:34 am »
Given the evidence I'd say some folk(s) aren't telling the truth, or at the very least, they're being economical with the truth.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy