Author Topic: First outing on new hockey skates  (Read 3913 times)

Iced Cookie

• Living on the edge
First outing on new hockey skates
« on: May 21, 2013, 10:29:46 am »
So I took the plunge and bought a pair of Bauer Supreme one.5's on ebay at a bargain price of £27 and they are virtually brand new! the rink sharpeners reckon they have never been sharpened..bonus !  :)

It took a while get over the fact that it felt like I was skating in moon boots but I had a lot of fun

They feel weird I kept tightening them so much that my feet nearly fell off but it was a delight not to have aching feet when I got off the ice after

The thing I found really odd was the amount of times I fell/nearly feel because of the lack of toe picks....isn't that supposed to be the other way around??

22/05/11 Started Skate UK
25/03/12 Completed Skate UK
16/09/12 Completed Passport Free
05/05/13 Completed Passport Dance

MadMax

Re: First outing on new hockey skates
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 03:38:55 pm »
LOL, well done.. sounds like you got a bargain there. It will take you a little while to get used to not having toe pics and then a little while to get used to them when you switch back again after. Can you hockey stop yet?
Ice Hockey is DEFINITELY harder, but Figure Skating is DEFINITELY more difficult.

Skate UK 1-10, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and playing Hockey.

Iced Cookie

• Living on the edge
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 04:11:28 pm »
LOL, well done.. sounds like you got a bargain there. It will take you a little while to get used to not having toe pics and then a little while to get used to them when you switch back again after. Can you hockey stop yet?

Yeah i can hockey stop to the left, I was working on stopping to the right the other day. I struggle to snow plough which from what I saw at one of the scrimmages may need some work on because a lot of people were doing it.

Don't know if it will be of any use at all but I can hockey stop on one foot too!? lol   

Florence

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 05:57:38 pm »
^ you'd fit well in with the young uns at one of my local rinks then! They do that one foot hockey stop at speed and it looks very impressive! You would need to learn to skate with your hands in your pockets with a little swagger too though to look like a true hockey kid  8) 

(Do they do that for a reason or is it purely to look cool? or am I just incredibly old?)

I've always wandered if it feels very different in Figure v Hockey skates. Have tried my son's size 4 on which fit me but I know would be too tight to skate in. Have been waiting for him to hit size 5 , he has slow growing feet though  :(

I want to try that thing where you roll over onto the front of the foot (where your picks are on figures).

Also notice lot of hockey peeps have there ankles laces dead loose  ???  is that how supposed to wear them or are they just cheating with the ankle bends? (This is why am so slow progress, spend too much time watching others!)

Iced Cookie

• Living on the edge
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 09:13:36 pm »
I'd end up flat on my face if I skated with my hands in my pockets! And I am a little to old for that(though fighting it hard)

Not sure what the rolling over onto front of foot thing is! I tried rolling onto my toes whilst skating backwards as I would in figures causing me to stop unfortunately there being no pick my legs went from under me and I slid on my belly down the rink!

Steve+Kayleigh

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 09:23:58 pm »
Those Bauers are about £160+ so you DID get a bargain.

I nearly bought some Graf Supra 301's on eBay. Similar thing - they were about £170+ to buy (don't know if they are still available here, seen them in USA), but they went for £32! And they looked very new.

I don't think they'd have been much of an upgrade above my Ultra F-10's (not enough to justify another pair anyway). I think when these wear out I'll want a substantial upgrade. But congrats on your bargain.

I was snowploughing before I hockey stopped - had to learn the feel of the skate sliding before I'd turn my foot a full 90 deg. so learnt to slow down first.

But I'm having troubles with my other side too - just going to practice more!

'Rolling' to a stop on your toes would look like Elvis on ice!

Iced Cookie

• Living on the edge
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 09:34:31 pm »

'Rolling' to a stop on your toes would look like Elvis on ice!

I take it that's from forwards after my epic fail!?

I think that's why I ached so much after Sundays session I spent 2 hours snowploughing, hockey stopping mainly the bad way  and skating like I had a stick which must of looked really odd looking back......

Steve+Kayleigh

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 10:52:46 pm »
Didn't think about direction!

I saw a Youtube vid of someone coming to a stop by jumping onto their toes and digging them in looking like Elvis - get it right or you fall on your back or trip over! I don't think it was done from any great speed. It might have been George Southall.

But going backwards and suddenly remembering you have no toe picks when you want to stop is er... hazardous!

Iced Cookie

• Living on the edge
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 09:57:18 am »

But going backwards and suddenly remembering you have no toe picks when you want to stop is er... hazardous!

Only hazardous after you've leaned your toes forward!! he he  I use many ways to stop backwards I now know that when in hockeys that's not one of them

Failing that a quick spin/step to forwards does the trick 

Philtrum

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 02:21:54 pm »
I saw a Youtube vid of someone coming to a stop by jumping onto their toes and digging them in looking like Elvis - get it right or you fall on your back or trip over! I don't think it was done from any great speed. It might have been George Southall.

If its George Southall from the midlands, I know him ... small world lol

MadMax

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 04:57:46 pm »
Yeah a good one foot Hocky stop comes in handy so you can stop straight into an aggressive crossover or running position, but it will come with a bit of time. Being able to stop hard on both feet is beneficial but not essential as the aim is to keep moving most of the time. And remember anything tricky you do, you can always lean on your stick  O0
Ice Hockey is DEFINITELY harder, but Figure Skating is DEFINITELY more difficult.

Skate UK 1-10, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and playing Hockey.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy