Author Topic: Reasons to have a go at Hockey  (Read 4911 times)

linny40

• Started to learn Off-Ice Skating Jan 2012 age 50
Re: Reasons to have a go at Hockey
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 07:42:32 pm »
Its something that i am sure has been going on many yrs and will go on for many yrs more. Probably worse in the likes of the USA/Canada where they have far more hockey teams.

without being sexist here is it more a male sport?? due to the men being  quite "physical" with the opposing teams

Unfortunatly bad behaviour is something you cant really change - you can try, but as each person leaves another joins and they are lead by example from others so its say a group  of hockey  talk badly about the figures and vice vera the newbs to the group only know and learn that the "others" are not to be  seen to being mixed with.
If tat makes sense ( does in my head)

As a society as a whole EVERYONE should get along with EVERYONE - unfortunately life is not that  simple :(
L1 Off-Ice skating coach-June 2013
Broke Ankle 2014 -no skating since

Steve+Kayleigh

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 08:40:17 pm »

without being sexist here is it more a male sport?? due to the men being  quite "physical" with the opposing teams

No. UK has its own womens league...

http://www.eiha.co.uk/Leagues/Womens.aspx

Kayleigh's doing SkateUK and wants to do hockey at some point.

She loves practicing all her spins and moves, and yet she's proud to wear this in some public sessions after her lesson...

As I've said before, I skate in hockey's but have lovely chats with ladies figure skating - there shouldn't be a divide and sometimes there isn't!

But you're right - peer pressure plays a big part.

linny40

• Started to learn Off-Ice Skating Jan 2012 age 50
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 10:20:16 pm »
oh cool thanks for sharing! will have to look it up out of interest :)
L1 Off-Ice skating coach-June 2013
Broke Ankle 2014 -no skating since

Steve+Kayleigh

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 11:24:57 am »

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 04:10:20 pm »
I've spotted someone I know on here now <waves at the learnedrobb :)> and will totally out myself to him with this post, but oh well...

I love BOTH sides of ice sports. I figure skate because hockey just isn't accessible at a rec level unless you have a driving licence, which I don't, and can't get. I skated in hockeys for a while, just a leisurely skate round the rink with my mates, then switched over.

Now, the problem I have with hockey skaters isn't the skates they wear. It's the fact that an awful lot of youngsters in hockey skates, skate at dangerous speeds on busy sessions, showing off to their mates. The marshalls at my rink are the worst for it! That being said, I have also nearly been taken out by somebody doing a spiral without looking behind them, so it doesn't matter what skates you have, common courtesy is common courtesy.

Roll on September when I'll be at a rink every weekend watching hockey, and then probably at a different rink on the other day to skate! :D
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Steve+Kayleigh

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 12:12:54 am »
Roll on September when I'll be at a rink every weekend watching hockey, and then probably at a different rink on the other day to skate! :D

Yeah, looking forward to the next season as well. Although just found out my daughters hero will not be playing for our local team next season. It'll be kinda funny having someone I admire score goals against us.

gositspinxxx

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 07:35:08 pm »
I have found hockey to be a really enjoyable experience! Long story, but basically my coach is married to the hockey coach. I helped at a couple of games and was dying for a shot. Coach said it might help with my skating so I could try training with the boys. At first I found it really strange, new skates, very different coaching style, and a team full of boys. I have no intentions of playing any games and my hand-eye co-ordination leaves me on my face a lot but it's really helped my skating. I have better edges and quicker response. I stop better and can skate quite a bit faster. Although my coach was quite worried about learning bad habbits switching between the two hasn't been a problem!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy