Author Topic: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome  (Read 94123 times)

SicklySweet

Re: What are you finding difficult and or need advice on Post here
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 03:48:13 pm »
I have not skated since Tuesday and still can't go till the coming Thursday. I think I have withdrawal sytpyoms.
Skate UK 06/01/13
Currently level 9

23inmyhead

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 04:46:56 pm »
Have you tried doing the movement for a mowhawk off ice so you become comfortable with the foot position?

When I walk my dog off the lead and have to turn around to see where he's got to I always do it as a Mohawk turn. I'm brilliant at them on the playing fields but still really hopeless at them on ice  ;)

iSk8

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 06:00:45 pm »
I've just started learning backwards crossovers, and I always drag my toepick on the ice!  Argh! 

Rene

Check the position of your head if your looking at your feet your more likely to be on your toe pick. ;)

Ice Queen is correct - basically you're too far forwards over the front of your skate.  Lots of possible reasons for that.  If you're looking at your feet (ice), then that's a highly likely reason.  Too relaxed/sloppy can be another reason, but it's probably something as simple as incorrect position.  Try straightening up a bit AND bending knees at the appropriate points.

Don't get too far back - that's just as bad for catching the back of the skate.

iSk8

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 06:11:40 pm »
Mohawks are the bain of my life at the mo... problem my free leg where do i need to put it on ice I've been told its meant to be like a T postion then put it on ice but honestly my feet won't do it! I've been told various things but none seem to have worked for me :(
literally the only thing I can't do and only just realizing this week I need them for dance...  :-[

Where you put your foot depends on whether you're doing a closed or open mohawk (it refers to the position of the hips after the mohawk, which depends where your free leg is after the mohawk).  Search the forum for further details.  If you're just learning it then it's probably also an inside mohawk and not an outside mohawk.  The mohawk you do depends on the dance.

Your feet are in a sort of 'T', although I find it's probably more than 90º for an open mohawk and pretty much 90º for a closed mohawk.  Others may find it different.

Lily

• Skating Illini
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 06:17:35 pm »
I've changed the name of the thread to something more positive feel free to post for advice O0

That's better :) I don't like to look at something I'm struggling with as not having achieved it, but just that it needs more work. It's much more productive to focus on what you HAVE achieved  O0

Something I am really finding hard though is the one foot spin. I can do a lovely 1 foot spin from a forward pivot, getting 3-5 revs consistently and proper exit. However coach wants me to do it from a forward push off into 3 turn to pass silver, as she thinks that otherwise the spin from backwards crossovers on gold will hold me back and get me down :( I just can't seem to hold the forward outside edge and keep rushing the three turn and losing my balance. I know a lot of it is to do with my free leg position :-\
Skate UK 15/08/2012 - 25/02/2013
Passed Bronze Free 14/05/2013
Passed Silver Free 18/06/2013
Skating in Riedell 910LS with Coronation Ace Blades

ice queen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 06:31:05 pm »
You need good knee bend too to maintain the edge

Florence

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 07:12:55 pm »

Thank you transmissionoftheflame , I didn't think it was negative or depressing either.... more realistic and unfluffy .... to the point  :)

Thank you sanctuaryred, re Mohawks, think you are right with the foot, won't bore you with the details why  ;)

That's better :)  I don't like to look at something I'm struggling with as not having achieved it, but just that it needs more work. It's much more productive to focus on what you HAVE achieved  O0

Well as long as your happy illni, that's all that matters yeah  :)

Personally, I don't like the new title!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:17:55 pm by happyfeet »

ice queen

• Global Moderator
Re: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 08:27:14 pm »
New thread name didn't mean to upset our forum regulars  :(

so come on keep posting what's currently causing you great frustration one of the forum members might be able to solve your latest skating problem

sanctuaryRed

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2013, 08:29:17 pm »
Mines the inside three turn, getting the turn a bit better but not got the backwards edge working yet grrr
Passed Skate UK level 7 - 14/05/13
Passed Skate UK level 8 - 24/06/13
Passed Skate UK level 9+10 - 16/09/13
Passed bronze free - 17/02/14

ice queen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2013, 08:37:46 pm »
3 turns are all about knee bend you go in on a bended or soft knee it's only when you want to turn that you rise up you should then bend after the turn to maintain the running edge

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2013, 08:43:40 pm »
Well, I struggled a lot today! My blades need sharpening but we have no grinding wheel at the moment. As I was with a friend though, I just had a nice leisurely skate.

Any tips on how to stop being scared of backwards 1 foot glides?! :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy