Author Topic: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome  (Read 94100 times)

SeanMHC

Re: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome
« Reply #495 on: February 16, 2020, 10:50:32 pm »
Lots of people struggle with the backwards gliding in Level 3.  You are not alone.

You've identified a major part of the problem, which is almost certainly your weight being in the wrong place.  Try to bend your knees more, ensuring that you keep your weight (ie, your hips, shoulders and head) all in a line over the middle of your blades.  If it helps, try doing backwards swizzles/lemons, bringing your feet parallel between each one and then lifting alternate feet for a one-foot glide on the flat of the blade between each swizzle.  As you get more confident with this, feeling your weight being lined up over the middle of the blade, you should be able to adjust the exercise so you push more with one foot and glide on the other, eventually moving the weight enough that you glide on a backwards outside edge but start off with the swizzles.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Skating backwards is more about transfer of weight than anything else but until you get confident enough to do it, it's a tricky one.

I think I cracked it on this weeks lesson. Had a little practice on the public skate on Wednesday, bent my knees and dropped into a more squat position with my weight over my gliding foot and got moving! By the time it got to Saturdays lesson I could do it well enough to get a bit of speed and two foot glide! Not sure I was fully on my outside edges when I lifted one foot as it was quickly back down onto the next stroke, but that's to practice for next time!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #496 on: February 17, 2020, 01:33:58 pm »
I think I cracked it on this weeks lesson. Had a little practice on the public skate on Wednesday, bent my knees and dropped into a more squat position with my weight over my gliding foot and got moving! By the time it got to Saturdays lesson I could do it well enough to get a bit of speed and two foot glide! Not sure I was fully on my outside edges when I lifted one foot as it was quickly back down onto the next stroke, but that's to practice for next time!

Brilliant!  Keep going.   8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #497 on: March 09, 2020, 05:37:00 pm »
Didn't achieve one decent program run through last night. Every time, something would go awry.
Did get complimented by my coach though, for pushing through a particularly shocking one. As our rink is little, people scatter to the barriers during programs, then clap at the end. I wanted to tell them "don't applaud that, it was appalling!"

Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #498 on: March 13, 2020, 10:32:16 pm »
Didn't get to Worlds in Montreal for obvious reasons.  Gutted.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

connor_

« Reply #499 on: April 20, 2022, 02:06:22 pm »
multiple rotations on a twizzle  :(
i can only get round once no matter how hard i push into it, my hip drops and my foot goes down

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #500 on: April 20, 2022, 04:02:26 pm »
multiple rotations on a twizzle  :(
i can only get round once no matter how hard i push into it, my hip drops and my foot goes down

Practice double threes. (Twizzles are beastly.)

FootsieDAX

« Reply #501 on: April 20, 2022, 09:14:52 pm »
Hi, by double threes do you mean double three-turns? I am trying double twizzles, and sometimes they work, but most of the time they do not. Funny thing is that if I tell myself I can do them, I manage a couple, but then my confidence drops again and I fail to do the next ones   :(

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #502 on: April 20, 2022, 09:23:05 pm »
My coach says a twizzle is a double 3 turn, sped up. So yes, work on double 3 turns and it should help the twizzles :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #503 on: April 20, 2022, 10:18:32 pm »
Hi, by double threes do you mean double three-turns? I am trying double twizzles, and sometimes they work, but most of the time they do not. Funny thing is that if I tell myself I can do them, I manage a couple, but then my confidence drops again and I fail to do the next ones   :(

Yes, double three turns.

FootsieDAX

« Reply #504 on: May 05, 2022, 08:24:16 pm »
I can't do a proper sit spin, after almost a year of trying... I cannot find that point on the blade where I need to rotate, I either go on the toepick or on the heel. Same for camel spin, can't do that one either, but I've only tried to do it for about a month. Oh well. Just thought I'd share my frustration  ;D

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #505 on: May 05, 2022, 09:31:04 pm »
I've been trying to do a sit spin for 15 years but I am too old, weak and lacking in talent.  I tried a couple of camels when I had a coach, God knows what she was thinking.  I can't even do a proper RFO edge!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy