Author Topic: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome  (Read 94071 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome
« Reply #484 on: February 01, 2020, 10:25:31 pm »
Today went better thanks. I still can't do the 3 turns but having an optimistic attitude (and a different instructor) definitely helped me to feel like I am making progress again.

HURRAH!  You will always be making progress, even if you can't see it.   ;)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #485 on: February 02, 2020, 08:40:46 pm »
Salchows. I can do the 3 turn, and I can do the jump as two separate things. Putting them together isn't happening.

And there's 2 in my program. Joy.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #486 on: February 02, 2020, 10:55:43 pm »
Salchows. I can do the 3 turn, and I can do the jump as two separate things. Putting them together isn't happening.

And there's 2 in my program. Joy.

Then do them from a different entry.  The thing that makes a Salchow a Salchow is the take-off from a back inside edge.  How you get into that edge is up to you.  You don't have to do a 3 turn...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #487 on: February 03, 2020, 05:44:00 am »
I've tried different ways, and the 3 turn is actually the most successful. The only issue is a teeny little tap down of my free foot before I jump. Need to get more of my weight over my left side to stop that, coach has given me some tips so just needs lots of practice. Will have a play with the entry again next session though, just to see if it helps :)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #488 on: February 07, 2020, 08:39:32 pm »
I'm catching my (new, massive) toe picks when I push forwards.  This is not good.  The problem stems from being a dancer and wearing dance blades for a long time.  In dance blades, you can point your foot more quickly as there's very little pick to get in the way.  In Phantoms, you have no such luxury; the toe picks are massive and although I don't fall over them because my balance and posture are correct, I do clip it slightly on the pushes.  Gah.  I am not happy about this.  At all.

SeanMHC

« Reply #489 on: February 11, 2020, 05:00:26 pm »
I'm on level 3 of the Skate UK program, and one thing I just can't get the hang of is going backwards. I was fast tracked up to level 3 last week, with my backwards march being the weakest, I was so off balance and shaky. Level 3 requires a backwards glide, but I can't seem to get the concept. I don't know if it's a mental thing, I think it probably is, but my weight is completely off. I try imagine a square around my feet and that i'm pushing into the top left and right corners, but I end up putting all my weight on my forwards leg and don't go anywhere. I think it's something I need to practice and practice, but it's set me back and I was really annoyed with myself as I left the ice.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #490 on: February 11, 2020, 07:01:04 pm »
Lots of people struggle with the backwards gliding in Level 3.  You are not alone.

You've identified a major part of the problem, which is almost certainly your weight being in the wrong place.  Try to bend your knees more, ensuring that you keep your weight (ie, your hips, shoulders and head) all in a line over the middle of your blades.  If it helps, try doing backwards swizzles/lemons, bringing your feet parallel between each one and then lifting alternate feet for a one-foot glide on the flat of the blade between each swizzle.  As you get more confident with this, feeling your weight being lined up over the middle of the blade, you should be able to adjust the exercise so you push more with one foot and glide on the other, eventually moving the weight enough that you glide on a backwards outside edge but start off with the swizzles.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Skating backwards is more about transfer of weight than anything else but until you get confident enough to do it, it's a tricky one.

SeanMHC

« Reply #491 on: February 11, 2020, 08:46:04 pm »
Lots of people struggle with the backwards gliding in Level 3.  You are not alone.

You've identified a major part of the problem, which is almost certainly your weight being in the wrong place.  Try to bend your knees more, ensuring that you keep your weight (ie, your hips, shoulders and head) all in a line over the middle of your blades.  If it helps, try doing backwards swizzles/lemons, bringing your feet parallel between each one and then lifting alternate feet for a one-foot glide on the flat of the blade between each swizzle.  As you get more confident with this, feeling your weight being lined up over the middle of the blade, you should be able to adjust the exercise so you push more with one foot and glide on the other, eventually moving the weight enough that you glide on a backwards outside edge but start off with the swizzles.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Skating backwards is more about transfer of weight than anything else but until you get confident enough to do it, it's a tricky one.

Phew, I thought I was the only one. By the time everyone else has crossed the rink i'm about half way.. mostly due to swizzles or backwards marching. I'm off down to the rink tomorrow night for an evening session and I will definitely give this a go. Just when I was finding my confidence in forward skating, they introduce more backwards stuff which is absolutely terrifying to me!

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #492 on: February 11, 2020, 10:03:37 pm »
Then do them from a different entry.  The thing that makes a Salchow a Salchow is the take-off from a back inside edge.  How you get into that edge is up to you.  You don't have to do a 3 turn...

Lately I've been doing a Sal from a mohawk - somehow it reduces the tendency for it to be too swingy - it's easier to stay a bit straighter off a mohawk.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #493 on: February 11, 2020, 10:06:48 pm »
Phew, I thought I was the only one. By the time everyone else has crossed the rink i'm about half way.. mostly due to swizzles or backwards marching. I'm off down to the rink tomorrow night for an evening session and I will definitely give this a go. Just when I was finding my confidence in forward skating, they introduce more backwards stuff which is absolutely terrifying to me!

Oh, good lord, you are definitely NOT the only one!  Not at all.  I know several adults who have been skating for a year or so and who are still struggling with anything involving backwards.  If it helps at all, backward crossovers - which probably sound like one of the worst things in the world right now - are actually more like going sideways and you can see where you're going.  I find it always helps if you can see what you're about to hit... ;)   

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #494 on: February 16, 2020, 08:20:06 pm »
Well, I didn't fall over tonight, and I did go to the rink despite my lesson being cancelled as coach didn't want to brave the country roads near where he lives in the weather.
But honestly, what an absolute plank day. Couldn't get my boots right, couldn't jump and spins have gone from beautiful 3 rotation things to absolutely awful.
Sigh, next week will be better.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy