Author Topic: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome  (Read 94076 times)

Leif

Re: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome
« Reply #462 on: December 27, 2019, 06:50:03 pm »
I have only actually skated once since my last post and spent majority of that time barrier hugging!

I am intending to go much more often after the holidays to get my confidence back. I feel so nauseous and nervous at the moment it's irrational  ;D

I am determined to get back to where I was pre ailments!  And I need to stop using them as a get out clause now 😁

I second WM’s post. It’s not irrational, some of us are scared and I for one was when I started. I was very scared when learning transitions. GForm knee and elbow pads are good value and will help. I have Xion shorts with a coccyx pad. These go under clothes so you can pretend you are dead ‘ard and people won’t mess with you. It’s not easy at the start, so keep your pecker up.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #463 on: December 27, 2019, 10:00:02 pm »
I second WM’s post. It’s not irrational, some of us are scared and I for one was when I started. I was very scared when learning transitions. GForm knee and elbow pads are good value and will help. I have Xion shorts with a coccyx pad. These go under clothes so you can pretend you are dead ‘ard and people won’t mess with you. It’s not easy at the start, so keep your pecker up.

I never really had much time for padding when I was younger and coaching - other than possibly for people learning double/triple jumps and taking a lot of falls from height and speed, but even then I felt it might hinder their confidence for skating without it.  Coming back to skating in my fifties, however, (after an unfortunate accident and almost 20 years out) I can now empathise much, much more with the sheer terror felt by adults learning to skate.  As I am having to teach my nerve-severed leg to skate again (and some days it's really not listening or interested!), I am actually quite terrified pretty much all the time I'm on the ice!  But I also love it when it goes well.  And I am now firmly of the opinion that if wearing padding makes the difference between skating and not skating, then wear as much of it as you want.  Enjoy skating.  Minimise fear.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Florence

« Reply #464 on: December 30, 2019, 09:24:51 pm »
hi guys,

I dont think is a fear of falling but more a fear of twisting or moving the wrong way and ending up with back pain. I am now considering the halo or some kind of protective hat though, at least until I get some competent balance going again. x

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #465 on: December 30, 2019, 09:54:33 pm »
hi guys,

I dont think is a fear of falling but more a fear of twisting or moving the wrong way and ending up with back pain. I am now considering the halo or some kind of protective hat though, at least until I get some competent balance going again. x

Do you also do anything to strengthen your back that might help to prevent possible back pain? 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #466 on: December 30, 2019, 10:01:35 pm »
Those lovely 3 rotation spins on one foot? Gone. Had 'em a couple of weeks ago, now they're back to 2 rotations.

Driving me mad trying to work out what's going on with me and spinning.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #467 on: December 30, 2019, 10:28:23 pm »
Those lovely 3 rotation spins on one foot? Gone. Had 'em a couple of weeks ago, now they're back to 2 rotations.

Driving me mad trying to work out what's going on with me and spinning.

Ach, that's just one rotation.  It'll be back.  With a few of its friends.   8)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #468 on: December 30, 2019, 10:30:37 pm »
Last week I didn't achieve anything as my usual session is a Wednesday and it was cancelled owing to somebody having a birthday...  And this week's session is also cancelled as, once again, the rink is closed.  No point in trying any other session because it will be a nightmare until the school holidays are over.

I did, however, manage to score a new pair of blades.  Can't wait till I can try them out...

Leif

« Reply #469 on: December 30, 2019, 11:15:38 pm »
hi guys,

I’m not sure that is how you get back pain. Two years ago I fell on my coccyx, and the next day I struggled to drive to work, and walk. It took a week before I could walk properly. Another time I fell on my coccyx, and the next day I was using my arms to pull myself along the carpet, I couldn’t even get on my knees to crawl. I now get regular back pain (sciatica) which I know is caused by the chairs at work. When I’m on holiday, the pain disappears.

I’ve said this many times, but stretching exercises are really useful for balance and flexibility and preventing injury. For example, sit on the side of a gym ball, feet in front of you and on the ground. Bend backwards over the gym ball, then bend forwards and touch your knees. Repeat. Simple, easy, and the gym ball costs ~£8. A roller is cheap and dead good too. Also if you can relax that will reduce the likelihood of injury. I realise that may be easier said then done.  :)

I think you can get a halo like thing that goes inside a pom pom hat, so it’s discrete. I think it’s too feminine for a male, but the halo is a great idea. I wore a skate boarding helmet for many months. Someone else did the same after he banged his head and a jar of yellow fluid oozed from his nose.  :o Oooh.

Florence

« Reply #470 on: January 08, 2020, 08:24:29 am »
WednesdayMarch .... I have now started Yoga and some back stretches from an app on my phone so fingers crossed will help. How are your new bades?

Leif ..... I have a degenerative cyst on my lumber / sacral spine so If I move in certain ways It can be really painfull. I will try the gymball at the gym! I am trying some stretches as the cyst was sat on my sciatic nerve and last year the best way to help the pain was to lean backwards, but now when I get on the Ice I dont feel balanced and actually do feel like Im leaning backwards ..... so after trying to stop the pain for a year leaning back, I do now need to correct my posture / balance.

I bought a roller, I have no idea what to do with it and when I tried It was painfull! Apparently the pain gets easier with use according to youtube?

I have been looking at hats though, more for confidence until feel better on the Ice. The new lessons started this week so I really would like to be able to enrol myself back on in six weeks time even if means going back down to level 2 ish. Any skating is better than none!

Thanks for advice guys, it really does help to motivate into doing what I know I need to x

Leif

« Reply #471 on: January 08, 2020, 09:05:54 am »
Sorry to hear about the cyst, best you listen to a physio or doctor then, not me, to be safe.  :)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2020, 03:00:21 pm »
Florence, you have checked with your doctor that it's okay to skate, haven't you...?  ???  Hopefully it is!

Yoga and stretching sound good.  And definitely invest in some form of proper protective headgear.  Ice halo or helmet.  Lots of choice out there.  I know a couple of ladies in Gosport and one in Plymouth who wear Ice Haloes and really like them.

If you end up going back to Level 2 in 6 weeks, don't think about it as a regressive step.  It's more about consolidation.  As a coach, the first thing I would do with any new student is go right back to basics with forward stroking.  Doesn't matter what level they think they are, everybody.  ;-) 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy