Author Topic: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome  (Read 94090 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome
« Reply #451 on: October 08, 2019, 09:31:32 am »
Oh Florence, you poor thing!  :o  That's very bad news indeed.

But great that you have actually had the nerve to get back on the ice, even whilst terrified.  I shall be watching for news of your progress and hoping that the cyst shrinks and you can get back to enjoying your skating.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Florence

« Reply #452 on: October 08, 2019, 09:41:15 am »
Thank you WM, it probably sounds worse than it is, although I feel like Ive aged ten years this last 12 months  :D 

DorvillAndTean

« Reply #453 on: October 10, 2019, 09:37:26 pm »
I still can't do stroking. When I do the 'glide' is very little. I can't change feet quick enough so keep pausing in between and can't even push off my left foot

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #454 on: October 10, 2019, 09:53:11 pm »
I still can't do stroking. When I do the 'glide' is very little. I can't change feet quick enough so keep pausing in between and can't even push off my left foot

Rome wasn't built in a day.  It'll come.  Try a glide on one foot, then on two feet while you get your balance and change to push off for a glide on the other foot.  In time you'll be able to spend less time on two feet.  Also start out pushing from the left foot to give that one a better chance.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #455 on: October 29, 2019, 11:05:14 am »
Back spins from pivot. Blah.
Also my Salchow has swapped with the toe loop and has gone for a holiday. Toe loop is actually OK at the moment.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #456 on: October 29, 2019, 11:44:30 am »
Back spins from pivot. Blah.

:o

What is this witchcraft?  I shall await the video evidence.

Also, have you considered coming over to The Dance Side...?  ;D

FootsieDAX

« Reply #457 on: December 22, 2019, 07:39:53 pm »
Hi everyone, I am new here on this forum, mature skater (above 45, let's say  ;)).
I have been enrolled in figure skating classes on and off for the past five years, but I did off-ice skating (with off-ice skates in gym halls) and recently, as those classes got cancelled, I moved to figure skating classes on ice. 
A couple of weeks ago I twisted my knee when doing backwards crossovers (silly accident, I wasn't paying attention, my blades crossed and I fell) and after spending one weekend without skating to allow the very painful knee to heal, I decided to go back to lessons this weekend -- just to find out two weeks wasn't enough for it to heal propely and I wasn't able to do much!  :-[ So the lesson is, when you have an MCL sprain, wait for it to heal properly before going back on the ice ... I just thought I'd share this nugget of wisdom.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #458 on: December 22, 2019, 09:56:44 pm »
Ouch!  I feel your pain.  I messed up my medial ligament when I wrecked my right knee.  Eventually had surgery to remove the kneecap and put it back in the right place.  Took me a bit longer than 2 weeks - closer to 20 years!  Hopefully you'll be healed and back on the ice once the Christmas holidays are over.  ; :)

FootsieDAX

« Reply #459 on: December 23, 2019, 10:34:14 pm »
Wow, and you got back on the ice after that? I don't think I could have done.
And thanks, yes, I hope it'll heal in a couple more weeks -- the worst part about it is that I now worry that it will happen again. Oh well, I hope that, too, will pass with time.

Florence

« Reply #460 on: December 26, 2019, 01:56:05 pm »
I have only actually skated once since my last post and spent majority of that time barrier hugging!

I am intending to go much more often after the holidays to get my confidence back. I feel so nauseous and nervous at the moment it's irrational  ;D

I am determined to get back to where I was pre ailments!  And I need to stop using them as a get out clause now 😁

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #461 on: December 26, 2019, 06:23:51 pm »
I have only actually skated once since my last post and spent majority of that time barrier hugging!

I am intending to go much more often after the holidays to get my confidence back. I feel so nauseous and nervous at the moment it's irrational  ;D

I am determined to get back to where I was pre ailments!  And I need to stop using them as a get out clause now 😁

If you're skating so infrequently, it's not unnatural to feel nervous and to hug the barrier.  May I suggest that you invest in either a helmet or an Ice Halo, so you needn't worry about bashing your head.  You may also find that other forms of crash protection help you to feel confident enough to make progress.  Lots of adults wear padding.  I didn't understand it before but I certainly do now!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy