Author Topic: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome  (Read 94098 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome
« Reply #407 on: April 04, 2019, 04:19:52 pm »
Even with my very modest skating skills, I'm only too happy to help a fellow beginner with a few tips on how to do stuff. In fact, I actually enjoy it when somebody asks me how to do something. Likewise, today I was at the rink and there weren't too many people about and got chatting to a chap in hockey skates who then gave me some crossover advice.

I like that kind of atmosphere. Much better than the young lads in hockey skates who just give you a "sorry mate" as they brush your elbow when they pass in a race with their mates.

And that, right there, is what makes skating as an adult such a great thing.  8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #408 on: April 05, 2019, 01:06:19 am »
And that, right there, is what makes skating as an adult such a great thing.  8)

Although I learnt basic skating 25 years ago, I didn’t start learning until three years ago when someone saw my pathetic skating, and decided to teach me a basic skill, namely a forwards to backwards transition. It took me ages, and lots of falling over, but I learnt it, and that made me realise that I could learn to skate properly. I still remember the young girl, maybe 10 years old, who kept telling me the basic move was easy, while watching me fall over. ;D I love the generally constructive and supportive attitude of almost everyone at the rink. Even the young lads in hockey skates can be pleasant, although I admit they can scare less able skaters. 

Leif

« Reply #409 on: May 05, 2019, 08:25:28 am »
I did public skating Tuesday evening, and the next morning my right calf was agony. Sometimes the pain is extreme, sometimes minor. There’s a small area of soreness, and I reckon it is a torn muscle. It still hurts, apparently I need to stretch it and wait three weeks for it to heal.  :-[

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #410 on: May 05, 2019, 08:31:05 am »
Do you recall feeling the tear?  Keep a close eye on it just in case it's a DVT...  :(

Hope you're healed and back skating soon.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #411 on: May 05, 2019, 11:32:53 am »
Do you recall feeling the tear?  Keep a close eye on it just in case it's a DVT...  :(

Hope you're healed and back skating soon.

Thanks. No, I felt nothing until the next morning, but I do run on adrenaline when on the ice. I will look out for DVT symptoms though I have a lean build, BP 120/60, heart rate 40 bpm, healthy diet, so I am at low risk of DVT. At present my main existential threat is dying of boredom. I’m even going to cut the lawn and trim the front hedge such is the level of tedium.  :o

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #412 on: May 05, 2019, 12:07:29 pm »
At present my main existential threat is dying of boredom. I’m even going to cut the lawn and trim the front hedge such is the level of tedium.  :o

Holy shin splints, Batman!  :o  You be careful out there.

Remember that you can practice skating in your head from the comfort of a deckchair.  It does actually help when you get back on the ice.

Leif

« Reply #413 on: May 05, 2019, 06:38:01 pm »
Holy shin splints, Batman!  :o  You be careful out there.

Remember that you can practice skating in your head from the comfort of a deckchair.  It does actually help when you get back on the ice.

Is a beer allowed? Had a lovely 2.7% IPA today. Good idea though, I will study the foot moves for the drunken man (barrel roll) trick. Now how was that for a segue.  :D

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #414 on: May 05, 2019, 07:39:17 pm »
Is a beer allowed? Had a lovely 2.7% IPA today. Good idea though, I will study the foot moves for the drunken man (barrel roll) trick. Now how was that for a segue.  :D

Smooth...  8)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #415 on: May 06, 2019, 03:11:04 pm »
Backwards cross rolls weren't happening last night. I'm getting better at them, sometimes I can do 3 or 4 in a row and get a rhythm going. Last night my brain and body was having none of it.

I also tense up so much when I do them and find them mentally exhausting. Poor coach, bet he thought I'd be alright with them by now 😂
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #416 on: May 25, 2019, 01:09:46 pm »
Toe loop. I'm baffled. I don't get what to do after the toe goes in.
What I want to do, is rotate on my pick til I'm forwards, then jump. But I know that's wrong...

Utterly baffled.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #417 on: May 25, 2019, 01:34:17 pm »
Toe loop. I'm baffled. I don't get what to do after the toe goes in.
What I want to do, is rotate on my pick til I'm forwards, then jump. But I know that's wrong...

That would make it a toe three jump, which is wrong.  Some people are inclined to do that, but if you ever want to progress past a single toe loop, it's a big mistake.

Basically, turn the three in preparation in a fairly straight line, bend the skating knee deeply, arms counter-rotated, extend the free leg to the rear, hips facing straight to the front rather than turned, tap in the toe pick and use it, along with the skating knee to JUMP.  Use your arms to help the uplift, bringing them in and together in front of the body.  If you can cross your free leg and foot in front of the landing leg in the air, this looks nicer (and is vital for double jumps) but isn't totally necessary.

Now, the landing part is very important.  Ideally, you land backwards on the forward part of the blade, whooshing your free leg to the rear once you land and extending it, whilst moving backwards on beautifully flowing edge with your arms outstretched and a big smile of triumph on your face.  And here's the most important part:-  However you land, one foot, two feet, whatever, however good or bad you think the jump was, always - unless you're actually on your backside on the ice - collect yourself and assume that beautiful landing position anyway.  Just do it like you landed it.  Apart from the fact it gets that landing position into your head, there will be somebody in the rink who didn't see you mess it up but who does see that landing position and assumes they just missed you doing something awesome.  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy