Author Topic: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome  (Read 94079 times)

AbiJ

Re: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome
« Reply #396 on: January 08, 2019, 04:46:28 pm »
I’m feeling very useless today, I just can’t do a proper single salchow from a backwards cross cut. I can do it from a stationary 3 turn (sort of) but as soon as I build up speed with the cross cuts first I bottle it when it comes to the jump. It’s so annoying, I got my salchow marked off ages ago- I’m only 2 sections off finishing gold but now that I have to revisit all those moves and put them into a sequence with music I just feel like everything I do is rubbish 😩
To make matters worse I have a real issue with confidence when there are certain other people on the ice, today there were a group of teens larking about all over the place which really puts me off, and also a lovely lady who is often there who skates beautifully but when she’s there I feel really self conscious and useless, which makes me feel awkward about practicing in case I fall over, it’s ridiculous!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #397 on: January 08, 2019, 11:20:18 pm »
I’m feeling very useless today, I just can’t do a proper single salchow from a backwards cross cut. I can do it from a stationary 3 turn (sort of) but as soon as I build up speed with the cross cuts first I bottle it when it comes to the jump. It’s so annoying, I got my salchow marked off ages ago- I’m only 2 sections off finishing gold but now that I have to revisit all those moves and put them into a sequence with music I just feel like everything I do is rubbish 😩

Ah, that's what is known as a "plank day", the kind of day when you skate like a plank rather than a skater.  Everybody has them.

To make matters worse I have a real issue with confidence when there are certain other people on the ice, today there were a group of teens larking about all over the place which really puts me off, and also a lovely lady who is often there who skates beautifully but when she’s there I feel really self conscious and useless, which makes me feel awkward about practicing in case I fall over, it’s ridiculous!

Teenagers larking around can be a pain but what you need to remember is that teenagers are more preoccupied with themselves and other teenagers than with other people.  They probably haven't even noticed you exist.  Just make sure they don't knock you over and go your own sweet way.

As for the lady "who skates beautifully" but makes you feel awkward, see above.  Everybody has plank days.  She'll have them too.  And there's probably somebody else who just started learning, who considers you somebody "who skates beautifully".   ;)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

AbiJ

« Reply #398 on: January 09, 2019, 12:19:08 am »
WednesdayMarch, thank you for that! It’s good to know I’m not the only one 😂 I sure did feel like a plank today. Fingers crossed Friday will be better ☝🏻

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #399 on: January 09, 2019, 07:12:55 am »
Just had to make the call to cancel tomorrow’s lesson. I’m still not well - was off work on Monday, and my 8 hour shift at a desk yesterday left me exhausted. So frustrating!
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

emmalah

« Reply #400 on: January 14, 2019, 09:56:04 pm »
I broke my wrist just before my first Skate UK session, was warming up on the ice when a kiddo sent me flying! I did manage to go through the whole lesson with a broken wrist but basically am written off for around 4 weeks. All support and sympathy welcome, feeling pretty frustrated at the situation currently - just want to be back on the ice!

Leif

« Reply #401 on: January 15, 2019, 08:08:51 am »
I broke my wrist just before my first Skate UK session, was warming up on the ice when a kiddo sent me flying! I did manage to go through the whole lesson with a broken wrist but basically am written off for around 4 weeks. All support and sympathy welcome, feeling pretty frustrated at the situation currently - just want to be back on the ice!

That's awful. Hope you get better soon. Not a lot you can do if someone goes into you, a few months ago I was standing still, recovering my breath when a toddler pushed a penguin into me from behind. My shoulder was sore for months. Small kids, especially the ones in hockey kit, and wobblers (new skaters with little control) are the worst.

AbiJ

« Reply #402 on: January 15, 2019, 01:11:56 pm »

Oh no! This is something I’m constantly scared of when I’m having a lesson and there are kids on the ice, I hope your wrist heals quickly.

emmalah

« Reply #403 on: January 17, 2019, 06:41:27 pm »
That's awful. Hope you get better soon. Not a lot you can do if someone goes into you, a few months ago I was standing still, recovering my breath when a toddler pushed a penguin into me from behind. My shoulder was sore for months. Small kids, especially the ones in hockey kit, and wobblers (new skaters with little control) are the worst.

Thank you! Kiddo's are crazy on the ice - good for them but not for adults like us  ;D

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #404 on: April 04, 2019, 09:02:59 am »
Wednesday's group class this week focussed on changes of edge, starting with two foot slaloms, then one foot slaloms, larger changes of edge, forwards and backwards, Field Move stuff.  Then, to "challenge" me and the other ice dancer, the coach gave us exercises involving backward changes of edge into double three turns.  She then "took pity" on us, remarking that if we didn't like backward inside threes, we could do an exercise involving a forward cross into inside open mohawk, change edge to backward outside and double threes from there before stepping forward into another forward crossover inside open mohawk, etc, etc.  We did it, but not in as beautifully smooth and controlled manner as we (dancers) would like!

Got home and basically turned into a cabbage.  Learning new things fries my brain even more than my legs and feet!  I think it's the massive effort (even if I don't realise it at the time) of coaxing my nerve-damaged leg into doing what I'm asking of it.  By 8pm last night I could barely walk or string a sentence together so I went to bed, and then couldn't sleep for the fire in my rebuilt knee.  Not sure whether I should try to skate twice a week now in order to get through this or whether that's just stupidly overdoing it...

Looked up the exercise this morning in the Technical Manual and it's FM Level 7 Exercise Perimeter Skating Backward Change Double Three.  I need a nap after just running through it in my head and I swear my knee has started to ache from thinking about it...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

physichull

« Reply #405 on: April 04, 2019, 03:57:40 pm »
Day off work today so went down to Widnes to try some new things.

Started off for the first hour horrendously. For some reason I had lost a fair bit of confidence and was a bit Bambi on ice. Not really sure why but I was stumbling all over the place. After a while I got back into it though and managed to try my forwards-backwards transitions with a bit more speed, using the technique where your feet stick out sideways and you  can glide and step round at much higher speeds. I'm by no means thrashing it round here, but its definitely a step up.

Crossovers were the next thing I tried. Last week it felt really alien to put one foot over the other but I kinda get it a bit more now. Its not pretty, its not graceful and its not consistent, but I kinda get the feeling of pushing the inside foot out (on its outside edge) when placing the other over it and I understand now in theory what I'm supposed to do. Just gotta teach my  body how to put the theory into practise. And I think that's all it'll take to be honest, a bit of practise. I think I've learnt the technique. I try to do it slowly at first and just practise it at slow speeds making a slight weaving path in the ice, stepping over one way then reversing over the next. I'm really clumsy with it though and very unsteady and perhaps only actually pull off one in every five crossover step attempts but its getting there. On four of the five occasions its either because my inside foot wobbles on the stepover at the point where the weight transitions from one side to the other (basically when switching over to using the outside edge and having to trust the outside edge), or I end up stomping the foot that's crossing over in front onto the ice.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 04:00:42 pm by physichull »

physichull

« Reply #406 on: April 04, 2019, 04:08:46 pm »
Sounds like the little charmer needed a lesson.  No doubt other people are grateful for that peace, too.

Even with my very modest skating skills, I'm only too happy to help a fellow beginner with a few tips on how to do stuff. In fact, I actually enjoy it when somebody asks me how to do something. Likewise, today I was at the rink and there weren't too many people about and got chatting to a chap in hockey skates who then gave me some crossover advice.

I like that kind of atmosphere. Much better than the young lads in hockey skates who just give you a "sorry mate" as they brush your elbow when they pass in a race with their mates.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy