Author Topic: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome  (Read 94075 times)

Florence

Re: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome
« Reply #385 on: December 10, 2018, 07:39:17 am »
Black, it's  been a while since I did any kitchen dancing!

We did have a short session yesterday whilst Xmas decorating, which resulted in UN breathable laughter (I will call it the Reindeer dance and leave the rest to imagination!)

We just need to translate that back onto the Ice!

Leif

« Reply #386 on: December 12, 2018, 08:15:28 am »
Last night I tried a front T stop on my left foot. I struggled for half an hour, and didn't get very far. I suspect it will take many sessions to learn to use that outside edge correctly. I can do a forwards one foot outside edge hockey stop on either foot, but this T stop is tough.

I can do a front T stop on my right foot, and a very useful stop it is too. I see figure skaters using it a lot, but I've never seen a hockey player using it during a game. Only one hockey skater I know can do it, odd since it is useful.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #387 on: December 12, 2018, 05:06:18 pm »
Last night I tried a front T stop on my left foot. I struggled for half an hour, and didn't get very far. I suspect it will take many sessions to learn to use that outside edge correctly. I can do a forwards one foot outside edge hockey stop on either foot, but this T stop is tough.

Now look, we've talked about this.  You'll never get through that audition for Holiday on Ice if you can't do ALL the stops in both directions...  ;D

Keep at it.  My go-to stop is that one, using my left foot as the brake.  Using the right foot is proving a challenge, as that was the leg that had to be put back together and it doesn't have any muscle memory - or much inclination to do what is asked of it at the moment.  (Much like the dog, but that's a different story!)  If we both practice it, we'll both get there.  And I suspect you'll get there first!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #388 on: December 13, 2018, 01:13:27 pm »
Now look, we've talked about this.  You'll never get through that audition for Holiday on Ice if you can't do ALL the stops in both directions...  ;D

:o That would ruin anyone's holiday ...

Keep at it.  My go-to stop is that one, using my left foot as the brake.  Using the right foot is proving a challenge, as that was the leg that had to be put back together and it doesn't have any muscle memory - or much inclination to do what is asked of it at the moment.  (Much like the dog, but that's a different story!)  If we both practice it, we'll both get there.  And I suspect you'll get there first!

That sounds like it was a nasty injury. I smashed up the end joint of my left index finger which is trivial in comparison.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #389 on: December 21, 2018, 06:13:21 am »
One foot spin. Aaaargh!

I get 2 very slow rotations and it feels like I’m just doing a big back inside edge. Said to coach last night I think spins will be my nemesis on passport, he just looked at me and went “No, they won’t.”  Love his optimism 😂
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #390 on: December 21, 2018, 11:41:06 am »
I get 2 very slow rotations and it feels like I’m just doing a big back inside edge. Said to coach last night I think spins will be my nemesis on passport, he just looked at me and went “No, they won’t.”  Love his optimism 😂

I'm with him on that.  Make sure you work on your outside edges.  The stronger you and more confident you are on those, the easier you'll find it to get onto that lovely outside spirally edge that takes you properly into a spin so that you can then be on the outside to flat when you're spinning.  Edges are the key to everything.  Enjoy them.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #391 on: January 07, 2019, 01:26:18 pm »
I failed to keep my temper. There is a little **** who goes to the two stick and puck sessions at our local rink. Most weeks over the last year he'd come out with a put down when on the benches, such as "why did you do that?" and "you shouldn't have done that" delivered in a "you total idiot" tone of voice. Maybe this does not sound much, but he's a good player, and he never comes out with friendly or helpful comments or even a "how are you", just put downs, and it was demoralising. So I lost my temper and gave the **** an earful. Quite why good players need to be nasty is beyond me. I've had peace and quiet since.  :D

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #392 on: January 07, 2019, 11:22:54 pm »
Quite why good players need to be nasty is beyond me. I've had peace and quiet since.  :D

They shouldn't.  That one will never make a teacher.

Sounds like the little charmer needed a lesson.  No doubt other people are grateful for that peace, too.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #393 on: January 08, 2019, 06:00:07 am »
I didn’t achieve skating on Sunday :( Have a horrible cold and was coughing every few minutes. Now just have the blocked nose so hoping to make it on Thursday.

Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Leif

« Reply #394 on: January 08, 2019, 08:28:40 am »
I didn’t achieve skating on Sunday :( Have a horrible cold and was coughing every few minutes. Now just have the blocked nose so hoping to make it on Thursday.

I think most of us had that one. Mine started just before my one week Christmas leave, and pretty much ended when I returned to work. The chap who picked up my car to take it to the body shop said he had a bug that left him in bed for days, so it could have been worse.

Leif

« Reply #395 on: January 08, 2019, 08:29:43 am »
No doubt other people are grateful for that peace, too.

If it stops him dumping on other novices then yes it'll have done a lot of good.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy