Author Topic: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome  (Read 93894 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome
« Reply #374 on: June 10, 2018, 11:27:56 am »
Brackets. I hate brackets and don’t understand their purpose, if I want to go backwards I just do a FO3. I can’t do brackets.

Brackets are a thing of joy!  Well, when you get your head round them.  Try thinking of them in the context of compulsory figures and the tracing on the ice, as that might help.  They're not a "bog standard" way of turning from backwards to forwards, but skating is about beautiful movements and flowing transitions, and brackets - along with rockers and counters - are a part of those.  Edge work.  It's really important and mastering it takes the rest of your skating up several levels.

Those turns mess with your head, though, when you're trying to learn them.  :o
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

laurenSkatesicenice

« Reply #375 on: June 14, 2018, 01:23:36 pm »
Oh the irony of life. I finally replaced my crappy SFRs for Graf 500s a couple of weeks ago. It's so weird trying to remind yourself of the things you could do before in a new boot. Everything feels so stiff. However they feel sturdy too, I can feel my general balance on these skates already feels more supported. Weirdly some things I found more difficult in my old skates feel easier in the new skates and vice versa - what gives! Does anyone else wear new skates around the house to break them in or is that just an old wives tale?!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #376 on: June 14, 2018, 03:31:56 pm »
I think I did many years ago.   Not sure whether it actually helped, or just provided me with more hours of agony!

Keep going.  When you're used to the new ones, you'll be very happy indeed.  Try them with and without socks, etc, to make sure you get the best and most comfortable fit for your feet and once you find your happy place with them, then you are quite likely to find that your skating improves with the better support.  You'll still need to practice, though.   ;D
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #377 on: July 04, 2018, 06:06:10 pm »
Does anyone have any advice on backspin? It's holding back my Axel progression. I don't like spins at the best of times, but even if I can just cheat my way past Axel (throw myself and hope!) then I'll still need backspin to help with trying doubles.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #378 on: July 12, 2018, 07:08:26 pm »
SKATING GODS, I BESEECH THEE. HOW DOES ONE EFFECTIVELY BACKSPIN?! I keep messing around with pivot into it, but I don't feel like I'm getting any better at getting my left foot crossed in front of my right. I just never feel stable eggnog. How will I ever 3 jump into backspin like this? :(
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #379 on: July 12, 2018, 07:36:21 pm »
I'm not sure, but I think I might detect a slight air of desperation...

Although I'm probably not the best person to ask (I was never very adept at the backspin and am no better now) but I would suggest trying to learn backward outside twizzles. 

Florence

« Reply #380 on: December 06, 2018, 10:03:30 am »
I decided yesterday to go try and skate and if I didn't enjoy it or feel motivated I was going to call it a day (I feel like have been flogging a dead horse, every time I feel like I'm getting somewhere something happens and I hardly skate for months / years ... Injury, Illness (others) etc)

I told my daughter this on the way to her rink and the look of horror on her face was really unexpected! She said maybe I could go back to my previous lesson rink (my fave) and she would move and try lessons there with me instead. I felt really bad that she would say that to keep me skating and give up her rink and coach for me  :-[  I was surprised that she was even bothered as it's been ages since we skated together TBH.

I told my husband what she said and he was confident even if I did decide to stop permanently, he knows I will go back to it again anyway so why give give up my decent skating stuff (and he is likely to be right)

I come up with a plan today.
I will do some leisure skate on my own and more importantly with mini me for fun up until New Year.

Then am going to try get a coach early New Year and start lessons (possibly start back at 3 turn level)  Hopefully by then my back will be less problematic (I have been having Chiropractor twice week and the Sciatica is practically gone just my lower back pain now so am hopeful! Honestly, that guy has healing hands!!) 

I think we both really need to start going back to having fun again like we used to. We both Skate better when we have fun and Mini has been sulky and frustrated with her skating lately so would be good for her to have chill time as well as her patch practice time.

I passed level 7 last set of lessons so I think with some much needed renewed motivation and work I actually will pass Skate UK next year?

Yes I AM confident I can pass Skate UK next year. 

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #381 on: December 06, 2018, 10:36:26 am »
I think we both really need to start going back to having fun again like we used to. We both Skate better when we have fun and Mini has been sulky and frustrated with her skating lately so would be good for her to have chill time as well as her patch practice time.

I passed level 7 last set of lessons so I think with some much needed renewed motivation and work I actually will pass Skate UK next year?

Yes I AM confident I can pass Skate UK next year.

Florence, that is a really big thing.  Great decision - and determination!  Skating should be fun.  You should love it and not feel it's a chore.  Obviously, we all have days when we look at the clock and hear the rain on the window and think, "Nah, I'm better off in my nice warm bed," but once you push through those and get to the rink, it should be an enjoyable activity.  Progress is great, but even just skating around and going for a coffee and chat with skating friends is well worth doing.

I had 3 months off this summer/autumn and I'm back almost to square one, wobbly and worried like I was last year.  But I decided earlier in the year that I'll ignore the people who ask when I'm going to teach again "properly" and I'll just skate for the sheer enjoyment of skating.  I do want to improve - obviously - but it's not with an aim to being the very best I can be, but rather to enjoy the journey and the moments.

Leif

« Reply #382 on: December 06, 2018, 11:15:18 am »
Yeah, it's best to skate for fun and not to outdo or keep up with others. There's a lad at the rink who started about the same time as me and he show ponies around doing a spread eagle, front T-stops, penguin stops, backwards one foot slaloms and other tricks I (mostly) cannot do. He is incredibly flexible, and can do hand stands off ice, and walk around on his hands. I ignore him, and just get on with my own drills and tricks and not worry about his progress. And of course some of the youngsters will always beat me in a sprint, cos I'm 55 and getting older by the day. But ... skating is amazing fun, and superb exercise. My knees are as good as they've been for 15+ years, my back is good, and my resting heart rate is 40 bpm. Many of my university contemporaries look 10-15 years older, with big fat bellies and saggy chins.  ;D

Focus on small achievements, and stuff the show offs.  :)

Oh, and UK Skate 7 is definitely an achievement.  O0

Florence

« Reply #383 on: December 06, 2018, 02:44:21 pm »
WednesdayMarch....

That was really lovely and good advice, thank you!  :-*
Everytime I stop It does get harder when I go back.

Lief.....

Thank you, you are funny!  ;D
I could do with looking 10 years younger lol, that in itself would be motivation!

black

• Skate free
« Reply #384 on: December 06, 2018, 06:37:44 pm »
I think we both really need to start going back to having fun again like we used to.

Yep - "dance like nobody's watching" - when you love doing something, you don't give 2 hoots what others think.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy