Author Topic: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome  (Read 38388 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome
« Reply #374 on: June 10, 2018, 11:27:56 AM »
Brackets. I hate brackets and donít understand their purpose, if I want to go backwards I just do a FO3. I canít do brackets.

Brackets are a thing of joy!  Well, when you get your head round them.  Try thinking of them in the context of compulsory figures and the tracing on the ice, as that might help.  They're not a "bog standard" way of turning from backwards to forwards, but skating is about beautiful movements and flowing transitions, and brackets - along with rockers and counters - are a part of those.  Edge work.  It's really important and mastering it takes the rest of your skating up several levels.

Those turns mess with your head, though, when you're trying to learn them.  :o
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Graf Dance boots and MK Dance blades. It's still a bit slippery...

laurenSkatesicenice

« Reply #375 on: June 14, 2018, 01:23:36 PM »
Oh the irony of life. I finally replaced my crappy SFRs for Graf 500s a couple of weeks ago. It's so weird trying to remind yourself of the things you could do before in a new boot. Everything feels so stiff. However they feel sturdy too, I can feel my general balance on these skates already feels more supported. Weirdly some things I found more difficult in my old skates feel easier in the new skates and vice versa - what gives! Does anyone else wear new skates around the house to break them in or is that just an old wives tale?!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #376 on: June 14, 2018, 03:31:56 PM »
I think I did many years ago.   Not sure whether it actually helped, or just provided me with more hours of agony!

Keep going.  When you're used to the new ones, you'll be very happy indeed.  Try them with and without socks, etc, to make sure you get the best and most comfortable fit for your feet and once you find your happy place with them, then you are quite likely to find that your skating improves with the better support.  You'll still need to practice, though.   ;D
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Graf Dance boots and MK Dance blades. It's still a bit slippery...

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #377 on: July 04, 2018, 06:06:10 PM »
Does anyone have any advice on backspin? It's holding back my Axel progression. I don't like spins at the best of times, but even if I can just cheat my way past Axel (throw myself and hope!) then I'll still need backspin to help with trying doubles.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #378 on: July 12, 2018, 07:08:26 PM »
SKATING GODS, I BESEECH THEE. HOW DOES ONE EFFECTIVELY BACKSPIN?! I keep messing around with pivot into it, but I don't feel like I'm getting any better at getting my left foot crossed in front of my right. I just never feel stable eggnog. How will I ever 3 jump into backspin like this? :(
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #379 on: July 12, 2018, 07:36:21 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think I might detect a slight air of desperation...

Although I'm probably not the best person to ask (I was never very adept at the backspin and am no better now) but I would suggest trying to learn backward outside twizzles.