Author Topic: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome  (Read 94093 times)

Leif

Re: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome
« Reply #319 on: February 10, 2018, 08:45:50 am »
Clear to skate?!  HURRAH!  :D :D :D

If it's any help, my resting heart rate used to be somewhere around there, too.  In fact, once when I was carted off in a blood wagon with a suspected (second) fracture of the pelvis, the paramedic took my blood pressure and heart rate and commented, "Well, you're either very, very fit or possibly a little bit dead..."  We went with the former theory.   

My heart rate and blood pressure are still abnormally low.  We are obviously elite athletes.  There is no other possible explanation.  :P

I do have a good laugh when I read your posts, especially the way you describe your awful accidents, which do sound awful, I guess laughing at adversity is good. It sounds like you had a lot of serious accidents. Hopefully that is all in the past, presumably due to the high level you reached.

I read that hockey players can collide at 30 mph. Eeek.

I have discovered that exercises can help sciatic nerve pain, and stretching has turned it into a dull ache in my lower back. It is common, and I do wonder if skaters get it more than others due to falls.

I guess regular skaters especially coaches do far more exercise than most people, hence they are fitter.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2018, 06:49:16 pm »
I do have a good laugh when I read your posts, especially the way you describe your awful accidents...

Gee, thanks...  ;D

I read that hockey players can collide at 30 mph. Eeek.

Easily preventable.  Skate more slowly and avoid the fast ones.  Sorted.

I guess regular skaters especially coaches do far more exercise than most people, hence they are fitter.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.  No.

Seriously, no.  Most of the skaters I know (especially the coaches) are lifelong avoiders of all forms of "exercise", other than skating.  And they only skate because it doesn't feel like exercise! 

Many years ago, I actually had this discussion with a fellow pro, prompted by my disgust at the way I was putting on weight although I was at the rink for hours every day.  He pointed out that whilst we were, indeed, skating for hours and miles, the amount of energy we expended doing it was relatively low when you compared it with the effort that less skilled skaters had to put in.  I was gutted but he was right.  (I have to remind myself of this when I'm contemplating eating my body weight in biscuits, which is pretty much hourly!)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #321 on: February 10, 2018, 07:35:57 pm »
Gee, thanks...  ;D

[About hockey collisions] Easily preventable.  Skate more slowly and avoid the fast ones.  Sorted.

Seriously, no.  Most of the skaters I know (especially the coaches) are lifelong avoiders of all forms of "exercise", other than skating.  And they only skate because it doesn't feel like exercise! 

Many years ago, I actually had this discussion with a fellow pro, prompted by my disgust at the way I was putting on weight although I was at the rink for hours every day.  He pointed out that whilst we were, indeed, skating for hours and miles, the amount of energy we expended doing it was relatively low when you compared it with the effort that less skilled skaters had to put in.  I was gutted but he was right.  (I have to remind myself of this when I'm contemplating eating my body weight in biscuits, which is pretty much hourly!)

With regards to the hockey collisions, I assume Leif meant in the chaos and pace of a game, particularly when players go to "check" another player (check is such a polite term for "WE ALL SMASH IN TO THE BACK OF THEM AS HARD AS WE CAN UNTIL THE GUY IN THE MIDDLE IS SO MUCH JAM AGAINST THE WALL!"), then those kind of collisions are unavoidable.

Collisions and the practise of checking players really aggressively is one of the ice hockey governing bodies big issues, particularly over in North America. There was a story not even that long ago of a high school hopeful in the ice hockey world that became paralysed from the neck down by an overly aggressive check, yet the sport still continues to engage in these bloodbaths! I think it's got a bit better in fairness, but it's pretty grim that it can still happen.

With regards to fitness, weight gain/loss is something like 70% diet and only 30% exercise - if you're trying to put on muscle then it's a different story, but pure weight adjustment is mostly dietary, no amount of the rink is going to shift weight unfortunately, it helps a bit obviously, but it has to start at the diet. I agree that skaters do fear/avoid the fitness aspects as much as possible, I know I do! ::)
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #322 on: February 10, 2018, 09:22:48 pm »
Would this be a good time to point out that my main mode of communication is sarcasm?   :)  (I'm also sincerely hoping that Leif isn't putting himself in the way of any hockey games going at that type of pace!)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #323 on: February 11, 2018, 01:44:00 pm »
Backspin - it just feels weird, and wrong!
One foot spin still isn’t getting more than one revolution.
Backwards spirals - hahahahahaha. No.

On the plus side, I’m glad I’m being pushed in my group lessons - it’s not being dictated by the fact we’re all still technically on Skate UK...
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Leif

« Reply #324 on: February 11, 2018, 04:34:06 pm »
Gee, thanks...  ;D
Now young lady, I’m sure you know what I meant. Even though it was ambiguous.  ;D

Easily preventable.  Skate more slowly and avoid the fast ones.  Sorted.

Unfortunately I cannot do that. In one game a month back I was going slowly, and out of the blue a big lad appeared going at full tilt, and we collided head on. I recall the noise of our helmets colliding. And we verified once more Newton’s Law of the conservation of momentum. I being the smaller object, recoiled the most, and ended up on my back. I had a headache for several days. And it might have been the cause of my sciatica, which is apparently usually due to a herniated disk. To be honest I’m not too happy about that, but as they say, if you can’t stand the heat ...

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.  No.

;D I live and learn. So basically coaches are a bunch of slothful gut buckets? :) Well, the local ones look pretty healthy. Incidentally there is something called a hockey belly. Some hockey players can be quite well padded.

Incidentally, I am at heart a lard bucket, but I purposefully eat filling food, which takes longer to eat, and provides a feeling of being full. However, you might be surprised by how much beer I drink. Ahem, moving swiftly on ...

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #325 on: February 11, 2018, 06:25:00 pm »
;D I live and learn. So basically coaches are a bunch of slothful gut buckets? :) Well, the local ones look pretty healthy. Incidentally there is something called a hockey belly. Some hockey players can be quite well padded.

Ha. I'm pleading the Fifth!  But all I would say is that the male coaches I've seen at my local rink here in the backend of nowhere are all well upholstered... I've only seen one female coach there so far, and she's still built like a racing snake, just as she was back in competing days, but I most definitely gained weight when I started teaching more and training less.

Leif

« Reply #326 on: February 11, 2018, 08:25:28 pm »
A racing snake, what a wonderful expression.  ;D

I think we tend to broaden out with age. I was a 28” waist in my early twenties. I suspect I was clinically underweight. People said I had worms as I ate so much. I went up to a 34” waist, and now my waist is under 32”.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #327 on: February 24, 2018, 09:28:45 pm »
Power pulls. What fresh nightmare is this?! Doesn't help that we were attempting them backwards. I managed the odd one or two but they're not on my list of favourite moves...
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #328 on: February 24, 2018, 10:01:23 pm »
Power pulls. What fresh nightmare is this?! Doesn't help that we were attempting them backwards. I managed the odd one or two but they're not on my list of favourite moves...

Ah, give it time and practice and they will be.  I think I've always called them 'slaloms' and I will freely admit that my 'bad' leg is finding them challenging, but I used to love them.   They are actually easier backwards...*

Snufkin

« Reply #329 on: February 24, 2018, 10:10:29 pm »
I love the one-foot slaloms... One of the only moves where I can just do them with the flow of traffic in the public skate without frightening anyone and I feel like there's just about zero chance of me falling over :'D I'm with Wednesday, you may grow to love them too, with time.
Started skating August 2017

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy