Author Topic: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome  (Read 94129 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome
« Reply #440 on: August 28, 2019, 09:25:32 pm »
I can rotate my head, arms etc but can't get the turn. I'm thinking I'm being too gentle - off for a practice tonight so I'll give them a bit of oomph and see how that goes.

They do need a certain amount of attack.  Make sure you have a good knee bend going into the edge so that you have enough of a rise in the knee to actually perform the turn and then bend again to control the back edge afterwards.  A certain amount of speed is required.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #441 on: September 14, 2019, 09:50:22 pm »
This week I didn't achieve an American Waltz. 

I heard the music, recognised it and announced, "Oh, I love this dance!" before skating off happily and starting it.  First bit went fine and then I got to the RFO swing three turn in the centre.  Right leg didn't remember how to do this so it did nothing and I fell over.  Fortunately, I'd realised that the message wasn't going to get through and that a fall would be inevitable, so I didn't fight it and toppled quite slowly and - apparently - elegantly.  No damage done but a lot of hysterical laughter.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #442 on: September 28, 2019, 07:54:08 pm »
Stupid salchow  :(  Also, my toe loop from an inside 3 has wandered off, but it's fine from an outside 3-then swap feet arrangement.

I now understand why both the coaches who teach me hate salchows...
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #443 on: September 29, 2019, 08:38:42 pm »
Aaand now my toe loop has vanished from any entry :(

Anyone seen a wandering toe loop???

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #444 on: September 29, 2019, 09:08:12 pm »
Anyone seen a wandering toe loop???

All jumps wander.  In fact, pretty much every element you'll ever learn will come and go as it pleases.  Fact of skating.  Many people don't realise this until right after they've "got" the axel and then it comes as a very nasty shock indeed.

Provided you don't get too disheartened, throw away your skates and take up crochet, it'll come back.  Just keep practicing and don't let it know you're worried. 

DorvillAndTean

« Reply #445 on: October 06, 2019, 01:02:24 pm »
I can't glide without pushing off my topepick. Can someone give me advice on how to stop this, as well as how to glide for longer?

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #446 on: October 06, 2019, 06:18:40 pm »
I can't glide without pushing off my topepick. Can someone give me advice on how to stop this, as well as how to glide for longer?

Yes.  Bend your knees.  It's the key to pretty much everything in skating.

There's a sequence to proper forward skating which, weirdly and very unfortunately, doesn't appear to be taught by many British coaches. 

Feet in the T-position to start left foot pointing forwards, right foot at a 90 degree angle behind it.
Bend both knees and push onto your first left forward outside edge glide, making sure you push from the inside edge of the right, pushing blade, with more pressure towards the rear of the skate and keeping the toe pick from hitting the ice.
Glide on the bent left leg with the right leg stretching out straight behind you after you push.
Gently rise up on the left leg to straight as you glide, with the right leg coming in till the right foot is alongside the left, but still off the ice.
Then - crucially - bend both knees while the right/free foot is still off the ice and change your left foot edge to an inside one as you skate.  Both knees should still be bent and your feet side by side with the right one still off the ice.
You then start the sequence again, pushing from that left forward inside edge onto your right forward outside and carry on as above, stretching the left leg out behind you, etc...

It can take a long time to get this sequence in your head and is best practiced off ice to start with, holding on to the back of a chair or a kitchen counter as you talk yourself through it until it becomes second nature.  Also practice it holding on ice but holding on to the barrier, before you try it as you skate.

Good luck!

DorvillAndTean

« Reply #447 on: October 06, 2019, 08:53:10 pm »
Yes.  Bend your knees.  It's the key to pretty much everything in skating.

There's a sequence to proper forward skating which, weirdly and very unfortunately, doesn't appear to be taught by many British coaches. 

Feet in the T-position to start left foot pointing forwards, right foot at a 90 degree angle behind it.
Bend both knees and push onto your first left forward outside edge glide, making sure you push from the inside edge of the right, pushing blade, with more pressure towards the rear of the skate and keeping the toe pick from hitting the ice.
Glide on the bent left leg with the right leg stretching out straight behind you after you push.
Gently rise up on the left leg to straight as you glide, with the right leg coming in till the right foot is alongside the left, but still off the ice.
Then - crucially - bend both knees while the right/free foot is still off the ice and change your left foot edge to an inside one as you skate.  Both knees should still be bent and your feet side by side with the right one still off the ice.
You then start the sequence again, pushing from that left forward inside edge onto your right forward outside and carry on as above, stretching the left leg out behind you, etc...

It can take a long time to get this sequence in your head and is best practiced off ice to start with, holding on to the back of a chair or a kitchen counter as you talk yourself through it until it becomes second nature.  Also practice it holding on ice but holding on to the barrier, before you try it as you skate.

Good luck!

So you mean this?

(I just realised not allowed to post links, but expertvillage's forward stroking YouTube video?)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #448 on: October 06, 2019, 09:24:20 pm »
Back inside edges. I can do little ones, can't make them field moves size, and don't understand why.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #449 on: October 06, 2019, 10:06:05 pm »
So you mean this?

(I just realised not allowed to post links, but expertvillage's forward stroking YouTube video?)

Yes, but also no...  ;D

There's a lot more too it than just bending both knees at the start, stretching the leg out behind ('landing position') and pushing from the side of the blade.  If you follow the sequence I typed above, you'll get the double knee bend - but only one skating foot - where it should be each time and the change from outside to inside edge on the skating foot just before you use it to push off onto the other foot is absolutely crucial.  It's a lot easier to demonstrate in person!

I'm trying to remember who I saw fairly recently who does do it - and coaches it - properly, and think it was Hamish Gaman, who is "Coach Hamish" on social media.  Can't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure that's who it was.

Florence

« Reply #450 on: October 08, 2019, 09:15:02 am »

I passed level 7 last set of lessons so I think with some much needed renewed motivation and work I actually will pass Skate UK next year?

Yes I AM confident I can pass Skate UK next year.

THIS is what I am not achieving this year  ;D
Had a rubbish pain year and found out my sciatica was due to a degenerative spinal cyst pressing on my sciatic nerve. It resulted in me having a few falls (not on Ice) because I kept stumbling on my leg / numb toes. As a result have been too scared to Skate and hadn't been on the Ice for a good while and last time I did I was a barrier hugger and had a mardy/stress attack when people were standing by the gap becasue I was too scared to go around them.  I also had vertigo for a few weeks (horrible, horrible, horrible)

The pain has moved to above my knee now (? Cyst shrinking) so have took my skates to the rink a few times but still been too scared to go on. FINALLY went on the Ice last week, just round the edge, am still extremel nervous about lifting one leg off the Ice.

So taking baby steps. Just actually getting myself on the Ice is a luxury so anything above that is a bonus!

My long term "hopes" are to be able to go to the NIC lunchtime Skate lessons. Just for the enjoyment more tham anything. But I wont do this until I stop being so petified before stepping on the pad.

I don't mind not passing Skate UK anymore. Just to be able to drive my car and enjoy getting on the Ice will be good enough for me  :smitten:

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy