Author Topic: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome  (Read 39952 times)

AbiJ

Re: What didnt you achieve this week all help welcome
« Reply #396 on: January 08, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »
Iím feeling very useless today, I just canít do a proper single salchow from a backwards cross cut. I can do it from a stationary 3 turn (sort of) but as soon as I build up speed with the cross cuts first I bottle it when it comes to the jump. Itís so annoying, I got my salchow marked off ages ago- Iím only 2 sections off finishing gold but now that I have to revisit all those moves and put them into a sequence with music I just feel like everything I do is rubbish 😩
To make matters worse I have a real issue with confidence when there are certain other people on the ice, today there were a group of teens larking about all over the place which really puts me off, and also a lovely lady who is often there who skates beautifully but when sheís there I feel really self conscious and useless, which makes me feel awkward about practicing in case I fall over, itís ridiculous!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #397 on: January 08, 2019, 11:20:18 PM »
Iím feeling very useless today, I just canít do a proper single salchow from a backwards cross cut. I can do it from a stationary 3 turn (sort of) but as soon as I build up speed with the cross cuts first I bottle it when it comes to the jump. Itís so annoying, I got my salchow marked off ages ago- Iím only 2 sections off finishing gold but now that I have to revisit all those moves and put them into a sequence with music I just feel like everything I do is rubbish 😩

Ah, that's what is known as a "plank day", the kind of day when you skate like a plank rather than a skater.  Everybody has them.

To make matters worse I have a real issue with confidence when there are certain other people on the ice, today there were a group of teens larking about all over the place which really puts me off, and also a lovely lady who is often there who skates beautifully but when sheís there I feel really self conscious and useless, which makes me feel awkward about practicing in case I fall over, itís ridiculous!

Teenagers larking around can be a pain but what you need to remember is that teenagers are more preoccupied with themselves and other teenagers than with other people.  They probably haven't even noticed you exist.  Just make sure they don't knock you over and go your own sweet way.

As for the lady "who skates beautifully" but makes you feel awkward, see above.  Everybody has plank days.  She'll have them too.  And there's probably somebody else who just started learning, who considers you somebody "who skates beautifully".   ;)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Graf Dance boots and MK Dance blades. It's still a bit slippery...

AbiJ

« Reply #398 on: January 09, 2019, 12:19:08 AM »
WednesdayMarch, thank you for that! Itís good to know Iím not the only one 😂 I sure did feel like a plank today. Fingers crossed Friday will be better ☝🏻

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #399 on: January 09, 2019, 07:12:55 AM »
Just had to make the call to cancel tomorrowís lesson. Iím still not well - was off work on Monday, and my 8 hour shift at a desk yesterday left me exhausted. So frustrating!
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Finished Skate UK: 29/11/2018
Inclusive Skater :)

emmalah

« Reply #400 on: January 14, 2019, 09:56:04 PM »
I broke my wrist just before my first Skate UK session, was warming up on the ice when a kiddo sent me flying! I did manage to go through the whole lesson with a broken wrist but basically am written off for around 4 weeks. All support and sympathy welcome, feeling pretty frustrated at the situation currently - just want to be back on the ice!

Leif

« Reply #401 on: Yesterday at 08:08:51 AM »
I broke my wrist just before my first Skate UK session, was warming up on the ice when a kiddo sent me flying! I did manage to go through the whole lesson with a broken wrist but basically am written off for around 4 weeks. All support and sympathy welcome, feeling pretty frustrated at the situation currently - just want to be back on the ice!

That's awful. Hope you get better soon. Not a lot you can do if someone goes into you, a few months ago I was standing still, recovering my breath when a toddler pushed a penguin into me from behind. My shoulder was sore for months. Small kids, especially the ones in hockey kit, and wobblers (new skaters with little control) are the worst.

AbiJ

« Reply #402 on: Yesterday at 01:11:56 PM »

Oh no! This is something Iím constantly scared of when Iím having a lesson and there are kids on the ice, I hope your wrist heals quickly.