Author Topic: Home made slideshow of Canasta Tango  (Read 2214 times)

patchman

Home made slideshow of Canasta Tango
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:20:20 pm »
This was discussed on other threads but I wanted to share it with a wider audience now that I got to something more tangible.

Check this little 'slideshow' - http://tinyurl.com/aotcoea

I think this format could help people learn ice dances. Please let me know if you think this is useful and how this could be enhanced. There are still many things to iron out but I wanted to get to a finished product first then refine what's missing.

Btw this renders quite nicely on a smartphone - I would love to make it into an app so people don't have to download 5Mb of data everytime they're watching it.

Started Mar 12 - NISA 1 FM
Skating at Ally Pally / Queens

liamm

Re: Home made slideshow of Canasta Tango
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 08:49:51 pm »
This was discussed on other threads but I wanted to share it with a wider audience now that I got to something more tangible.

Check this little 'slideshow' - http://tinyurl.com/aotcoea

I think this format could help people learn ice dances. Please let me know if you think this is useful and how this could be enhanced. There are still many things to iron out but I wanted to get to a finished product first then refine what's missing.

Btw this renders quite nicely on a smartphone - I would love to make it into an app so people don't have to download 5Mb of data everytime they're watching it.

I think it's a good idea but it's quite difficult to understand the steps! (At the end of the dance, after the progressive run, it's a RFO crossroll swing; not a LFO followed by a RFO swingroll). If you could find a way to get the character onto an edge rather than a flat, I think it would work really well! And possibly have just one view to make it easier to understand.

I see a lot of people wandering around the rink with a pattern in their hand trying to work out the steps to a dance. It would certainly be a good aid if a skater needed a reminder of the steps after a lesson with a coach, but not necessarily a self-teaching tool.

Hope that helps somehow! :)

patchman

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:30:46 pm »
I think it's a good idea but it's quite difficult to understand the steps! (At the end of the dance, after the progressive run, it's a RFO crossroll swing; not a LFO followed by a RFO swingroll). If you could find a way to get the character onto an edge rather than a flat, I think it would work really well! And possibly have just one view to make it easier to understand.

Yes I know the character should be leaning but that's something quite challenging. It's on my to-do-list though. As for the crossroll yeah I was to lazy to create the proper poses for the crossroll but I will do it. I haven't worked out XB either, and mohawk's happen instantaneously. 3-turns aren't there yet either.

I thought the 2 views were precisely what helped to better see what you would otherwise miss (same for the mirror) so it's useful to get feedback that says it's confusing.

Thx for the suggestions!

Carrie

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 06:42:08 pm »

I also found the slides a bit confusing and I know the dance!  Perhaps it would make them easier to understand if the number and names of the steps in full, eg – Step 1- Left forward outside – not LFO, for those who cannot read the patterns, was printed on each slide.  There are more slides than steps but they could have (a), (b) etc, after the number.  I don't understand the technology so perhaps this is not possible!

patchman

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 07:08:50 pm »

I also found the slides a bit confusing and I know the dance!  Perhaps it would make them easier to understand if the number and names of the steps in full, eg – Step 1- Left forward outside – not LFO, for those who cannot read the patterns, was printed on each slide.  There are more slides than steps but they could have (a), (b) etc, after the number.  I don't understand the technology so perhaps this is not possible!

OMG that's worrying if I managed to confuse you.

This is all good suggestions. I don't know why I've kept the LFO stuff. I should know better - my dance partner who's very averse to all this algebra struggles with that and it's a breeze to make it more explicit.

Thx!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy