Author Topic: Ice Sheffield - how cold will it be?  (Read 3909 times)

23inmyhead

Ice Sheffield - how cold will it be?
« on: February 09, 2013, 12:31:21 pm »
This will probably sound like a daft question but how cold is it likely to be in the seating area at Ice Sheffield? I'm coming to watch the British Adult Championships next weekend and I don't know whether I will need a big, warm coat and a blanket or if it will be warm enough for an ordinary coat etc. My daughter has just waltzed off to Bulgaria for the week with my really warm ski jacket which I'd intended to wear so now I'm wondering if I need to go out and buy another one or if I'll be warm enough in an ordinary coat.

katepilarr

Re: Ice Sheffield - how cold will it be?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 02:23:35 pm »
i dont remember beeing cold at ice sheffield last year watching the euros. actually i recall running around in a t-shirt at some point. but they are plastic seats so a blanket underneath might a good idea esp if you intend to sit there all day. there is a cafe right at the top  where you can warm yourself up if needed.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:39:01 pm by katepilarr »
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

InDreams

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 02:30:28 pm »
I didn't find it particularly cold (and I do tend to feel the cold quite a bit) and I just wore an ordinary coat.
Passed Skate UK Level 10 - 07/03/13
Passed Skate UK Bronze Free - 18/04/13
Passed Skate UK Silver Free - 09/05/13
Working on Gold Free and L1 FM

black

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 02:50:18 pm »
how cold is it likely to be in the seating area at Ice Sheffield?

Depends where you sit; it's warmer on the top row than rink side.

A regular coat should do just fine, though you might want to consider wearing leggings under trousers and/or taking something to sit on because the plastic seats will conduct heat away.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

InDreams

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 05:58:31 pm »

Depends where you sit; it's warmer on the top row than rink side.

A regular coat should do just fine, though you might want to consider wearing leggings under trousers and/or taking something to sit on because the plastic seats will conduct heat away.

This. I was sat near the top, plus I had tights on under my jeans.
Passed Skate UK Level 10 - 07/03/13
Passed Skate UK Bronze Free - 18/04/13
Passed Skate UK Silver Free - 09/05/13
Working on Gold Free and L1 FM

23inmyhead

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:00:22 pm »
Thanks for your replies, that's really useful.

batikat

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 01:42:07 am »
The BACs will be in the actual ice rink (which was used as the practice rink at the Euros).  In can be freezing - particularly early on in the day and there won't be many spectators there to warm the atmosphere up.  If you are planning on spending a lot of time sitting there then take a fleece blanket or something - light to carry but a lifesaver if you need it.  Even if you end up sitting on it to keep the cold from the seats getting to you.  There's a nice cafe there to warm up in with decent food and hot drinks and sometimes you can get a seat overlooking the rink. Enjoy!
NISA level 4 FM & FD, 3 CD, 2 el & free & var
2012 BACs Gold at bronze FD
2011 Oxford bronze FD - bronze
Team Fusion
2011 Brit synchro champs gold

katepilarr

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 04:22:01 pm »
The BACs will be in the actual ice rink (which was used as the practice rink at the Euros).
that what i was talking about ;)
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

suttonskater

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 08:32:31 pm »
It's not cold at all
Skating is for life , not just for Christmas

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 08:58:52 pm »
what is cold?

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

santa-maria

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 08:15:39 pm »
In can be freezing - particularly early on in the day and there won't be many spectators there to warm the atmosphere up.  If you are planning on spending a lot of time sitting there then take a fleece blanket or something - light to carry but a lifesaver if you need it.  Even if you end up sitting on it to keep the cold from the seats getting to you.  There's a nice cafe there to warm up in with decent food and hot drinks and sometimes you can get a seat overlooking the rink. Enjoy!

Spot on, it is an ice-rink and you'll be there for hours at a time.. Coffee in a flask wouldn't go amiss but that Hot Chocolate from cafe is to die for..
Unless you sit anywhere near Ice Mouse who doesn't recognize word 'cold' it will get to you so blanket is favourite too.. O0
Life is just question of priorities...

For Fame, Glory and Cuddly toys..

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy