Author Topic: Garmisch ice dance course 2013 12 -18 August  (Read 8209 times)

skatebrasil

Re: Garmisch ice dance course 2013 12 -18 August
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 10:10:06 pm »
I really wanted to attend one skating camp, but the dances seem to be a very high level.  If there are 2 groups of dances, I don't understand why one group isn't lower level dances (let's say any choice of dances L4-L7) and one group the higher ones (L8 and above). It seems to be mixed somehow erratically. (I do understand that skaters may want to learn a few levels above their current level, but it seems that most of dances on this course is L8 and L9!) Well, never mind, I will wait a few years until I am the right level for that. It would not be helpful for me to spend a week learning dances from L8.

Course 1
- Golden Skaters Waltz - L3
- 14-Step - L5
- Tango - L8b
- Starlight Waltz - L9a
- Rocker Foxtrot - L8a
- Free choice dance

Course 2
- European Waltz - L6
- Kilian - L9a
- Argentine Tango - L9b
- Golden Waltz - L Gold star
(2 days)
- Free choice dance

skatebrasil

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 10:22:22 pm »

Hanca, the reason that the course has higher level dances from intermediate and above is because that is what level this particular course runs at . I am not sure if there are other dance camps possibly in the UK or overseas that serve the lower level dances ,but would be a good idea for coaches to think about that as there are quite a few skaters at recreational level who would certainly benefit from an intensive 5/6 day skate camp at reasonable prices ... O0

iSk8

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 01:36:22 am »
Hanca, the reason that the course has higher level dances from intermediate and above is because that is what level this particular course runs at . I am not sure if there are other dance camps possibly in the UK or overseas that serve the lower level dances ,but would be a good idea for coaches to think about that as there are quite a few skaters at recreational level who would certainly benefit from an intensive 5/6 day skate camp at reasonable prices ... O0

There used to be local 'courses' in the UK at a lower level.  Joan Slater used to do some a few years ago in connection with Mercian.

International courses tend to start with at least the 'bronze' international dances.

I'd certainly recommend the Garmisch course run by Jimmy.  We went on it several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Used to skate at Garmisch sometimes - there used to be a 'dance' session on Sunday lunchtime or afternoon.

hanca

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 01:39:56 pm »

I am not criticising that the course runs at that high level; what I find strange and illogical is that there are 2 groups there and both of them have some lower levels and some high levels mixed together. It seems to me that it would have more sense to make one group lower than the others. Even if you use exactly the same dances as they plan to teach, but mix them according to the level, it would have more sense (so one group would still have the L3 Golden skaters Waltz, L5 14 step and add there the L6 European Waltz, whereas the other group would have all those L8 and L9 dances).

It seems to me like if in freeskating someone would mix in one group skaters who work on single toe loop and double loop, and in second group skaters who work on single flip and double Lutz. Sort of random. Whereas more sense would be having in one group skaters who work on singles, and in other group skaters who work on doubles. But that's just my opinion. 

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:42:41 pm by hanca »

skatebrasil

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 03:40:35 pm »
Hanca, the course has 2 groups for dance of which are the dances most requested. Skaters are also able to mix their group eg 2 dances from group A and the rest from group B. We also have Annies Edges everyday and private lessons and lots of patch , so we a lot of ice time with great tuition on a fantastic ice pad.The course has been running for a number of years with  approx 80% of the same skaters so naturally the levels have increased .The Belgium skating camp in April may be better suited as it begins with easier dances and evolves to proper gold.This is a 2 da :D :Dy full days course again held by Master coach Jimmy Young and is very intensive. Look out for the dates which still waiting on. :D

WifaWobble

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 06:13:24 pm »
http://www.jimmy-young.co.uk/ice%20courses.htmlDetails can be found here, a great course for ice dancers of all levels. I have done this course twice already and can recommend it[/size]
Am I reading this right ... 445 euros, or say £380, for three hours of group lessons (or in other words 300-400% the price of equivalent one-to-one lessons?!) covering say 11 dances (or in other words a mere say 15 minutes per dance and presumably with little or no chance for JY young to give any one to one tips or observations on your own actual attempt at each one) and that's all before accommodation, food and travel ....? 
I'm assuming a worse case interpretation of what seems an ambiguous description based on "Course 1 (1h30min)", where you presumably fly in for just one day between Monday-Friday inclusive, and the courses repeat every day for each daily batch of attendees.  Or is it 90 minutes per dance, one per day, and you stay for the week?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:37:05 pm by ATonkin »

katepilarr

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 06:38:48 pm »
for courses one and two its 18 hours of  group classes over six days, which works out at 21 pounds and hour. dont know whether that is considered expensive or not.
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

WifaWobble

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 06:58:39 pm »
Quite tempting if that's the case.  But I've seen overseas courses advertised before and it seems to me more often than not they're cancelled "due to unforeseen circumtances".  Bit annoying if you've booked the travel and hotel and stuff.  How 'reliable' would you rate this one?

skatebrasil

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 08:17:35 pm »
ATokim,sorry I have lost my glasses so excuse the spelling  O0 . Each course runs for 1hr 30 mins and the there are Annie's Edges a further 1.30 per day then you have your patch which can be an extra 4 hrs a day.You can have private lessons in this time or not.This course does not get cancelled as it is well known in Germany and surrounding countries . The rooms get booked up a the Garmisher Hof very quickly as repeat skater book there rooms when they leave for the following,but Garmisch has lots of places at grt prices .Check out www.gapa.com. Or booking .com . It really is an amazing camp.10 out of 10 !!

WifaWobble

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 08:23:17 pm »
Hmmm, well I was 90% sold on the idea until I totted up the likely total cost and though I could easily afford it it does nonetheless equate to around 570 hours of patch ice at my local rink.  Very very tempting and a cracking experience I'm sure, but ultimately, "I'm out", as they say ... but might keep it under review.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:21:31 pm by ATonkin »

ice queen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 09:07:27 pm »
Ill be attending this course for he third time,  the weeks intensive skating makes a massive difference to my skating skills and its so much fun  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy