Author Topic: Braehead skate camp  (Read 3483 times)

Paul 2

Braehead skate camp
« on: October 15, 2012, 04:52:11 pm »
Hi,

If you went to this last year and can still remember it, what sort of skating skills do you already need to enjoy and get the most out this camp? I would not like to spend a lot of money on next years camp and come away thoroughly demoralised after spending several days as the 'dunce' of the camp!

Thanks

Paul
Skating at Sheffield and Hull. Started Skate UK April 2007
L 6 March 2012. Still working on L 7! The harder the struggle, the more frustrating it is

ice queen

• Global Moderator
Re: Braehead skate camp
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 05:24:47 pm »
Do we have dates for this?  Can someone share?

IQ

Paul 2

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:41:02 am »
Hi,

Can anybody respond to original post?

Thanks

Paul
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:50:34 am by Paul 2 »
L 6 March 2012. Still working on L 7! The harder the struggle, the more frustrating it is

Paul 2

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:30:24 pm »

Hi,

Details in the attachment.

Paul

Lindsey

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 10:09:54 pm »
I don't think I'm too far off your level Paul2 and I went last year. Absolutely loved every minute and felt I got an awful lot out of it.

Day one, I'll admit, I almost wished I hadn't gone as I felt out of my depth, and as the worst skater there felt a bit useless, but by day two I realised everyone there had their strengths and weaknesses, and what I was good at other people weren't so good at, and vice versa. I enjoyed the next three days immensely.

The main thing I got from it was a load of different ways of thinking about things, different ways to try things (different arm/leg positions for example, which often helped with things I'd been struggling with), and I came out with my edges a million times better and more controlled through doing different exercises (which were also fun).

I also felt I benefited greatly from the off-ice stuff - stretches and strengthening exercises mainly, which was knowledge I took with me and still use to improve myself.

The final day we played a lot of games, which really help your confidence, but I think the bit of advice I'd give if you're thinking of going is, you really have to be willing to go for it and put your all in, and be willing to try things you might normally be afraid of. And be willing to be absolutely cream crackered by the end.

Oh, and there are no barriers. Literally.

Lily

• Skating Illini
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 06:53:40 pm »
anyone thinking about going to this?
Skate UK 15/08/2012 - 25/02/2013
Passed Bronze Free 14/05/2013
Passed Silver Free 18/06/2013
Skating in Riedell 910LS with Coronation Ace Blades

Weeyin

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 08:34:10 pm »
What level would the adult course be aimed at? Is there a minimum level required?

Lily

• Skating Illini
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 11:16:46 pm »
on last year's application form is says the camp is for everyone, http://www.iceskating.org.uk/node/5195

"This camp is for everyone. We intend that the camp be an enjoyable learning experience. Skaters will be divided into groups of equal proficiency.  We will teach beginners who are learning to go backward through to Adult competitors focusing on the more challenging aspects of skating."
Skate UK 15/08/2012 - 25/02/2013
Passed Bronze Free 14/05/2013
Passed Silver Free 18/06/2013
Skating in Riedell 910LS with Coronation Ace Blades

Weeyin

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 08:10:10 am »
That's great, thanks

Lindsey

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 01:04:31 pm »
As much as they say that, if you're "an adult just learning to go backwards" I'd say you're going to get very little out of it so save your money.

rach

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 02:37:20 pm »
I'd probably say about skuk 7 upwards once got three turns and backwards stuff under your belt, then you'll get more out of it than if you are struggling backwards.... Equally at the other end if you are an adult doing doubles you may feel you'd rather be with the kids, I don't know as we didn't have many but I know one was wanting to do doubles cause that's what they were working on in lessons but as adult group we mainly worked on salchow flip loop lutz jumps.... But I'd certainly go back :-)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy