Author Topic: Jackson skates  (Read 6559 times)

abbi_1990

Jackson skates
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:05:00 am »
What model of Jackson boot would you reccomend for a skater who:

Weighs: 95 pounds

Skates: 3x week for 1.5 hours each time (total 4.5 hrs/wk)

Level: Working on Silver and Gold passports and Level 1 field moves

Current skates: WIFA prima, coach is happy with this level of skate i.e. leather sole and right strength but the fit is causing me a lot of problems

Blade: Coach would like me to use a coronation ace or mk professional blade
Jumps: 3 jump, salchow, toe loop, loop, flip, lutz, loop loop and flip loop combos

Spins: upright, sitspin, cross toe spin, (working on camel spin & backspin)

NISA Level 2 Field Moves, Elements and Free

Perpetuum - Bronze Meadalists at the 2010/11 National Synchro Opens

Cdns8r

Re: Jackson skates
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:55:28 am »
What is your highest jump achieved 50% or more?

If you are doing doubles, and you like Jacksons, try the Jackson elite plus, your blade should be coronation comet.

WIFAs are very narrow.  Hence the problems you may be having.  Check out the Riedell Silver Stars, in that case or the GRAF Richmond special. 

Graf's are a fairly light boot.  If you are looking for light, you may want to go to the brand new Riedell 1350LS.  I have not tried them yet, but am considering them for my own child.  She is working on her double sal, and loop. 

Once you are over 100lbs you may need to move up a class - say the edmonton specials v the richmonds especially if you are pounding those doubles and working on triples. 

Stick with Wilson or MK blades.  The comet will give you better edge control at your level and better longer glides, while the ace will make you work a bit harder to achieve a longer glide.  both are great though.  Ask your coach what kind of toe pick they want you in.  Cross cut? then get the Ace.

Good luck with your skating.

poorsk8ersmum

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 02:38:33 pm »
  If you are looking for light, you may want to go to the brand new Riedell 1350LS.  I have not tried them yet, but am considering them for my own child.  She is working on her double sal, and loop. 

Is that the 1310 LS? Or the 2010 LS? (Or something different entirely? LOL)

http://www.riedellskates.com/home.html    .

.. My daughter has been using the 1500 HLS  for 18 months now, and they are the best boots she has ever had, they have lasted all this time, and she skates a lot, with a lot of work on her doubles etc and they still have life in them! She has a Wilson Gold Seal blade, and again very happy. Are these new Riedell boots the next generation of the 1500HLS do you know? I was going to happily replace her current boots with the same again, but if these are meant to be better again...  :)

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 02:41:51 pm »
Wifa are italian and like Risport have a very narrow footprint. They only suit the narrower feet. I have never had Jackson skates but can recommend Klingbeil. They are fantastic boots and I have a wilson pattern 99 blade.
you can get those from the dealer whose website I posted on your spiral/boot problem thread
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

Cdns8r

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 03:28:58 pm »
doh  me.. yes 1310!!!  Silly me, in my excitement I miswrote!!  apologies all!

:buck2:

glad to hear your daughter loves her skates poorsk8ersmum!

poorsk8ersmum

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 04:40:44 pm »
doh  me.. yes 1310!!!  Silly me, in my excitement I miswrote!!  apologies all!

:buck2:

glad to hear your daughter loves her skates poorsk8ersmum!

No apology needed! I just thought you might have the scoop on another new boot, and I am starting to look around for her next one, though I am thinking we will probably stay with the 1500 HLS!

Another girl at our rink was having problems with her boots ( I can't remember, they were either Jackson or Graf) and ended getting the 1500 HLS. She too is very happy with them .. However, I have met skaters who will never change from their Graf, SP Teri or Jackson .. even Risport ... so it really does depend on the skater. What is bunions and blisters for one skater can be bliss and beilmans for another! LOL

I also agree that a good fit and heat moulding are imperative. And the correct strength boot for the skater .. these stiffer boots would be terrible for anyone who is just starting out on their single jumps (anything pre axel) but essential as the jumps get more complex .. I know a girl who almost broke her ankle landing her double axel (badly landed) .. if she had had lesser boots, she probably would never have skated again, as it was, she was lucky to have not broken a bone, and was back on the ice in 4 weeks! Anyway, I digress... I will be interested to know which boots your daughter ends up with Cdns8r, eh?  ;)

sweeneytodd

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 07:09:25 pm »
Thank you for the  comments on Wifa being narrow.  My coach has just recommended them to me, (sum of money coming in which I was looking at investing in new skates).  She obvious  didn't remember  about me having wide feet.   

abbi_1990

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 12:58:18 pm »
i was reccomended them as being good for wide feet, but from what i have read in various places on the internet, i do not agree.

the jackson C width boots i have just brought are slightly narrower than the WIFA 34LL boots that i had, but they are at least 1 size smaller in the length so that may be why
Jumps: 3 jump, salchow, toe loop, loop, flip, lutz, loop loop and flip loop combos

Spins: upright, sitspin, cross toe spin, (working on camel spin & backspin)

NISA Level 2 Field Moves, Elements and Free

Perpetuum - Bronze Meadalists at the 2010/11 National Synchro Opens

Gareth

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 04:05:14 pm »
I Skate in Riedell 1500HLS boots, i'm sure they have saved my ankle 2 or 3 times on double jumps.

I've never heard a good thing said about Jackson skates.  I know most coaches will recommend people to stay clear of them!

Riedell are known to be very good skates, also if you search the internet theres a fitting chart so you can measure your own feet and get the correct size and width, thats if you don't want to go to a fitter.

Theres only one Riedell skate fitter I know of now, Wendy Fishel in the Isle of Wight.

rachel24

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 04:51:23 pm »
As I think I have said before on here I skate in Reidells too and now they are beginning to break in I am soooooo happy with them.
Skating achievements so far....

JUMPS
3-Jump
Salchow
Toe Loop
Loop - working on it

Front and back spiral
Catch foot spiral
Y-spiral

SPINS
Scratch Spin - I hate spinning arghhhhhhhh
14/03/08 - Got my scratch spin - i now love spinning!!!
Working on the sit spin

HHL Ice Sports

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 06:28:34 pm »
The 2010 LS is the new generation of Riedell boots. They are not a replacement for the 1500HLS.

There is only one trained Riedell fitter and that's me. I am the only person in the UK to visit Riedell in the US and be trained by them.

You can visit us online at www.hhl-icesports.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy