Author Topic: spinning tips?  (Read 11037 times)

Noorah101

• Started skating April 2010
Re: spinning tips?
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2013, 10:54:53 pm »
When you are stopping circling - all you need to do is to bend your legs and push into the edges again - you can then continue spinning until you are dizzy.
Hi Skater,

I have a question about this part.  I can do a 2-foot spin and then when I slow down I can do a "half lemon" as you call it and spin another couple of times.  But my coach has me using my arms as well, to start spinning again.  When you describe bending your legs and pushing into the edges again...are you also using your arms again?  Or keeping them holding the teddy bear?  :)

Rene
"When you truly want something, all the universe conspires to make it happen". ~ The Alchemist
http://britishexpats.com/blogs/MySkatingJournal

Skater

« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2013, 10:55:39 am »
Hi, what I suggested was a drill for a two foot spin. Your coach is right, if you wish to do a proper two foot spin (for the Skate UK grading) you would normally get into the spin from a small pivot using the active edge of a pivot to give you a momento for spinning, then you will go into a position I described (shoulder length feet both making a circle)... at which point you will cuddle your Big Teddy very tightly indeed... squeeze it tight to your chest which will make your spin go faster. Then you'd exit it by a half Lemon back and glide on one foot (as all exits from jumps or spins look).

So, the above were drills for spin... because if one looks at the videos and considers simple physics... pupils need to learn to:
- understand that the speed comes from the power edge and not the waffle of your arm;
- they need to stay upright;
- they need to keep their feet apart (but not necessarily as wide as shoulder length);
- they need to keep their body straight not twisted on one side with hands initially outstretched) (this is where the Big Teddy comes in ;) )

If they gotten themselves in the above position, they will end up stable on ice... So, the next time their coach tells them to do a proper entry, they will do it but will return to the above position (as it feels safe for an adult skater). The only thing the adult skater will then need is to train themselves to avoid dizziness when spinning fast... doing the drill continuously  i.e. pushing on the edge slightly then keeping the spin position then pushing on the edges - keeping the position.... allows to continue spinning until dizzy (or for as long as you want spinning - my record 2 minutes ;) ) I keep my arms outstretched when doing the drill - I certainly suffocate the Teddy when doing the proper spin ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:57:51 am by Skater »
Skate UK - March 2011 to Sept 2011
Passport - April 2012
FM NISA L1 - June 2012
Free and Elements NISA - L1; FM L 2 - Sept 2012

Noorah101

• Started skating April 2010
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2013, 06:01:46 pm »
Ah, that makes it more clear to me.  Thank you Skater, those are great tips!

Rene
"When you truly want something, all the universe conspires to make it happen". ~ The Alchemist
http://britishexpats.com/blogs/MySkatingJournal

kanne

« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2013, 04:34:10 pm »
these are helpful tips, i shall be trying some when on ice tomorrow :)
Working on L1 & 2, FM & E/ flip, lutz, 3-jump-loop combo, loop-loop combo, camel spin, sit spin variations and A spin.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy