Author Topic: "Mandatory Helmet irks figure skaters"  (Read 13163 times)

iSk8

Re: "Mandatory Helmet irks figure skaters"
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 11:56:39 pm »
Well, my partner fractured her skull doing ice dance.  Worst still, it wasn't even a tricky move.  I know a few other skaters who have also fallen and cracked their skull.  Some of these now do wear helmets and I find that perfectly understandable, although I've never worn one myself.  There are several reasons for that:

1. Not convinced that the existing helmets are appropriate or adequate.  Having said that, I guess that something is better than nothing.  I'd be happier if what did exist had some level of test certification, but it needs to be 'good enough' rather than over-engineered for safety.

2. I would consider something like a 'halo' or one of the other head guard designs, but not something that looks like a hockey, or cycle helmet, or some army surplus.

3. I suppose my risk assessment based on my personal experience is that the risk to me, although not neglible, is sufficiently low.

If I was practicing some free dance moves, or pairs, then I would seriously consider something.  The DOI 'head banger' says it all.

I'm not convinced that the false sense of security argument about a head guard is a valid argument against head guards.  It's like saying that we shouldn't have seat belts because it makes a few drivers drive beyond their limits.

I think that head guards for ice skating will go like cycle helmets.  Very few people used to wear them.  Lycra and helmets then became part of the cyclist's uniform.  If they look fashionable then they've got a better chance of take up.

Icy_Matt

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 07:55:36 am »
I'd be against it as it would put people off and I believe in freedom of choice.  The rule seems arbitrary anyway as I am sure I fall over now more often than I did as a beginner as I am attempting more difficult things, though I suppose it is true that the more you fall the more you learn to fall safely.
John Nicks, the great coach, reckons that the lady in pairs should wear helmets in training because unlike other moves when they are being held overhead they are much less in control, and of course falling from a greater height.  One of his pairs had quite a nasty accident I believe.
The notice in the reception window at my local rink says "Ice skating is a dangerous sport, you skate at your own risk".

So you're saying you can do anything you want coz' you want your freedom of choice, right??? You should be allowed to drive without a seat belt coz' it' your freedom of choice to do so right? do you think signing a waver makes it OK to partake in risk activities without care? coz' at the end of the day you agree to take the risk, that makes it OK? As a society, it often makes rules in the best interest of the population e.g. compulsary helmet for cyclist in Aus, seatbelt for motorist in Aus... i.e for the greater good so why not helmets for skaters? If it saves just one person from brain damage and death, is that worth making helmets compulsary?

Why do you think enforcing helmet would put people off? If it can save your kid from brain damage, would it change your mind If there's proof that it'll prevent brain injuries particularly for beginners, would that be a reason to make it mandatory?

I have seen a beginner smash his head once. He regained consciousness but noticed his eyeballs started rolling backwards. Bit like this ::)  well not quite ;D

I've been skiing in the past and some coaches wear helmet? Why, not coz' of their lack of skills but coz' of other skiiers that might run into them.

If you say the helmets should be recommended for kids, then why not adults. If it's good enough for one, why not the other?

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 08:04:23 am »
I agree that one must try to balance the freedom of the individual with the best interests of society as a whole.  Car crash injuries probably represent a significant cost to a country's healthcare system and if that system is state-funded there's a strong argument for compelling use of seatbelts.  Most activities, certainly most sports, carry some level of risk but I would guess not as high and serious as driving a car, so I think the argument for extending a highly safety-first approach to every part of a person's life is weaker.  Taken to an extreme life would become sterile and I would not want to live in such a world.

lollyx789

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 08:08:57 am »
I wouldnt wear a helmet no. I didn't even as a child on a bike if got made to wear one i'd take it off as soon as out of sight.

Icy_Matt

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 11:17:48 am »
I agree that one must try to balance the freedom of the individual with the best interests of society as a whole.  Car crash injuries probably represent a significant cost to a country's healthcare system and if that system is state-funded there's a strong argument for compelling use of seatbelts.  Most activities, certainly most sports, carry some level of risk but I would guess not as high and serious as driving a car, so I think the argument for extending a highly safety-first approach to every part of a person's life is weaker.  Taken to an extreme life would become sterile and I would not want to live in such a world.

I have often found it quite curious figure skaters wear no protection. Most of our underage football clubs have compulsary headguard for kids. Soccer players wear shin/mouth guards, cricket players wear all kind of protection. Figure skaters wear nothing for protection. If you consider the potential for damage with hitting ice vs hitting grass, there's no comparison yet the risk doesn't correspond to protective measure. Is it coz' figure skating is so concern with it's cosmetic appeal they don't want to ruin it with "ugly" injury saving gear. I have seen countless falls on ice with beginners skater and possibly hear of one serious injury maybe once a month. I've seen very few major injuries with local football clubs. What does that tell ya? People just don't care about the safety of skaters?

Helmets were very unpopular when it was first introduced. Bike helmet now look fashionable and people are happy to wear it routinely without questioning. Why can't the same occur for figure skaters? Don't say the risk is low compare with other sport, because it isn't. I bought extra insurance for figure skating, yet I can play football, white water rafting etc etc with no extra premium.

Out of curiosity, does your rink provide protective helmets or any protective gear for skaters?

I wouldnt wear a helmet no. I didn't even as a child on a bike if got made to wear one i'd take it off as soon as out of sight.

Why not?

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 12:40:44 pm »
Some rinks I skate at provide helmets on request.  Some school groups make the kids wear helmets.  A few, almost all adults, wear wristguards (though I have heard coaches say that wristguards on the ice are not helpful as you really want to try and slide to break the fall) and a very few wear helmets.  I wonder how many of the people on the forum wear helmets, and if not why not?
I wear wristguards when I rollerblade because the ground is gravelly and you don't slide.  I wear a helmet when I ride a bike as you are high off the ground, going fast and there is considerable danger from cars, bikes and pedestrians.  I wear no protection on the ice because I think the risk is low and prefer the freedom of not having something stuck on my head.

lollyx789

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 07:49:58 pm »
I just dont like the look of them and also dont like the whole something attached to my head. kids at beginner level yes because there more prone to falling over/losing balance  but dont think.it should be compulsery for adults to wear them

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 07:54:47 pm »
We also have helmets available on request but rarely get asked for them. The kids that fall all the time are not the ones that are of concern as they are usally so relaxed that they just flop without injury. It is the nervous kids that are very tense that tend to fall and get hurt when they do. Maybe the decision to wear a helmet for children should lie with the parent and the coaches could advise on this
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

23inmyhead

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 08:11:02 pm »
I wear a crash helmet for skiing, cycling and horse riding and I would like to wear one for skating as fear of hitting my head affects the way I skate. The reason I don't wear one is because I would be the only person on the ice wearing one and I don't want to be singled out or ridiculed which might be stupid but that's the way I feel. On a purely selfish point of view I would like helmets or some form of head protection to be compulsory, at least up to a certain standard because then everyone would be wearing one and I wouldn't look like an idiot. I accept that this is perhaps not the most rationale reason  :) .

Seriously though, I think children in public sessions should have to wear helmets. Adults can chose whether or not they are willing to suffer a head injury but children can't make an informed choice and should therefore be protected until they are old enough to understand the risks. I remember when no-one wore a cycle helmet and now most people do. When I went skiing last month I reckon 50% of the adult skiers were wearing helmets, when I last went 8 years ago it was only children wearing them. I can see skating going the same way if helmets were made compulsory for children.

SkateMate

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 08:31:15 pm »
Forcing kids to wear helmets for public sessions will kill rinks. They wont do it and therefore they won't come skating.

Squashyraindrops

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 08:39:55 pm »
One of the main things that I absolutely adore about skating is the feeling of 'freedom' when your just gliding around the ice. I think having to wear a big,awkward,irritating,itchy,heavy helmet on my head would definitely lessen the 'graceful' feeling of skating...which would probably lead to me enjoying it less  ::) ...just my opinion...

And also to be completely honest, I agree with the last poster...I wouldn't want to be the only person wearing one  :( I know that this is totally stupid as I should put my safety above the opinions of people who don't know me/don't even care anyway...but again,just my opinion  :P     
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy