Author Topic: "Mandatory Helmet irks figure skaters"  (Read 13164 times)

Icy_Matt

"Mandatory Helmet irks figure skaters"
« on: February 27, 2012, 12:04:16 pm »
Skate Canada's official policy since July requires all figure skating students to wear CSA approved hockey helmets until they reach Stage 6.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120102/mtl_skaters_120102/20120102/    (there's a video associated with the article.

Do you think this is a good rule to enforce?

What if UK policy dictates that all figure skaters HAVE TO wear helmets until they get to say Skate UK level 10. Would you support that?? Should all beginner skaters wear a helmet in public sessions?

I don't usually wear a helmet however if I find the rink is fill with speed skaters or reckless unstable hockey skaters, I will don a helmet.

It's interesting the video emphasis figure skating as being an "aesthetic sport" and helmet ruins the look of it. So which is more important to you, safety or aethetics?

Would you put on a helmet? if not Why not? if so, would you wear it for comps or tests?

What do you think of people who wear helmets?

Are bike helmets sufficient? I wear a BMX helmet occasionally.

:)

transmissionoftheflame

Re: "Mandatory Helmet irks figure skaters"
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 01:09:39 pm »
I'd be against it as it would put people off and I believe in freedom of choice.  The rule seems arbitrary anyway as I am sure I fall over now more often than I did as a beginner as I am attempting more difficult things, though I suppose it is true that the more you fall the more you learn to fall safely.
John Nicks, the great coach, reckons that the lady in pairs should wear helmets in training because unlike other moves when they are being held overhead they are much less in control, and of course falling from a greater height.  One of his pairs had quite a nasty accident I believe.
The notice in the reception window at my local rink says "Ice skating is a dangerous sport, you skate at your own risk".

santa-maria

• Skating with attitude
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 01:39:25 pm »

John Nicks, the great coach, reckons that the lady in pairs should wear helmets in training because unlike other moves when they are being held overhead they are much less in control, and of course falling from a greater height.

Not just overheads, guess what's first thing to hit the ice when sudden loss of pull occurs in death spirals?  ;D

Never thought about wearing one for my singles as you get a bit better learning how to fall, well not safely but at least you don't have 'second bang' as I call it when I see newbies falling..It's very common - they'll hit the ice and then the head still bangs the ice as they don't have yet developed proper neck muscles to keep head away from ice in fall...

Secondly, does it have to be a helmet? There's different things on market now..skating halo, cap from green skates..I would agree on Skate UK there might be reason for recommendation to wear some kind of head protection.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:41:29 pm by santa-maria »
Life is just question of priorities...

For Fame, Glory and Cuddly toys..

TexasUK

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:17:45 pm »
A good point made in the comments section. If you are happy to legally sign away any rights to sue anyone else if you are injured in any way while not wearing a helmet, then you should be able to skate without one.
So long as everyone knows the risks and are prepared to accept them without blaming anyone else then leave it up to them. If adults want to take the risk with their kids then it is their problem. Too many regulations these days in every area, but especially in sports and leisure areas.

SkateMate

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:37:41 pm »
If they were to go down this route then someone should look at something more suitable than an ice hocket helmet, which isn't a nice piece of kit to wear. I'd be more inclined to go with something like a rugby style head guard.  With some of the impact technology available today you could easily come up with something that could protect the head for all skaters and wouldnt be as awkward to wear.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 05:05:49 pm »
A good point made in the comments section. If you are happy to legally sign away any rights to sue anyone else if you are injured in any way while not wearing a helmet, then you should be able to skate without one.
So long as everyone knows the risks and are prepared to accept them without blaming anyone else then leave it up to them. If adults want to take the risk with their kids then it is their problem. Too many regulations these days in every area, but especially in sports and leisure areas.

Totally agree.  I have the odd lesson on rollerblades and the skate school's default position is to advise wearing of protective gear but the instructor is happy for me to not do so as long as I clearly take responsibility for that decision.

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:10:37 pm »
If they were to go down this route then someone should look at something more suitable than an ice hocket helmet, which isn't a nice piece of kit to wear. I'd be more inclined to go with something like a rugby style head guard.  With some of the impact technology available today you could easily come up with something that could protect the head for all skaters and wouldnt be as awkward to wear.

funny you should mention this as there is a head guard called a ribcap that is similar in nature to this.

http://www.ribcap.ch/lookbook
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

mkp

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 10:44:06 pm »
I don't think it's that unreasonable to insist on it for children - it's standard for ski schools that kids must wear helmets even though it's optional for adults.

caffn8me

• Global Moderator
  • Womble on ice (Novice)
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 10:50:05 pm »

funny you should mention this as there is a head guard called a ribcap that is similar in nature to this.

http://www.ribcap.ch/lookbook

Woo!  They have polar bears rather than penguins :)

Sarah

Skate UK start: 24/02/09
Met The Ice Mouse: 27/03/09
Broke wrist: 24/04/09
NISA L1 FM pass: 29/03/10
English Style Prelim test: 7/08/11
Working on: L2, L3, L4 FM, L1 Comp.Dance

Spiders on coffee

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 10:58:37 pm »
Woo!  They have polar bears rather than penguins :)

Sarah

Yes Polar bears coloured by a colour blind man!!  Since when are polar bears yellow?  ;D ;D
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

caffn8me

• Global Moderator
  • Womble on ice (Novice)
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 11:09:50 pm »
They are the ones you find in yellow snow ;)

...and that's why you should avoid yellow snow.  Hidden polar bears.

Sarah

Skate UK start: 24/02/09
Met The Ice Mouse: 27/03/09
Broke wrist: 24/04/09
NISA L1 FM pass: 29/03/10
English Style Prelim test: 7/08/11
Working on: L2, L3, L4 FM, L1 Comp.Dance

Spiders on coffee

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy