Author Topic: Trousers v skirts/dresses  (Read 15151 times)

Keapix

Re: Trousers v skirts/dresses
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2008, 03:57:34 pm »
I would ideally love to wear shorts like that, but my legs definitely aren't up to it  :(  I did find myself doing a lot of extra leg work in the gym last night, in an effort to make some difference before my lessons start!!
- Started:  04/05/08 (Bristol)
- Grade 2: 18/05/08
- Grade 3: 13/07/08
- Grade 4: 17/08/08
- Grade 5: 27/10/08
- Grade 6: 19/11/08

ice queen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2008, 08:12:16 pm »
But then what do they do about the chaps?  This is beginning to sound like the last bastion of sexism  :D

I agree maybe we could suggest shorts for the guys to test in! ;D

rach

« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2008, 08:27:28 pm »
I agree maybe we could suggest shorts for the guys to test in! ;D

If its sexism we against technically we make it equal and invite them to wear skirts too!!!! lol!
As said before i often wear leggings and skirts, would that count as skirt or trousers?!!!!

molly

« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2008, 10:49:23 am »
I would ideally love to wear shorts like that, but my legs definitely aren't up to it  :(  I did find myself doing a lot of extra leg work in the gym last night, in an effort to make some difference before my lessons start!!
A few month skating and your legs will definitely change shape. Mine have got some shape now  :) but who cares.
Give a skirt a try. O0
started skating  in April 07, age 53
Passed level 10 last year. Now just working on improving.

Christine

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2008, 01:26:25 pm »
A bit off the track of this topic, but there was a programme on TMF last night about an overweight, out of condition, American girl who wanted to be able to take part in a local figure skating gala.  It was one of these make your dreams come true shows.  It was quite fascinating as it showed her with an ice trainer, personal trainer for the gym and diet, ballet classes, make up and make over - it even found her a date for the senior prom  :D

She only had about 5 weeks to go from not skating at all to being able to do a 90 second programme, which would include a spiral, drag and some kind of simple jump.  She was dragged out of bed for training at 6 a.m., then school, then gym, then homework, cheerleading practice - she was a bit of a whinger, but she got there in the end and you could see a change in her body and her, even in such a short time.

Anyway, it encouraged me to try the stretches and balancing exercises that the physio gave me to do when I tore a leg muscle - and they also strengthen the knee muscles - I hate doing them but think about how much better I'll feel when my knees don't feel like someone is stabbing a knife into them  ;)
Gold Dance 2009
Bronze Free 19/03/2009
Working on Level 1 Field moves and would like to do Level 1 Dance if I find the time
Proud to be a 'Silver Skater' ! To live is to skate, to skate is to live. (Apologies to Snoopy)

rach

« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2008, 06:43:06 pm »
Knee exercises could be useful for me too! What do u have to do?

smelltheice

« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2008, 07:16:59 pm »
A bit off the track of this topic, but there was a programme on TMF last night about an overweight, out of condition, American girl who wanted to be able to take part in a local figure skating gala.  It was one of these make your dreams come true shows.  It was quite fascinating as it showed her with an ice trainer, personal trainer for the gym and diet, ballet classes, make up and make over - it even found her a date for the senior prom  :D

She only had about 5 weeks to go from not skating at all to being able to do a 90 second programme, which would include a spiral, drag and some kind of simple jump.  She was dragged out of bed for training at 6 a.m., then school, then gym, then homework, cheerleading practice - she was a bit of a whinger, but she got there in the end and you could see a change in her body and her, even in such a short time.

Anyway, it encouraged me to try the stretches and balancing exercises that the physio gave me to do when I tore a leg muscle - and they also strengthen the knee muscles - I hate doing them but think about how much better I'll feel when my knees don't feel like someone is stabbing a knife into them  ;)

was the tv show called MADE ? there was another a couple of months ago with a guy who was good at sports but secretly always wanted to be a figure skater, much to the horror of his overly macho father!!!
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

Christine

« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2008, 09:42:11 pm »
Knee exercises could be useful for me too! What do u have to do?

You stand on one foot splaying the toes and tensing the arch of the foot - lean against a wall for support if you need it, but it's also good for balance if you can manage without - and then bend at the knee and straighten.  Repeat about 10 times on each leg.  The other leg can either just be lifted of the floor or, hold it at the ankle against your bottom so that you're stretching that long muscle down the front of the thigh.  Hope that makes sense.  Another exercise the physio gave me was to stand on the edge of the stairs on my toes, then rise up on the toes and then drop your heals - great for your calf muscles.
Gold Dance 2009
Bronze Free 19/03/2009
Working on Level 1 Field moves and would like to do Level 1 Dance if I find the time
Proud to be a 'Silver Skater' ! To live is to skate, to skate is to live. (Apologies to Snoopy)

rach

« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2008, 07:17:52 pm »
Thanks! May have to try that - my knees are useless!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy