Author Topic: Trousers v skirts/dresses  (Read 15154 times)

Christine

Trousers v skirts/dresses
« on: January 23, 2008, 08:47:56 am »
Do any of you have an opinion on whether it's better to skate  in dresses/skirts than trousers?  A couple of women where I skate have said that they skated differently when they began to wear dresses because their posture improved.  I wear trousers but last week took a dress to change into but then chickened out - it's been a long time since my legs were revealed to the world  :-\
Gold Dance 2009
Bronze Free 19/03/2009
Working on Level 1 Field moves and would like to do Level 1 Dance if I find the time
Proud to be a 'Silver Skater' ! To live is to skate, to skate is to live. (Apologies to Snoopy)

abbi_1990

Re: Trousers v skirts/dresses
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 08:56:52 am »
i find if i wear the really thick skating tights i dont mind wearing a skirt or even shorts for skating. my legs dont feel so exposed lol!

i prefer to wear a skirt or shorts because then i cant catch my blade in the trouser leg and also because if you do spirals in  trousers sometimes the leg doesnt ride up so you can see your skin.

i think wearing a skirt makes you feel more gracefull and hence improves your posture.

i think you should go for it!

hth

Abbi
Jumps: 3 jump, salchow, toe loop, loop, flip, lutz, loop loop and flip loop combos

Spins: upright, sitspin, cross toe spin, (working on camel spin & backspin)

NISA Level 2 Field Moves, Elements and Free

Perpetuum - Bronze Meadalists at the 2010/11 National Synchro Opens

Christine

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:23:46 am »
Hi Abbi

The dress has been hanging on the wardrobe door for the last 4 weeks and I keep putting it on at home and then taking if off again.  Part of the problem is I don't wear skirts or dresses and part is thinking that I'm too old for the dress - crazy I know as  nobody cares what you wear and it's a black and grey diagonal stripe so nothing outrageous.  Tomorrow I'll definitely wear it  ;)
Gold Dance 2009
Bronze Free 19/03/2009
Working on Level 1 Field moves and would like to do Level 1 Dance if I find the time
Proud to be a 'Silver Skater' ! To live is to skate, to skate is to live. (Apologies to Snoopy)

abbi_1990

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:35:33 am »
Your dress sounds really nice.

Good luck for tomorrow then!

Jumps: 3 jump, salchow, toe loop, loop, flip, lutz, loop loop and flip loop combos

SkateMum

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 09:44:18 am »
Hi Christine

I know exactly how you feel - I don't ever wear dresses or skirts in normal life so I skate in trousers.

I have this silly complex that I'm not good enough to be wearing a skirt and I'm too old - stupid I know.  I think it is probably true though if you wear a skirt I am sure you would skate differently.

I am taking up ice dance and the lady there said it was compulsory to wear a skirt in the club - I think she was joking but I guess if everyone else is wearing a skirt I wouldn't feel like everyone was looking at me, which they wouldn't be anyway!

icedancer15

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 09:48:45 am »
Hi skatermum,

I am sure it was just a joke because there is only about 5 many be a bit more that wears a skirt or dress at the dance club.

Where is the club you are joining?

I love to wear my skirt or dress.I find that it is harder to skate in trousers because it isn't that easy to bend that well.

x

Christine

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 10:01:52 am »
Hello Skatermum

I'm glad it's not just me - I even bought a pair of tights to go with the dress because again, not wearing dresses/skirts there's no need for tights, but heavens, they're such a struggle to get into - how do people do this every day?  ???

Gold Dance 2009
Bronze Free 19/03/2009

abbi_1990

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:07:27 am »
i think it depends on what sort of tights you have got

i have some shiny lycra type ones and i find that they are not really easy to put on but the thicker opaque cotton ones are much easier.

Christine

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 10:17:44 am »
Yes, mine are the lycra type with a thick stripe pattern which makes it worse to put on as it's really obvious if they're not straight!  Maybe i should get the thick wool type tight - where did you buy yours?
Gold Dance 2009
Bronze Free 19/03/2009

abbi_1990

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 10:25:42 am »
i brought mine from

www.thedancersshop.co.uk

i got the 'Mondor footed tights - 3371 - child' which they also do in adult sizes.

Christine

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 10:36:35 am »
Thanks - I'll have a look later but have to go and do some work now  :P
Gold Dance 2009
Bronze Free 19/03/2009

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy