Author Topic: 'Rink will not meet standards', skating bosses claim  (Read 4158 times)

caffn8me

• Global Moderator
'Rink will not meet standards', skating bosses claim
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:33:49 pm »
Quote from: Streatham Guardian
An ice rink which was on track to becoming a centre of excellence for skaters across Europe will not be good enough to host top competitions, it has been claimed.

It's difficult to see how any rink will become a European centre of excellence with just a single ice pad anyway.  The recent European championships in Sheffield had access to three Olympic sized ice pads next to each other.  Nowhere in the south has even two pads together.

Full story here

Sarah

Skate UK start: 24/02/09
Met The Ice Mouse: 27/03/09
Broke wrist: 24/04/09
NISA L1 FM pass: 29/03/10
English Style Prelim test: 7/08/11
Working on: L2, L3, L4 FM, L1 Comp.Dance

Spiders on coffee

Trayo

Re: 'Rink will not meet standards', skating bosses claim
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:38:53 pm »
what a surprise to see Tesco involved.  ::)   They have to be champs of holding towns to ransom, promising the moon on a stick and eventually only giving the stick.

I don't know all the facts here, don't know that Tesco are actually at fault (they can be very litigous; thought I'd add that bit  :-* ) but where there is "town improvement controversy", they are sure to be there.  Look up Sleaford Tesco Extra plans to get a minute example of what a local town is going through!

caffn8me

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:40:56 pm »
Tesco is indeed the villain of the piece.  They originally signed an agreement with Lambeth council that a new permanent rink would be up and running before the old one was demolished.  They went back on that.

It's not good news.

Sarah

Spiders on coffee

Trayo

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:43:05 pm »

It's not good news.

Sarah

Tesco never are, in my opinion.  But it's even worse if an ice rink is involved  >:(

BeckyM

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:34:55 pm »
How silly! They would need at least a twin pad facility to gain any excellence status. Tesco really don't have a clue about ice rinks so why they heck are they developing them, what a joke!

There has been rumours floating around the NIC that once they have enough money, they will buy the land and build a third pad for Nottingham! It's a crazy old world of ice rinks hey  :D
Currently working on:
Spins - Sit, Camel & Scratch
Jumps - Loop & Flip

iSk8

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:29:42 am »
Well, there do seem to be valid concerns, but centre of excellence for skaters across Europe I'd put down as journalistic hyperbole - especially when compared with it's predecessor.  I don't think the initial aim there was to be a centre of excellence across much more than the local area.  It's more likely that any good coaches and ice time provision, coupled with some talented skaters, and affordability, will make it a centre of excellence.

Twin ice pads at least are a must for skaters at some high European level, but audience seating is just down to day-to-day economics.  You've got to get spectators in to hockey matches and other events.  You've got to have good visibility and protection around the ice pad.  You've got to be able to clear the ice for such events.  Some decent, untrashed, loos and cafe service also help.

Locking in a Zamboni seems stupid, even with maintenance.  They break down, and usually at the most inconvenient time.  Sometimes rinks borrow another one.  How do they propose to replace it at end-of-life?  Knock down a wall?

I can sort of understand the political mentality which doesn't consult and just wants to push it through, especially the thought of consulting with NISA, but if they've got any sense then they'll consult people with experience and apply the advice.

OMG, how did PC culture come up with a 'cabinet member for culture'?

It's frightening that 'work has barely started' and it reads as if NISA's comments were unsolicited comments with no consultation.

Hope the group 'Save Skating in Streatham' keep up the pressure.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:05:35 am by iSk8 »

caffn8me

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 09:42:54 am »
Some decent, untrashed, loos and cafe service also help.

Well, the brand new loos at Brixton rink which have only been open a few weeks have already been trashed by the local 'talent' and the promised cafe has failed to materialize.

Sarah

Spiders on coffee

iSk8

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:03:44 am »
Well, the brand new loos at Brixton rink which have only been open a few weeks have already been trashed by the local 'talent' and the promised cafe has failed to materialize.

Sarah

So, the temporary rink is well on its way to being an example of a top-class UK venue!

caffn8me

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 11:14:44 am »
Indeed :(

Sarah

Spiders on coffee

iSk8

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 12:16:43 pm »
Indeed :(

Sarah

If ice skating and dance wasn't so much fun I think I'd lose the will to go on and pursue this cause. :(

TexasUK

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 05:06:39 pm »
I'll be more than happy if the rink actually materialises, in fact I'll be very happily surprised if it actually gets built, and/or lasts for more than a year.

I agree with the post above, 'centre for excellence' sounds like a name he has found when Googling for info. about ice skating.

I'm not surprised to hear about building a Zamboni in, people never fail to show ignorance can win over planning.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy