Author Topic: Easiest moves are hard?  (Read 10632 times)

transmissionoftheflame

Re: Easiest moves are hard?
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2011, 08:48:12 pm »
Well in my case bad habits did start and persist through Skate UK, Passport and beyond.  But maybe I took too long over Skate UK.  But honestly at the rinks I skate at a lot of the adults, including me, are a bit lacking in the basics.  Maybe we should blame the private coaches.  But I do think that there is often a general sloppiness about the way skating is taught and approached, especially for adults.  I know we generally learn slower but that doesn't mean we can't learn to do things with precision.

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2011, 09:00:31 pm »
Speaking as an "Adult" that does SKUK (group lessons) and private lessons with a coach, I find the SKUK works on specific elements dependant on level, where as in the private lessons I can work on my weak areas that are not covered in SKUK.

My coach believes in getting the basics correct as they are the foundation for progressing to other things.

If you think of skating as driving a car - you have to know where the controls are and how to use them before you can get out on the road.

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

batikat

• videoing skate events - Two Door Video Productions
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2011, 09:18:40 pm »
Well in my case bad habits did start and persist through Skate UK, Passport and beyond.  But maybe I took too long over Skate UK.  But honestly at the rinks I skate at a lot of the adults, including me, are a bit lacking in the basics.  Maybe we should blame the private coaches.  But I do think that there is often a general sloppiness about the way skating is taught and approached, especially for adults.  I know we generally learn slower but that doesn't mean we can't learn to do things with precision.

So how much time did you spend on Skate UK and did you have a private coach as well during any of that time?  And how big were the groups in Skate UK?  If you only get a minutes worth of personal coaching time a week as I did in my rinks equivalent of Skate UK due to numbers in the group (over 25 skaters for the lower grades) then obviously there is no way you can learn all the basics well in that time - it all takes practice time which most people just doing Skate UK don't have or are not at that stage, willing to give to skating.

Private coaches should indeed be concerned that their skaters understand the basics but you do need to be doing other stuff too - and often trying harder things makes the stuff at your level suddenly seem easier.

That seems to be an argument for getting people through Skate UK as quickly as possible without worrying over much as to quality so they can then get decent private coaching and be sure to be practising things as correctly as possible for their standard.

Nobody is arguing that basics aren't vitally important but I don't think you can expect Skate UK to be the place to learn things to NISA level 1 and beyond standards.

There are definitely still private coaches around that don't think adults should be skating and don't bother to push them but there are also plenty that do believe adults can skate and skate well and will push them the same as the kids if that is what they want.
NISA level 4 FM & FD, 3 CD, 2 el & free & var
2012 BACs Gold at bronze FD
2011 Oxford bronze FD - bronze
Team Fusion
2011 Brit synchro champs gold

skatersam77

• Born to be on blades
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2011, 11:17:31 pm »
Still think some coaches are better than others, and some are more patient. I had one once who made me cry and said I was rubbish. There is no need for that and I am all for being told where I am going wrong, nut to be downright rude and offensive is another.
Thankfully 8 out of 10 of our coaches are nice, but there are a couple of nasty idiots
Working on Gold singles in skateUK and silver dance.

Field moves level 1

Jumps - Loop and flip
Spins - upright and sit and camel

batikat

• videoing skate events - Two Door Video Productions
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2011, 11:55:58 pm »
Still think some coaches are better than others, and some are more patient. I had one once who made me cry and said I was rubbish. There is no need for that and I am all for being told where I am going wrong, nut to be downright rude and offensive is another.
Thankfully 8 out of 10 of our coaches are nice, but there are a couple of nasty idiots

You'll get some coaches who are better than others in any sport or teaching situation and since people are all different, the way they respond to a certain coach is likely to be different too.  The coach that makes one person cry is the same coach that another will think is the best thing since sliced bread.

Given there are so many different learning styles (I think there are generally 4 recognised ones) it's quite possible on Skate UK that the coach you get doesn't suit your style of learning (e.g. you may be a visual learner who needs to be shown a move and to copy it exactly while another skater may be one who needs to hear how a move is done and prefers it to be explained verbally.)  Add in all the different personalities and it's no wonder people have very different experiences of a group course.

I'd say getting through Skate UK fast and then finding a coach that suits your personality and your learning style is the best way forward.  Having a number of different coaches on the different levels of learn to skate was a useful way of finding out which ones you'd like to be coached by later on.
NISA level 4 FM & FD, 3 CD, 2 el & free & var
2012 BACs Gold at bronze FD
2011 Oxford bronze FD - bronze
Team Fusion
2011 Brit synchro champs gold

skatersam77

• Born to be on blades
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2011, 10:18:42 am »
Well I am so glad that I finished Skate UK Dec 2010 and am now on passport silver dance and gold free. Yes I have a nice coach now she's patient and explains things really well.
Yes your right everyone else thinks that coach who made me cry is the best thing since sliced bread.  ???
Working on Gold singles in skateUK and silver dance.

Field moves level 1

Jumps - Loop and flip
Spins - upright and sit and camel

Icy_Matt

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2011, 11:00:58 am »
Well I am so glad that I finished Skate UK Dec 2010 and am now on passport silver dance and gold free. Yes I have a nice coach now she's patient and explains things really well.
Yes your right everyone else thinks that coach who made me cry is the best thing since sliced bread.  ???

You missed the point. I personally don't find "sliced bread" that fantastic, some do. One man's trash is another man's treasure. One man's meat etc etc. lol

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy