Author Topic: Guys using figure skates  (Read 9826 times)

MadMax

Guys using figure skates
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:54:33 am »
Do you think there is a Stigma attached to them?

Reason I ask is that if I am perfectly honest I would not mind having a try, but when I mentioned it to a few of the guys I skate with they laughed their heads off and called me a "man pussy" and asked if there was something wrong with me???. Also every time they see a guy in figures (other than the coach) they point and laugh  :-[.

If it was not for these guys I would have certainly bought a pair by now for my Skate UK stuff and for a bit of a comparison skating wise.

Thing is we are also friendly with a Girl who skates in Hockey's and that is "cool for them"  :o. I think in the next few months I will have my Skate UK stuff nailed as well as my Hockey skills stuff. Then what?

I would like to try and see if I can do more of the technical stuff but I'm just not sure if I could wear figure skates up there because of the ridicule. Is this typical? why does there seem to be a stigma attached to guys that use figure skates?
Ice Hockey is DEFINITELY harder, but Figure Skating is DEFINITELY more difficult.

Skate UK 1-10, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and playing Hockey.

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
Re: Guys using figure skates
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 12:12:32 pm »
MadMax

Go for it and ignore the laughs. I have only ever skated in figures. It may be that they are scared to have a go themselves and therefore want to put everyone else off them.

The Ice Mouse

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

Jumpingbean

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 12:18:54 pm »
Ignore the stupid comments and give it a go.  Figure skating is one of the most challenging and physically demanding sports that there is.  It's such a shame that this silly stigma exists.  It's all down to ignorance, that's all.
NISA Level 3 Elements
NISA Level 3 Free
NISA Level 4 Field Moves
NISA Level 3 Compulsory Dance
NISA Level 3 Free Dance
NISA Level 1 Variation Dance

angelgirls29

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 12:21:09 pm »
I agree.

It depends on what you care about more - the skating or looking "good".
Maybe you can be the one to change their opinions about men in figure skates?

Kelly

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 12:26:49 pm »

If your friends are pointing and laughing at men in figures skates and think you should laugh at people because they might be gay they sound really immature and maybe a bit backward to me.

Get whatever skates you like and at the same time get some new friends.

Kelly x

BeckyM

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:34:58 pm »
Try a different session, disco sessions attract the mindless youth hockey skaters who will act like idiots & probably make comments. If you can skate whilst the schools are in or on family sessions you'll find most people don't care what your wearing on your feet & certainly won't judge you. I think its great when I see guys in figures, I certainly have a lot more respect for them than the hockey but don't play hockey type. Only gripe I have is I personally cannot stand mens skates when they are the shiny black leather type, I just don't like them, I think the black suede or matt black/gun meta grey look much nicer but that's just my personal opinion  :)
Currently working on:
Spins - Sit, Camel & Scratch
Jumps - Loop & Flip

Icy_Matt

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:38:19 pm »
Heya Max,

I asked the same question when I first started.  http://www.skatingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3064.0 I started on Hockeys but the temptation of spinning and jumping was too much. You can do the basics with hockeys but what's the point unless you actually play hockey??

So if you want to advance your hockey skate skills you might as well play competitively. Have you considered it?

The stigma is definately there, I don't openly reveal to people I ice skate but that's partly because it's a thing I do for me. 
The problem with this stigma and stereotype isn't help by the skating world. I think I'll leave it at that.

Isolisk8

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 01:06:34 pm »
but when I mentioned it to a few of the guys I skate with they laughed their heads off and called me a "man pussy" and asked if there was something wrong with me???. Also every time they see a guy in figures (other than the coach) they point and laugh  :-[.

I'd find new skating buddies if I were you. Perhaps more mature ones than the twits with ignorant mind-sets you currently skate with.

IMO, there is nothing more attractive and stunning to see, than a guy skating elegantly and with style in figures.

Your skating pals are obviously unsure of their sexuality and feel threatened by your skills and are probably jealous that you look better on the ice than they do.

:)

Isolisk8
Started Skate UK 20/02/2010
Passed levels 9 & 10 24/ 03/2011 YAY!!

MadMax

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 01:23:28 pm »
I just read that thread, it is a bit of an eye opener  :P I had never really thought about a lot of the points raised. The whole gay thing had certainly never even entered my mind as I know you don't have to be gay to skate that is just silly. I am straight as they come and so are all the guys I am friendly with I think but could be wrong I guess??.

I would love to learn to play Ice Hockey but I would also like to learn more technical stuff. The Hickeys are fast but a lot of stuff on them is more difficult or just not possible. So when you try and pick bits up using them watching the figure skaters you always seem to wonder if it is even possible to do.

But the guys do really take the piss out of the blokes in figure skates, and when I go it is not "kid soup" or "Disco night" so I can imagine those times are worse.

I have not had any issues telling any of my friends that I go skating a lot they just assume that I will end up playing on some recreational Hockey team or buying a rink or something.  A few of them come along with me when they can but mostly I go on my own.

But honestly this does worry me a bit, if there was no stigma I would have bought a pair weeks back.

Ice Hockey is DEFINITELY harder, but Figure Skating is DEFINITELY more difficult.

Isolisk8

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 01:29:21 pm »
But honestly this does worry me a bit, if there was no stigma I would have bought a pair weeks back.

I would've thought that a guy with your background and experience wouldn't care two hoots about any "stigma"

Isolisk8
Started Skate UK 20/02/2010
Passed levels 9 & 10 24/ 03/2011 YAY!!

MadMax

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 02:03:39 pm »
Yeah it is a funny one really I cant really put my finger on it. My life massively changed  over the last ten years and I bought a Ferrari a few years back and have struggled driving it as I worry that it is a bit pretentious. I also don't like the attention that it brings as people are always taking pictures etc. I am not a judgemental person myself but have had some bad experiences over the years from people around me that I thought were my friends but turned out to be quite ransid.

I try not to bring attention to myself where possible (this is a forum you don't know me from Adam  :D so I dont care what I type), I used to be in the press a fair bit and was relatively public in the business world. I wrote a book then decided not to publish it, I gave up all my public speaking, I used to write a business column for a paper and canned that as well as I did not want the attention. But over the years things that have been said or written about me have hurt my feelings, this has just made me a bit more self conscious I guess???.

I am leaning towards the "who cares" on this and think I will get a set a set and see if I like them. But can say that the posts here have helped to get me off the fence.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy