Author Topic: Incorrectly mounted blades?  (Read 2036 times)

abbi_1990

Incorrectly mounted blades?
« on: October 24, 2007, 08:58:09 pm »
I have been having trouble with backwards chasses on a right outisde edge. The problem is that when i try to do them, i am not actually skating on an outside edge - my foot always drops to the inside edge.

My coach has tried various ways to try and remedy it but nothing has worked so far. Last week my coach mentioned that it could be because the blade may be mounted incorrectly. But i can do a right outside edge going forwards e.g. 3-turns, forward chasses and forward crossovers, but i can do it going backwards so my coach wasnt sure?!

Its really frustrating because i cant pass level 6 untill i can do them.

Has anyone else had problems like this? DO you know of any ways to fix it?

(by the way, my skates are reidell red ribbons, i brought them over the internet from Everglides.com)
Jumps: 3 jump, salchow, toe loop, loop, flip, lutz, loop loop and flip loop combos

Spins: upright, sitspin, cross toe spin, (working on camel spin & backspin)

NISA Level 2 Field Moves, Elements and Free

Perpetuum - Bronze Meadalists at the 2010/11 National Synchro Opens

Airyfairy76

Re: Incorrectly mounted blades?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 08:34:41 am »
It might just be a confidence / get better over time thing.

I was practicing the landing position last night (3 backward crossovers into a sustained backward outside edge, like you would land out of a jump) and she was telling me that lots of people do find themselves falling onto their inside edge at first, when going backwards. 

Although I have not had a problem with this as such, one thing that helped me increase my BO edge was to push the inside hip a little more over the skating leg, to push your weight further inside the circle.  Not having your weight right over that skating foot would make it near enough impossible to get a good outside edge.
AMANDA

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance . . . "

www.iceneasy.blogspot.com

Gareth

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 04:15:51 pm »
To get a good outside edge, you really need to lean into it, it will probably be quite scary at first, but you will be very surprised how much you can lean into and edge without it slipping out, as long as your blades are sharp.

You say you got your skates from everglides, John who will have mounted your blades is very good, so i very much doubt it will be incorrectly mounted blades, Im also skating in riedell boots), they mounted the blades on those and my other boots and they have been fine.

You could also have your blades sharpened, they could have done a bad job last time you had them done, which could cause that problem. If your inside edge is higher than the outside it will be difficult to hold an outside edge.

abbi_1990

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 07:55:55 pm »
A skate repair person looked at them for me today and said that the blade isnt in the right position but he doesnt do repairs anymore because he has had an illness so he told me the name of another person where i could get the blade remounted.

My coach has advised me to wait 2 more weeks to see if i can correct the problem with practice and technique, and then reveiw the situation.

So ill just have to wait and see what happens. I am trying to put my weight further into the circle but its scary! i keep thinking my foot is going to slip out from underneath me. :o

Gareth-  thats interesting about having the blades sharpened, i have found a new place to get my skates sharpened that others have reccomended to me, so i might take them there to get the resharpened.

Thanks for your help and replies :)
Jumps: 3 jump, salchow, toe loop, loop, flip, lutz, loop loop and flip loop combos

missk_ensington

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 01:20:04 am »
Look at the stitching at the front of your boot; does it run in a line with the blade? If not, they might not be on properly.

I had that problem, my right blade was too far to the right and thus I was constantly dropping onto an inside edge and couldn't skate on an outside edge. We just moved the blade over a tiny bit and it was fixed x

Gareth

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 06:46:38 pm »
A skate repair person looked at them for me today and said that the blade isnt in the right position but he doesnt do repairs anymore because he has had an illness so he told me the name of another person where i could get the blade remounted.

My coach has advised me to wait 2 more weeks to see if i can correct the problem with practice and technique, and then reveiw the situation.

So ill just have to wait and see what happens. I am trying to put my weight further into the circle but its scary! i keep thinking my foot is going to slip out from underneath me. :o
Gareth-  thats interesting about having the blades sharpened, i have found a new place to get my skates sharpened that others have reccomended to me, so i might take them there to get the resharpened.

Thanks for your help and replies :)

Your foot wont slip out from under you. i have put a picture up of one of my boots, look at scuff marks on the sole, i have been on an edge where the sole of my boot has rubbed the ice and my foot hasnt slipped out!

Another thing, dont use the toe seam to see if your blades are mounted correctly as it quite often shifts to one side.

abbi_1990

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 09:04:30 pm »
Nice skates Gareth :)

I dont think the person used the toe seam to check weather the blades were correctly/incorrectly mounted.

Ill try to believe you that my foot wont slip out lol, i had a fall a few weeks ago because my left foot slipped from underneath me when i was doing forward crossovers so i find it hard lol. How did u manage to get an edge where the sole of your boot touched the ice?

figureskater10

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:38:49 pm »
i think i have the same problem as you!!

for some reason, i cannot do backward crossovers very well going around anti-clockwise, i.e using my outside edges on my right leg. i just can't seem to hold the edge.

but i am not sure if thats the problem <--- i always lean forward and dont bend my knees enough!

its really weird because going clockwise i can do them perfectly, but the other way its just a no-no!

Currently working on Skate UK Star Passport SILVER!
Backwards Spiral = GETTING THERE
A Single Salchow = GETTING THERE
One Foot Spin = COMPLETED
A Teapot = GETTING THERE
and..
Over 700 posts...wow :)

abbi_1990

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 08:18:54 pm »
aww lol

i havent got a clue anymore! im just gunna keep on trying to get them better, still got another 3 weeks before tests so hopefully i will be able to sort it out by then.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy