Author Topic: New Off-Ice Skates - has anyone used them?  (Read 36566 times)

TexasUK

Re: New Off-Ice Skates - has anyone used them?
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 11:42:48 am »
There are a lot of skills that will transfer, either fully or in part. I think so long as you realise and accept that it isn't ice skating, and that there is a difference then why not, especially if you can't afford or have the time to go to the rink as much as you would like.

There are a few different types made by different companies, these look no worse or better (or any different really) than the others.

Lisam

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 03:19:13 pm »
I have the off-ice skates and I really love them. I went onto the ice again yesterday, after not really having ice skated in the last 2 years and only having skated on my off-ice skates for a month, and the transition was really weird, I couldn't skate forwards at all, but after 15 minutes it was great.
I'm still a beginner but the off-ice skates have improved my left crossovers immensely, last time I was on ice I couldn't do them at all, so practicing them off ice has been the thing that's improved them. My forwards crossovers have also improved. But I'm starting skate UK next week and then hopefully I can practice what I learn on my off-ices (because I won't be able to practice at a rink between classes).

I can't say how good they are for spins or jumps, I'm a long way off that. But if you can't get to a rink I would really recommend them. for the past 2 years I've not been able to get to the rink, been unemployed through illness and it costs me over £20 per visit to the rink (and will take at least 3 hours of my day because of travel). So the off-ice skates were only the equivilent of 6 trips to the rink, so really worth it for me and I get to skate several times a week this way. It's also lovely skating in the sunshine! & I get to skate with my friend who has recently bought aggressive inline skates.

My only problems are - they're not comfortable to skate on concrete that's bumpy at all, I can only skate on the skate park which is smooooooth, so if the skate park is busy I can't skate that day (not safe to use around boarders & agg skaters doing the ramps). I've seen some skaters with pic skates skate in car parks and tennis courts but for me it just doesn't seem to work........ but that's not really the skates fault, obviously to replicate the ice is hass to be smooth.
But my biggest problem is although I'm a size 5, I bought skates in a size 5 and they're really loose on my feet. They fit in length so I can't get a 4 (I even wear a size 6 in shoes sometimes so it's not that I'm smaller than a 5), but I think if I was doing advanced moves they might become dangerous because they're not tight enough. I have to wear thick socks which isn't ideal and even then they're loose. I wore my ice skates yesterday, first time in forever, they're risport and I was omg they're so tight!! But that's the proper fit. For people with a wider foot they probably have a good fit, but if you have a narrow/flat foot they might be loose. When I can afford it I want to buy a new risport boot and have it mounted to the off-ice frame.
Working on Skate UK 7 (inside 3 turn) and 8/9.

Trayo

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 11:54:02 pm »
Sounds good but I would like to make a point about off Ice skates.

I don't believe that they will benefit your skating as training off ice is different to training on Ice.Therefore you might be able to do a techqniue off Ice but as soon as you get onn the Ice you might not able to achieve the techinque.

Therefore I would pefer to skate on Ice.

I am sure we would all prefer to practis eon ice but there are so many barriers for some of us - copst, distance to the rink and therefore cost of fule and time travelling versus rink opening hours etc.

Our Pics have made a huge difference, enabling us to practise off ice.  It is easy to get edges, my daughter can spin quite easily in hers, I get to practise jumps (as does she - the only jump she has found harder off ice than on is the lutz, and that is getting better the more she practises) and more importantly, there is no fuel costs invloved, or rink entry!

We have had no problem transferring skills between the two.  If anything, it has been made easier because we get more practise in.  My illnes means I lose muiscle memory incredibly fast; by being able to skate off ice just once a week it is helping to retain that muscle memory and make it easier - and safer - for me when I go to the rink.

A new company to us has started doing roller skate sessions at a local town sports centre.  I contacted them and they were happy - even excited - for L and I to take our Pics and practise during these sessions. providing we use the centre of the hall and do jumps and spins only when there is space for it to be done safely.

MrPastry!

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 12:18:12 am »
I am sure we would all prefer to practis eon ice but there are so many barriers for some of us - copst, distance to the rink and therefore cost of fule and time travelling versus rink opening hours etc.

Our Pics have made a huge difference, enabling us to practise off ice.  It is easy to get edges, my daughter can spin quite easily in hers, I get to practise jumps (as does she - the only jump she has found harder off ice than on is the lutz, and that is getting better the more she practises) and more importantly, there is no fuel costs invloved, or rink entry!

We have had no problem transferring skills between the two.  If anything, it has been made easier because we get more practise in.  My illnes means I lose muiscle memory incredibly fast; by being able to skate off ice just once a week it is helping to retain that muscle memory and make it easier - and safer - for me when I go to the rink.

A new company to us has started doing roller skate sessions at a local town sports centre.  I contacted them and they were happy - even excited - for L and I to take our Pics and practise during these sessions. providing we use the centre of the hall and do jumps and spins only when there is space for it to be done safely.

'All makes perfect sense to me Trayo!  Do you use the four wheel version or the three?
Geoff.
NISA Field moves level 1
BAC PreBronze FreeSkating Gold Medal 2010 
Bracknell 2010 Ringwould Freeskating Trophy

Love Ice Dance...
(Hon' Chairman NAWMD
- National Assn  of "Wobbly Men" Dancers!) ~:o)

pingsk8er

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 10:49:46 am »
Just wanted to say thanks to all the contributions.  The experiences shared have been really helpful.  My daughter has very narrow feet, so it looks clear that we should look into buying the wheel kit and attaching them to proper ice skate boots.  I planned to talk to the school re a place to skate to find out if they would support my daughter using the gym hall or possibly even the astro-turf.  She's only at entry level competition, but this is such an unusual sport for our area that I think they may be helpful. Small/medium sized rural communities are short on large, well maintained car parking areas!

Lisam

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 12:07:43 pm »

That's fantastic Trayo, do let us know how it all goes!
I know the off-ice skates company have been saying for ages they will be having classes in sports centres etc, still not heard anything from them but it'd be great if they did something like that in my town (because I could just walk there or get  the bus, much cheaper).. though to be fair it's unlikely, it'd probably only reach cities and then I'd have the same problem as getting to the rink! But oh well, like you said practice time on them is great especially when you're doing it inbetween on ice sessions and practicing what you've learnt, I'm hoping it will help me progress quicker when I do start skate Uk lessons.
Working on Skate UK 7 (inside 3 turn) and 8/9.

i-skate

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 11:30:37 am »
Hi, Has anyone tried these new Off-Ice skates launched in February this year?  we live a long way from an ice-rink so seems a good way of getting extra practice without the petrol consumption.

thanks

I own 2 pairs of these (one pair of UK size 6's are for sale if anyones interested?!).
They're great! The blades have edges so after a few days of getting used to them, they do feel like ice skates, and you CAN transfer skills from on ice to off ice and back again easily. Any good figure skater knows its about technique, so if you get that right in these babies, all you need to add is a little more balance when on ice. They're ideal for generally skating to the shop and back too!

i-skate

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 11:31:09 am »

I own 2 pairs of these (one pair of UK size 6's are for sale if anyones interested?!).
They're great! The wheels have edges so after a few days of getting used to them, they do feel like ice skates, and you CAN transfer skills from on ice to off ice and back again easily. Any good figure skater knows its about technique, so if you get that right in these babies, all you need to add is a little more balance when on ice. They're ideal for generally skating to the shop and back too!

daisylu

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 09:41:15 am »
My daughter has these and can easily do the same jumps, spins in them as she does on ice. 

She uses them indoors at the Leisure Centre (as they have just started a roller skating club there), I don't know how they would be on concrete.

The only bad thing I have to say about them is the quality of the boot.  If you are used to skating in a decent boot, then don't waste your money on the full kit. I would say the boot is about the standard of that found on a £39.99 pair of skates.

Keep an eye out on eBay - I paid £45 for them.

linny40

• Started to learn Off-Ice Skating Jan 2012 age 50
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 06:00:43 pm »
Hi i know this is a very old thread but found it on google so joined to give some input. :)

Off Ice Skates are totally different to roller blades or inline skates. I started lessons local to me a few months ago and loving it. I now have my own skates - changed my blades for the chassis. Not that i was a real ice skater but had my own boots as i did manage to go a few times.

The nearest Ice rink to me is over and hr away in most directions. When you get there the rinks are busy or full of good skaters which doesn't give non skaters a change to practise or learn.

On these off-Ice Skates you can skate on almost any surface and lots of pro and celeb skaters use them. If you look on their website which was given in an earlier post you will see press cuttings of celebs that have tried them along with videos.
You can do jumps spins and various skills on them. Granted it may be harder as the chassis is much heavier than an ice blade. But when you transfer from the wheels to the ice blade it is far easier.
Meaning you can practice your skills almost anywhere then take it to the ice and skater better

As i have brought this thread up todate i might as well ask if any of you saw Watson & Oliver do the Bolero on them for Sports relief and 2 skaters do a routine on them on last weeks Britains got Talent.
One of my coaches is an ex Olympic pairs skater ;D
the 2 Karen's that invented them were on Dragons den and invented them due to lack of ice rinks in the UK.
I have heard people and pro skaters sat they are as good as ice skates if you don't have the luxury of having a rink locally and want to skate.
L1 Off-Ice skating coach-June 2013
Broke Ankle 2014 -no skating since

linny40

• Started to learn Off-Ice Skating Jan 2012 age 50
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 06:17:18 pm »
i forgot to mention that yes they do have lessons in the South East of the country. Rather than me add details feel its best for you to look on their websites.
There is also now a new skateworld school in beckenham Kent which is part of HJA academy (Herbert Justice Academy).

Sorry as a newb  and not had a chance to read the rules not sure if i can add websites to the post but google off-ice skates and their website is top of the google page, there is also a local site for the south east off-iceskating-southeast which also gives you details for lessons  and HJA academy for details .
The coaches have all been trained and they use a rainbow programme to help both ice and off-ice skaters learn.
There are i have heard other brands out  there but these specific Off-Ice Skates were designed by 2 ladies called Karen.

If i can help anyone with any info about them please let me know.

Would love to be able to skate on a regular basis at an ice rink but its just not possible and to expensive to drive and hour each way with the price of petrol these days then the hire of the skates only to be on the rink with 100's of others at a time   
L1 Off-Ice skating coach-June 2013
Broke Ankle 2014 -no skating since

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy