Author Topic: Martin's ice skating tour, Easter (almost) 2012  (Read 10333 times)

tmrancho2

Re: Martin's ice skating tour, Easter (almost) 2011
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 09:21:42 pm »
Gosport is a bit rubbish! Freezing cold too. The good thing is, it never seems to get busy. They seem pretty active with ice shows, hockey, synchro etc. A friendly bunch with a tiny rink. Impossible to practice compulsory dances!

Not sure I'm looking forward to my Gosport visit now, but thanks for letting me know about it. :-\

Glitterskate

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 11:13:12 pm »
Sorry-it is friendly though! My home rink is rubbish too in others' eyes -cold, dirty and falling apart but I love it. Enjoy your tour!

tmrancho2

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 10:57:27 am »
Just about to leave first stop Slough, see you all later.

nikobix

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 02:16:20 pm »
Just about to leave first stop Slough, see you all later.

What a shame, I will be at Slouf tomorrow.

Have fun, and I hope they have fixed the heating it was freezing last week.  ;)

Cheers
Back skating after almost 20 year break and looooving it.

L4wrence

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 03:57:41 pm »
The heating will take at least another few weeks yet to fix. I have heard stories between 2 weeks to 2 months so likely something in between!

nikobix, when are you at Slough tomorrow?

Martin, will you be there for the evening session tomorrow? If so I'll pop over and say hi after my group lesson.

nikobix

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 04:01:06 pm »
The heating will take at least another few weeks yet to fix. I have heard stories between 2 weeks to 2 months so likely something in between!

Martin, will you be there for the evening session tomorrow? If so I'll pop over and say hi after my group lesson.

I normally skate at 13:30 - 14:00 for about an hour. Its my lunch break.
Back skating after almost 20 year break and looooving it.

L4wrence

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 04:03:12 pm »
Ah have fun, I am sometimes skating around then but I am working in the office tomorrow so no lunch time skate for me!

tmrancho2

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 07:53:47 pm »
Slough done today, very quite session, good fun.

Bracknell tomorrow for the 10.30am session.

tmrancho2

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 07:56:48 pm »

I might try and make the evening session tomorrow (Thursday) does it get very busy as it was very quite today (10 people max). Don't know how we will recognise each other, I will have hockey skates, is your real name Lawrence?

Martin

iSk8

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 08:58:36 pm »
Gosport is a bit rubbish! Freezing cold too. The good thing is, it never seems to get busy. They seem pretty active with ice shows, hockey, synchro etc. A friendly bunch with a tiny rink. Impossible to practice compulsory dances!

Sure it's small, but not impossible.  Needed a bit of control, bend and edges to get the appropriate dance curves across the rink.  It's a few years since I've been but there used to be a 'club' of sorts on one evening.  I recollect the first part was 'free', with a shared changeover and then the second part used to have a dance session.  They were a friendly crowd.

I'd guess that public sessions at a popular time were something to avoid.

L4wrence

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 08:41:39 am »
I might try and make the evening session tomorrow (Thursday) does it get very busy as it was very quite today (10 people max). Don't know how we will recognise each other, I will have hockey skates, is your real name Lawrence?

Martin

Thursday evenings can vary, so I can't say it's not going to be busy for sure, but it certainly won't be only 10 people on the ice! You get a lot of hockey skaters on the Thursday evening, some are really good and although they are fast they take care not to get in the way. Some others don't seem to be so considerate!

I should be fairly easy to spot, there are not many blokes wearing black figure skates and black tracksuit bottoms and black gloves at the rink. I always wear some sort of long sleeve sports top as well. I think you've posted photos on the forum before so I know roughly who to look out for.

Oh and yes, my name's Lawrence :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy