Author Topic: what is the difference between twizzles and double three turns?:)  (Read 7175 times)

figureskater95

bit confused about these, any explanations would be great:D
Started Skate UK in 2010 and skated for a year and a half.
Having lessons again after a four year break.
President of the Uni of Southampton FSC

Isolisk8

Re: what is the difference between twizzles and double three turns?:)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 06:28:11 pm »
bit confused about these, any explanations would be great:D

A twizzle is more like an inside or outside several  revolution spin on one foot ending up in forward direction again going on a straight line.  Ususlly you do deveral alternating your foot each time. Consecutive 3 turns is a turn gliding on back foot backwards then stepping on other foot, turning to forwards and then repeating the 3 turn but on a curve

Isolisk8
Started Skate UK 20/02/2010
Passed levels 9 & 10 24/ 03/2011 YAY!!

BeckyM

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:15:13 pm »
Higher level twizzles tend to end backwards (but can end forward) and consist of around 8+ double three turns on the same leg in a straight line but with vertually no edge inbetween if that makes sense. Often in competition (dance) they usually do two sets of these after each other using both the feet and alternating positions. One of my coaches once said it's basically a backspin that travels but should not look like that  :D. I think in the lower levels they teach a twizzle in more of a triple three turn way which after completing it on one leg you switch to the alternative.

Double three turns are a forward 3 turn immediately followed by a back three turn all on the same leg. These can be done both inside & outside.

Edit: Clarified a little!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:21:33 pm by BeckyM »
Currently working on:
Spins - Sit, Camel & Scratch
Jumps - Loop & Flip

ezika

• Hopelessly addicted to skating
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 07:31:08 pm »
Thanks Becky!

Do you hold the edge in between the three turns in a double three, or is it really quick?

Started Skate UK 10/1/09
Passed Gold free 26/8/10

Working on upright spin, back spin, sit spin, camel spin, salchow, toe loop, loop, level 1FM

http://turniponice.blogspot.com/

BeckyM

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 07:38:19 pm »
You can do it fast or slow. You might find it easier either way. Obviously slower you've got the time to wait on that back edge to get yourself into the right position for the back 3 turn. You really need to sit back into your skate on the backwards turn otherwise you'll just end up on your toe pick.

I found the forwards inside to back outside the easiest double three to learn at first. We use double threes to prepare for loop :)
Currently working on:
Jumps - Loop & Flip

caffn8me

• Global Moderator
  • Womble on ice (Novice)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:42:00 pm »
I found the forwards inside to back outside the easiest double three to learn at first. We use double threes to prepare for loop :)

I certainly find a backward outside edge entry easier for backward single threes than a back inside edge so that makes sense.

Sarah
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:11:39 pm by caffn8me »

Skate UK start: 24/02/09
Met The Ice Mouse: 27/03/09
Broke wrist: 24/04/09
NISA L1 FM pass: 29/03/10
English Style Prelim test: 7/08/11
Working on: L2, L3, L4 FM, L1 Comp.Dance

Spiders on coffee

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 07:43:51 pm »
I understand a twizzle to be like a double three but in a twizzle you don't really fully get on the edge - in a double three your weight transfers from the front to the back of skate more fully, in a twizzle there is a front-to-back transfer of weight but between 2 points closer to the centre of the blade.
I have tried in vain to find some pictures on the net of the tracings that each one makes - but if you can find a decent skater at your rink and get them to do double 3s and then twizzles you'll see that the tracings made are similar but fairly easily distinguishable as one or the other.
Maybe someone who is good at drawing could post a diagram, or better still someone who has a mobile phone camera can take a picture and post it.

chaos

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:10:46 pm »
A twizzle doesn't involve knee movement, so you stay at one level all the way through -  for the double three you rise and fall as your weight changes from the front to the back of the blade.....  yeah  :)
It started with a dream.........

BeckyM

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 08:18:08 pm »
Okay here is a video of lots of different variations of twizzles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNcx-UmGWGc

And here is an example of an adult doing double 3 turns: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBthsfiTPag

Hope this clears things up  :)
Currently working on:
Jumps - Loop & Flip

chaos

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 08:32:15 pm »
Okay, recommend you watch this clip of high level ice dancers doing lots of threes in their step sequence followed by twizzles - check out Sinead's knee bend (to die for)on the threes and compare with her twizzles at the end of the sequence.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLik1xClfXg

It started with a dream.........

BeckyM

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 09:39:46 pm »
Love that OD. The double 3's start at 1:02 mins in and the twizzles are from 1:10 mins in  :)
Currently working on:
Jumps - Loop & Flip

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy