Author Topic: MK Professional, Wilson Coronation Ace ore Wilson Four Aces? HELP, please!  (Read 7165 times)

HollyGlit

Dear all,
I'm a new entry

I'm dealing with an incredible challenge: I need a new pair of skates and... I can'd decide what it is better for me! :p

I would define my skating level as "intermediate": I can jump single axel, clean doubles salchow, rit, toe-loop and not so clean double lutz and double flip.

I would go in Risport RF2 standard (NOT Super, I'm thin and not so tall, so my teacher told me that RF2 Super could be really tough for me) but I can't decide for blades.

The shop assistant suggested me these 3 options:

1. MK Professional (220 euro)
2. Wilson Coronation Ace (200 euro)
3. Wilson Four Aces (240 euro)

Through a basic comparison I've tryed to do in these hours, the only difference I see is that MK Pro and Wilson Cor. Ace have got the cross-cut pick, whereas Wilson Four Aces has got the straight-cut pick.

Any other differences????

In your opinion, what could be the right choice for me?
Thank you in advance for helping me to decide!

(My *very* old skates are Risport RF3 + MK Club 2000)

_____

I'd like to add my last considerations on what I saw this afternoon at the shop...

TOE RAKE

MK Professional blade has got the smaller Toe Rake dimension respect to other two blades. It is slightly shorter than the JW Coronation Ace one and shorter enough than the JW Four Aces one.
Sincerely, I don't know the meaning of having a shorter or longer Toe Rake dimension  ... are you more skilled than me?! 

CUT PICK

MK Professional and JW Coronation Ace have got a cross-cut pick. JW Four Aces has got a straight Pick.
I suppose that a cross-cut pick should help you in the toe-jumps, even if the shop assistant told that, practically, there is no difference.
mumble mumble...

FIRST UPPER TOOTH

MK Professional has got the most prominent tooth and has got an evident curve profile (like a bump) between the first Tooth and the point of attack to the Toe Plate. On the contrary, both JW blades have got a smoother profile (it is almost linear, not so bumped) and a less prominent First Tooth.

I think this is one of the main (and important?) feature/peculiarity of the blades but I don't know what it means. I suppose it is useful in the toe-jumps, but I'm not skilled enough to understand what is better or what is more useful for one person and for another one. Please, help me!

DRAG PICK (LAST LOWER TOOTH)

What I've noted is that, generally, JW blades (both Coronation Ace and Four Aces) have got a Drag Pick more curved to the bottom. MK Professional, on the contrary, has got a Drag Pick more "plain".
Obviously,  I don't know anything about the usefulness of having a prominent drag pick or not... sorry
SPIN ROCKER
This is a big grey cloud for me. MK Professional and JW Coronation Ace seem to have the same Spin Roker (7"), on the other hand, JW Four Aces seems to have a larger Spin Rocker (8") even if, on the official website, it is declared a Spin Rocker of 7.

NOSE and TAIL of the BLADE

In general, I've noted that MK Professional has got the blade nose going to the top and a tail flatter (quite parallel to the ground).
Both JW Coronation Ace ad Four Aces have got a flatter nose and a more curved tail that goes to the top.

So far, these are just my considerations based on what I've seen. I've bought my boots but the blades... not yet.
I'd like to have a more clear overview on the *usefulness* of these blade peculiarities...

Could anyone help me, please?
Thank you in advance   
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 08:58:06 pm by HollyGlit »

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
Re: MK Professional, Wilson Coronation Ace ore Wilson Four Aces? HELP, please!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:44:02 pm »
To be honest you can analyse the specs as much as you like but the plain truth is that you really will not know until you try one out. Blades to a skater are a very personal choice and if it feels right and works then go for it but if not, make a different choice next time you change blades.   I know that sounds very simplistic and few skaters are wealthy enough to swap and change blades like underwear until the find what fits them best but experience is ruly the only surefire way to know for sure what is right for you
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

BeckyM

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 01:05:56 am »
Welcome to the forum  O0

I'm no expert on blades but from your skating ability (up to the higher doubles) you probably would want to look at the higher range blades. Aces and Professionals are lower-intermediate blades. I would look towards Gold Stars and the other top end blades.

I would also recommend you speak to your coach about blades before you purchase anything!
Currently working on:
Spins - Sit, Camel & Scratch
Jumps - Loop & Flip

Icy_Matt

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:45:35 am »
I did heaps of research looking for my first decent blade. I remember reading MK professional and coronation ace are more for lower level up to doing axels and starting doubles.

You're obviously above that level. There're more advance blades as Becky has mentioned. Those are for those working on doubles up to triples and quads. They're way expensive.  :o.

The prices you've quoted seems ridiculously high. I can get those blades new posted to Aus from US for much less.

HollyGlit

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 09:05:40 am »
Hi!
Fisrt of all, thank you for your interesting replies

About my old blades, at the beginning I started with Risport RF4 + MK 21, then after 5 months, I switched to RF3.

My current blade is 2 years old, but it is very very used. It is not able to keep the sharpening and the last tooth is very very consumed (so, my spin rocker is very consumed as well).

Honestly, I have to say that my coach told me to change my blades last year, but I've tried to use them one year more.
And honestly as well, maybe I've always been using lower blades compared to my skating level.

I'm trying to consider Four Aces (that seems to be slightly upper than the other ones. In the other case, I would go for  MK Pro), the shop assistant told me that they could be better in keeping the sharpening. I don' t know...

About the price... it could be strange, but here, the price of this kind of blades is around 200 euros. sad, but true :(

BeckyM

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 04:48:30 pm »
Hello again :)

I would strongly suggest you do get a blade appropriate to your level, if not your going to risk wearing them down very quick and not having the precision you require at your level.

The prices you are quoting are so high it makes me think it would probably be cheaper for you to buy a better blade from the UK and get it shipped over.

Here are some considerations for you -

John Wilson - Pattern 99 - £227 http://johnturner-tcg.co.uk//product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=37&osCsid=7a4216ad3b06d9804ae7265d365e35c9

MK - Phantom - £240 - http://johnturner-tcg.co.uk//product_info.php?cPath=22_30&products_id=50&osCsid=21992419f19c6044725b9a96dd3ef5c1

The website I have given you is from our top blade sharpener in the UK - he also sells boots and blades. If you give him a call, he will be able to tell you how much delivery would cost  EU
Currently working on:
Spins - Sit, Camel & Scratch
Jumps - Loop & Flip

Beemer

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 07:31:03 pm »
HollyGlit,

Here is a link to the best John Wilson prices I have found in the UK

http://www.iceboxskating.co.uk/icebox/index.php?cPath=63_64_74

Ian (Coronation Ace)
Gold - May 2013

HollyGlit

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 07:54:23 pm »
Hi!
First of al... Merry Christmas!!! :)
I'd like to thank you and BeckyM and Beemer for all your suggestions! Yesterday afternoon I went to the skate shop and ask for an advanced blade and a discount.
So...
Underneath my Christmas three, yesterday night, I found... a new pair of skates from my boyfriend!
A wonderful pair of Risport RF2 + JW Four Aces!

The shop assistant tolm me that JW four aces are more advanced than Coronation and Professional and they could be a good compromise between an advanced blade and a good price.
Then, after having taken a look on prices on line, I've asked for a super discount and I've got skates + blades + assembly (sharpening excluded) for 450 euro.

:) :) :) :) :)

Now... I've just noted that the size of my boot is 245 and the size4 of my blade il 9 1/2.
I've checked on this website

http://www.skatetrix.ch/MK-Wilson-Blades/MK-Wilson-size-E_index.html

and noted that, if my sole is 245, the correct size of blades should be 9.1/4. Surfing o other websites, they told that the correct size would be 9.1/4 or 9.1/3.

9.1/2 would be for skate size 250.

What do you think about it? Should a keep my boots+blades as they are or I have to ask for a smaller size?
Thank you in advance and merry christmas again!!!!
bye bye!!!!!!

Beemer

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 09:21:26 am »
Hi!
First of al... Merry Christmas!!! :)
I'd like to thank you and BeckyM and Beemer for all your suggestions! Yesterday afternoon I went to the skate shop and ask for an advanced blade and a discount.
So...
Underneath my Christmas three, yesterday night, I found... a new pair of skates from my boyfriend!
A wonderful pair of Risport RF2 + JW Four Aces!

The shop assistant tolm me that JW four aces are more advanced than Coronation and Professional and they could be a good compromise between an advanced blade and a good price.
Then, after having taken a look on prices on line, I've asked for a super discount and I've got skates + blades + assembly (sharpening excluded) for 450 euro.

:) :) :) :) :)

Now... I've just noted that the size of my boot is 245 and the size4 of my blade il 9 1/2.
I've checked on this website

http://www.skatetrix.ch/MK-Wilson-Blades/MK-Wilson-size-E_index.html

and noted that, if my sole is 245, the correct size of blades should be 9.1/4. Surfing o other websites, they told that the correct size would be 9.1/4 or 9.1/3.

9.1/2 would be for skate size 250.

What do you think about it? Should a keep my boots+blades as they are or I have to ask for a smaller size?
Thank you in advance and merry christmas again!!!!
bye bye!!!!!!

Your blades are only 3mm longer than the optimum length so I certainly would not be concerned.   These blades are identical to Coronation ACE only they have straight cut teeth and not the cross cut teeth of the ACE.

Enjoy!

Ian
Gold - May 2013

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 09:29:04 am »
It depends who you ask as to correct blade size to boot. Some say it should be 1/4 inche short of the heel but I subscribe to the Mischin philosophy where it goes from to to heel as closely as possible
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

HollyGlit

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 08:15:48 pm »
ok, I have measured my boots and my blades.

Boots are exactly 245 mm
Blades are exactly 243 mm (9.5)

CASE 1: then, if i get these blades, the distance between the end of the blade and the heel is 2 mm
CASE 2: otherwise, if I get the other blades (9.25), the distance becomes 8.5 mm

according to the "ideal distance", the max distance should be 0.25 less, so, the ideal distance for my skates would be 238.5

in CASE 1, the distance is 243
IDEAL DISTANCE is 238.5
in CASE 2, the distance would be 236.5

so, I have to do, what??!  I'd like to ask my couach, but she is away and it is very difficult to contact her via phone.

Help please!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy