Author Topic: Do you think male figure skating is too feminine?  (Read 3968 times)

Icy_Matt

Do you think male figure skating is too feminine?
« on: November 19, 2010, 11:00:54 am »
There is already some perceptions out there that figure skating is a feminine sport. Do you think the costumes of some male skaters with their body suits, feathers, frilly bits and sequins does anything to fight this perception? And what is the purpose of that particular attire? Do they want the audience or judges to go "wow, he looks pretty in that?"

Do you prefer to see strong, masculine, power skating in male skating or are you happy to see them skate the same as expected of female skaters? Do you think there's a problem with effeminate male skating?

And why was blades of glory so funny? Was it because it played on the generalization of male figure skaters?

Do you think this perception is turning a lot of little boys and young men away from skating?

Do you think current professional male skaters should provide a strong masculine role model for young males or not?

Do you think male figure skating is too feminine?

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:17:59 am by Icy_Matt »

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
Re: Do you think male figure skating is too feminine?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 11:44:07 am »
are you doing a psychology degree??  If not then you think about these things way too much ;D
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 12:39:25 pm »
I'm not being mean. Its just an observation :)
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

Yvonne

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 12:58:15 pm »
Blimey since when has Wayne Rooney swopped to red lycra and took up skating ha ha !.... The one with the flowers
Passed silver

Icy_Matt

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 01:27:38 pm »
Blimey since when has Wayne Rooney swopped to red lycra and took up skating ha ha !.... The one with the flowers

:o You're right. Does look like Wayne Rooney?   O0 I think this could be more scandalous than cheating on his wife ;D

And no SmellIce, I'm not doing a psych degree. Just thought the forum was a bit slow today, and we needed a discussion topic.
For the record, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing or being seen in a frilly, sequined lycra body suit. That's not what ice skating is about for me.  :)

Andy

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 03:43:57 pm »
Well to mix it up a bit..... and get a proper debate going what about the girls who wear hockey skates and look masculine , now is that alright .....

Andy

batikat

• videoing skate events - Two Door Video Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 04:04:40 pm »

They've all got flowers!  But the one in red lycra is the amazing Mr Kevin van der Perrin.  Hubby of our own Jenna McCorkell (UK).  Fabulous and very masculine skater with triple triple combos etc and a lovely guy to boot.

Brian Joubert (middle skater in pic) is one of my all time faves and again does not skate in a 'girly' style at all.

I'm not sure they are too bothered about their costumes (they have designers for that) and personally think they can carry it off OK.  Some of the costumes are terrible though (both mens and ladies).

Johnny Weir is probably one of the most effeminate skaters but he is an amazing skater and his costumes usually go well with whatever music he uses (he designs his own costumes) so it doesn't bother me whether the costume looks silly.

I dont' think the skaters worry about being role models- they worry about whether they can land their quad or not! ;D
NISA level 4 FM & FD, 3 CD, 2 el & free & var
2012 BACs Gold at bronze FD
2011 Oxford bronze FD - bronze
Team Fusion
2011 Brit synchro champs gold

xxemzxx

• Part time skater :)
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 04:51:19 pm »
No I don't think male figure skating is too feminine, I think male and female skaters have to have gutts to do the crazy jumps and lifts lol.

But I guess some of the costumes for the men and women can be good or a complete disaster haha

I think some boys/guys are turned away from skating by the idea that most male skaters are femminine (But this is so NOT true!!) But I see plenty of boys skating at the rink I go to.

The only male skater I can think of that is effeminate is Johnny Weir, but he is wonderful to watch. I love him because he is different from the more masculine skater like Brian Joubert, Evan Lysacek, Evgengi Plushenko etc.

I think all male skaters should be role models to young boys who take up skating.

This is a great little clip from Johnny's programme that gives his opinion on the whole feminine and Masculine debate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Tp_oiNzp0

Passed Skate UK level 10 14/05/12

Working on Passport.

Beemer

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 05:20:36 pm »
:o You're right. Does look like Wayne Rooney?   O0 I think this could be more scandalous than cheating on his wife ;D

And no SmellIce, I'm not doing a psych degree. Just thought the forum was a bit slow today, and we needed a discussion topic.
For the record, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing or being seen in a frilly, sequined lycra body suit. That's not what ice skating is about for me.  :)

You can air your own thoughts and opinions on many issues that we all are pleased to make contribution.  However to me some of your posts seem to be deliberately controversial.  

How would one of our male group who might be effeminate  feel when/if  he reads your post?   Perhaps you don't care,  but I do.  

We all have our opinions about how "others" behave and dress.  I do have an opinion and it could be one way, or the other, or neither,  but I'm not going to give you or anyone the opportunity to oppose my view.

You have stuck your stake in the ground so you will have to live with it.

Ian  

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:25:37 pm by Beemer »
Gold - May 2013

taichibear

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 05:51:59 pm »
Well said, Beemer  O0
Bears are born to ice skate!!

Skate UK
Level 1           02/07/2010
Level 2           29/07/2010
Fractured paw 28/09/2010
Level 3           07/01/2011
Sprained paw  01/03/2011
Level 4           11/03/2011

Yvonne

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 06:11:50 pm »
They've all got flowers! 

Well spotted  !!!!  O0

yes they've all got flowers but the guy in red in the pic underneath  underneath doesn't .   ;)

Just to clarify ha ha .
Passed silver

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy