Author Topic: "Are you good?"  (Read 19790 times)

ezika

• Hopelessly addicted to skating
"Are you good?"
« on: August 30, 2010, 08:50:32 pm »
It's inevitable when non-skaters find out you skate that they ask "are you good?"

I never know what to say! In comparison with them I probably am (assuming they can just about skate round at a public session). But in comparison with most skaters I know, I'm not! After over a year and a half of skating, I'm now officially a "beginner" by nisa's standards lol!

I normally say that I'm okay, that I'm learning to jump and spin, but this may leave them with the impression that i can do triples  ::) (after hearing that i was learning toe loop, my dad expected it to be triple toe loop, bless. I had to explain that first it's single, then it's double THEN it's triple, and i am never going to get a triple!!!)

What do you guys say to this question?

Started Skate UK 10/1/09
Passed Gold free 26/8/10

Working on upright spin, back spin, sit spin, camel spin, salchow, toe loop, loop, level 1FM

http://turniponice.blogspot.com/

Trayo

Re: "Are you good?"
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:52:03 pm »
I hate this question, but I've never been able to take compliments either.

I tend to rely with "Well, I'm still learning" and leave it at that.  My daughter has no such issues and usually replies with "Watch me and see!" before heading of into some routine or other.

Part of me feels horrified, most of me feels jealous  ;D

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:54:44 pm »
Hmm.. what do I say??   British adult pairs champion me!!  ;D

which is usually followed by  (can you do those twirly, jumpy things??   The answer is "yes, I can spin and jump!!"
thats usually enough to impress!! O0
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

ezika

• Hopelessly addicted to skating
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 08:59:58 pm »
Trayo the fact that you skate at all should impress them enough, as you stand there with your crutches!!!

Started Skate UK 10/1/09
Passed Gold free 26/8/10

Working on upright spin, back spin, sit spin, camel spin, salchow, toe loop, loop, level 1FM

http://turniponice.blogspot.com/

Trayo

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:01:27 pm »
Trayo the fact that you skate at all should impress them enough, as you stand there with your crutches!!!

Sadly, a lot of people think I am an idler spongng off the state don't even get state help)

You'd be amazed at how many people have reported me regarding blue badges because they know Ikate.  Luckily Ihave a very good consultant who alwayputs in a good word to shut them up :(

rach

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:01:28 pm »
I generally say not compared to and gesture at others, but i'm trying and learning but still got long way to go.x

Andy

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 09:55:22 pm »
 :) :) :) ok ish !!! as the next line will be do you wear those tight trousers and sparkley tops  >:(
Andy

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 10:00:27 pm »
:) :) :) ok ish !!! as the next line will be do you wear those tight trousers and sparkley tops  >:(
Andy

...but we all know that is exactly waht you wear on the rink

The Ice Mouse

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

Daydreamer

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 10:00:49 pm »
I tend to answer "No, I'm rubbish" because, for someone who's been skating two-and-a-half years, I'm really behind where I should be and it means people don't expect me to produce some sort of Olympic-style routine.  

I find, though, that "are you good?" is followed up by "can you do the triple axel?" (I think we all know the answer to that!) and "can you skate backwards?"  People are usually quite impressed when I tell them that actually, yes, I can.

Started skating: 9/1/08
Started Skate UK: 8/3/09
Passed Levels 1-3: 29/3/09
Passed Level 4: 24/5/09
Passed Level 5: 5/7/09
Passed Level 6: 16/8/09
Passed Level 7: 6/12/09
Passed Level 8: 19/2/11

batikat

• videoing skate events - Two Door Video Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 10:05:06 pm »
These days I usually say that compared to most people who just skate round in a public session, I am and I do have British Adult championship medals but that's it's not quite like the elite levels :)

A lot of people think you are  'good' if you can do a 3 turn ;D
NISA level 4 FM & FD, 3 CD, 2 el & free & var
2012 BACs Gold at bronze FD
2011 Oxford bronze FD - bronze
Team Fusion
2011 Brit synchro champs gold

tharr

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 11:28:13 pm »
Andy
Yes, always expect some dry comment about sequins.
After over a year and a half of skating, I'm now officially a "beginner" by nisa's standards lol!
Heard in Karate once you've got a black belt (=years of training)you can be said to be a 'good beginner' ready to really start learning..

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy