Author Topic: "Crunching along on the crest of a wave"  (Read 1244 times)

Beemer

"Crunching along on the crest of a wave"
« on: August 12, 2010, 07:47:01 pm »
Last night at my rink I was aware of a strange crunching noise coming from the hockey boots of a couple of speeding skaters.  It sounded like the crunching of glass granules every time they went past especially at the rink ends.

On looking closer it looked to me that their blades were white ceramic.  Is this possible and why would they sound different from steel blades?

Ian
Gold - May 2013

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

Re: "Crunching along on the crest of a wave"
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 07:51:07 pm »
They might have been T-Blades, which is a blade system for hockey skates, where basically when your blades go dull, you buy a replacement pair and slot them into the holders. They're known for making an odd noise.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Beemer

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 08:02:47 pm »
They might have been T-Blades, which is a blade system for hockey skates, where basically when your blades go dull, you buy a replacement pair and slot them into the holders. They're known for making an odd noise.

Thanks for that info.   It certainly would drive me nuts if I had bought these for recreational skating.

Ian
Gold - May 2013

Trayo

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 01:12:59 pm »
Don't these sound awful?  :P  The one advantage is you know they're coming up behind you.  No danger of them sneaking anywhere  ;)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 01:15:44 pm »
Now there's an idea! All wannabe hockey skate purchasers must complete a skating test. If you're deemed to be a competent skater and not someone who will endanger others, you're free to buy normal skates. If you fail, you have to have this system fitted to any hockey skates you buy! I know I'm stereotyping but I wear hockey skates and am a considerate individual :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy