Author Topic: What do you wear when skating?  (Read 11910 times)

ice angel

Re: What do you wear when skating?
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 08:28:29 pm »
I always wear layers to practice as I get really hot after I'm warmed up properly.  Skating tights with leggings and leg warmers on the bottom.  T-shirt, cardi and hoody on top.  Cosy gloves and a scarf (sometimes ear-mufffs) to top it off.  Then I take them all off one by as I get warmer.  I usually end up in just t-shirt, leggings and gloves.

I wore black boot-cut leggings and a plain long-sleeve fitted t-shirt for level one free test and a plain black dress with a dance length skirt for level 1 comp dance test. 

My ass looks HUGE in the leggings but I do not care.  They're comfy and I'm too busy doing something I love to give a jot!

caffn8me

• Global Moderator
  • Womble on ice (Novice)
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 12:32:34 am »
Goodness I thought i was the only outsize skater!!!

You're shrinking very nicely!

Sarah

Skate UK start: 24/02/09
Met The Ice Mouse: 27/03/09
Broke wrist: 24/04/09
NISA L1 FM pass: 29/03/10
English Style Prelim test: 7/08/11
Working on: L2, L3, L4 FM, L1 Comp.Dance

Spiders on coffee

eunicexie

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 07:06:52 am »
Hi

I do not compete, but for my lessons, I wear t-shirt (one is from Dancing on Ice, and one is with loads of synchro skater) inside, and tracksuit pants on the bottom (with padded shorts inside), and a Queensway ice rink club jacket on the outside.

When it is too hot, I may take out the Queensway Ice rink club jacket. However, I usually keep them on as after a while of being hot, then feel cold again, coz of the temperature in the ice rink.

I need the padded shorts, as I am now learning sit spin and am afraid of falling hard on the bum.  ;D

I used tracksuit pants as they are comfy for movement.

eunicexie (aka londonicechamp)

Started skating since January 2009
Now a full time investment banker intern in a French bank in Singapore (started the job since 18 January 2010)
Now working on ISI freestyle level 4: loop jump and sit spin
Hoping to achieve more great things this year.

taichibear

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 11:56:43 am »
How good do you have to be before you can get away with a skirt and leggings? I would love to wear those but have only been skating for a week and can imagine some of the things people at the rink might think! Right now I'm in jeans, t shirt and fleece, but skating skirts are so cute.
Bears are born to ice skate!!

Skate UK
Level 1           02/07/2010
Level 2           29/07/2010
Fractured paw 28/09/2010
Level 3           07/01/2011
Sprained paw  01/03/2011
Level 4           11/03/2011

BeckyM

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 12:06:38 pm »
How good do you have to be before you can get away with a skirt and leggings? I would love to wear those but have only been skating for a week and can imagine some of the things people at the rink might think! Right now I'm in jeans, t shirt and fleece, but skating skirts are so cute.
You don't have to wear a skating skirt. I know a lot of people who just wear skirts from the highstreet with leggings. I would really advise against skating in jeans unless they are super stretchy, it's just they really will restrict your movement and in particular one of the most important movements - bending your knee's.
Currently working on:
Spins - Sit, Camel & Scratch
Jumps - Loop & Flip

taichibear

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 12:35:47 pm »
Thanks for that! Jeans are super stretchy though and have no worries with restricted knee or any other movement. Most of the time they're great but sometimes I just want to be a bit more girly!
Bears are born to ice skate!!

Skate UK
Level 1           02/07/2010
Level 2           29/07/2010
Fractured paw 28/09/2010
Level 3           07/01/2011
Sprained paw  01/03/2011
Level 4           11/03/2011

Holly

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 01:34:14 pm »
long sleeved t-shirt & stretchy jeans, I'm not flexible enough to warrant breaking out leggins just yet :P
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic." : Rosalind Russell

rach

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 02:46:39 pm »

I really don't think anyone would say bad things about you wearing a skirt with leggings, it's just whatever you comfortable in.... the only people we have talked about wearing skirts when they really shouldn't have been were those who decided to wear tiny little skirts without tights or leggings, but wearing instead stockings and suspenders and very minimal underwear.... naturally she was discussed int he really, if you gonna be falling over or flailing around please cover up a bit more! leggings we would have loved to see her in! haha!
But seriously I don't think you have to be of any particular standard to skate in a skirt with leggings. Go for it!

Isolisk8

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2010, 03:00:02 pm »
Black Over the Boot skating leggings and a bright red Nike sports hoody  ;)

Isolisk8
Started Skate UK 20/02/2010
Passed levels 9 & 10 24/ 03/2011 YAY!!

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 03:42:07 pm »
I don't think I would suit leggings

The Ice Mouse

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

Isolisk8